Bottom half problems - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2018, 12:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Bottom half problems

Over the last couple of weeks my 5 year old basset has been struggling with issues all in the bottom half of her body. Last week she had dead leg but didn’t seem to be in any pain at all. One foot was just sort of, limp. I poked it and bent it she didn’t yelp or anything. By morning she was fine so i assumed she just had a sore muscle or something. I also noticed she’s been super itchy by her butt and back feet. I checked her for fleas and didn’t see anything alarming, plus would i not be getting bit myself if she had fleas? After checking her out a little i saw a lot of missing fur and raw skin just under her butt, like where her vagina starts, and at the base of her tail. We have a vet visit tomorrow because she’s due for her shots but I’m still just generally curious if this could be because the weater is changing so maybe she’s a little dry or if there’s something wrong with my baby. Any comments?
Tonks419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2018, 03:04 AM   #2 (permalink)

Get your vet to check her anal glands which can become impacted and infected, especially during periods of 'looseness'. Working as they should, and they should never be 'empty', they express just a small amount of what's in there with the passing of every normal stool. However sometimes things can go wrong and that means packing the glands with antibiotics after draining them (they will refil). More effective than oral antibiotics. And you will need to adjust her food, probably, or it could well happen again.

If you can', AVOID having the glands removed - it's a nasty surgery!!

ps I'm not sure whether this would affect the leg although if there's a trapped never (from a clogged gland??) it might. Def. one for the vet.
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 11:31 AM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

" checked her for fleas and didn’t see anything alarming, plus would i not be getting bit myself if she had fleas?"

DOGS can have fleas without it affecting the owner. Some dogs are allergic to flea saliva so only one bite creates a massive reaction. Can not discount anal gland issue or a neurological issue with the back. small disc rupture etc given the varied and multiple issues

https://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions...l_disc_disease

https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-p...atitis-in-dogs

Anal Sacs - Mar Vista Animal Medical Center

FWIW My groomer wife is against routine anal gland expression as it tend to create more problems than it solve. She never express gland unless asked to directly by the customer

Anal Glands & Impaction - Don't Make Matters Worse
"Routine expression of anal glands by people is not recommended. Rather it is best to let pets tell us if there is a problem first, typically through scooting behavior. Why? The tubes that connects each anal gland to the anus, (called ducts) as well as the resultant openings in the rectal wall (called puncta), are very narrow. The current theory is inappropriate and/or repeated expression of anal sacs creates meaningful inflammation in and around them. This inflammation subsequently obstructs the important ducts and/or puncti that can lead to chronic issues like a requirement for repeated human expression and formation of abscesses."
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-25-2018, 05:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

You might not see the actual fleas, but if there is black dirt over the base of her tail that is a sign of fleas. The test is to take the dirt and add water, if it turns red it is probably flea dirt.

Could be allergies too.

Glad you are seeing the vet, so many possible causes.
Eowyn - FC Soundtrack Rain Dance MHH OAJ NAP
Faith - Soundtrack Gotta Have Faith HH
Pumpkin - FC Soundtrack Smashing Pumpkins SHH
Hope - Soundtrack Pandora's Box HH
Harriet - Soundtrack Black Magic Woman
Patch - Ch Soundtrack Superstitious Feeling
Junior - Soundtrack Sorcerer's Apprentice
Simon - Soundtrack I Put A Spell On You
Soundtrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 03:24 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey T View Post

FWIW My groomer wife is against routine anal gland expression as it tend to create more problems than it solve. She never express gland unless asked to directly by the customer

I'd have to agree - all too often groomers do this draining automatically which is unnecessary. The only point in draining is to see if there IS a problem and the only person to decide that, would be a vet. If drained, they will refill unless what's causing the problem, usually food/stool firmness, is adjusted.
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement