Female - Hanging teats - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2018, 09:46 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Female - Hanging teats

***Please forgive my lack of terminology and such***

I have a female basset, she turned 1 in April.

About 2-3 months ago I noticed that her teats started to hang a little as if she was pregnant. Not too much but enough to be noticed. The last ones, near her rear, hang the most and are..."chubby" like if they had milk.

Im no dog expert so I dont know what to look for or feel for exactly, so I'm asking the Basset community to help me out here.

Shes be normal. Nothing strange about her. I will say the following...

Her first heat was in October 2017....roughly 6 months after she was born. I never saw any spotting but I could see she was swollen and had that distinctive smell. Also licking a lot. Also my male basset chasing her around and licking her like his last meal.

Then it was over. Strange part is, her next heat should have been in April again...but it came in like February. This time, LOTS of spotting. My male trying to mount her day and night. He was CRAZY.

I kept her separated. All good. watched over her, all well. Finally passed, all is good.

I dont understand why her teats are hanging though. Or why the back ones look like they have a little milk in them.

Is this normal?

I give them meals 3x times a day....

Morning
Afternoon
Evening (very small amount to curb their never ending hunger)

Anyway ideas? Thank you all!
noloc45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2018, 10:52 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

false pregnancy. It is the way a dogs estrus works. the Hormone act like they are pregnant even when they are not

False Pregnancy (Pseudocyesis) in Dogs
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 03:13 AM   #3 (permalink)

PROVIDED there's no possibility your male did catch her ..... ? I'd go with this being a false pregnancy and if it's happened once, chances are it will keep happening after every season UNTIL you get her spayed. This is hormonal and will pull her down if it is allowed to keep happening.

I had one who came in bang on 6 months (unusual for mine who normally started at around 8 months and cycled with that interval). She came in 5 months later at which point, as not only was she really not up to scratch (show/breeding) I couldn't keep dealing with that and the angst to my resident boys, I had her spayed. Problem over.

I also wonder whether now is a good time to back off the 3 meals. This is a breed prone to GDV (Bloat with torsion) so splitting the daily amount into smaller meals is good, but by a year (how old is he?) she at any rate, should manage on breakfast around 7 am and a second meal, same size, before 5 pm to allow for digestion before bed.

Add - If she has milk there, DO NOT MILK HER or it will encourage more lactation. She may need your vet to give her something to help scatter the milk. Cut back on the protein (actually food in general), for now.

Last edited by FranksMum; 05-19-2018 at 03:16 AM.
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-21-2018, 03:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranksMum View Post
PROVIDED there's no possibility your male did catch her ..... ? I'd go with this being a false pregnancy and if it's happened once, chances are it will keep happening after every season UNTIL you get her spayed. This is hormonal and will pull her down if it is allowed to keep happening.

I had one who came in bang on 6 months (unusual for mine who normally started at around 8 months and cycled with that interval). She came in 5 months later at which point, as not only was she really not up to scratch (show/breeding) I couldn't keep dealing with that and the angst to my resident boys, I had her spayed. Problem over.

I also wonder whether now is a good time to back off the 3 meals. This is a breed prone to GDV (Bloat with torsion) so splitting the daily amount into smaller meals is good, but by a year (how old is he?) she at any rate, should manage on breakfast around 7 am and a second meal, same size, before 5 pm to allow for digestion before bed.

Add - If she has milk there, DO NOT MILK HER or it will encourage more lactation. She may need your vet to give her something to help scatter the milk. Cut back on the protein (actually food in general), for now.
Thank you for the info. I will cut back on the 3 meals. She's 1, he's 2.

He goes INSANE when she's in heat. Like a little wild.

I guess its hormonal as she is otherwise normal and runs about like nothing is happening.

Thank you all for the info!
noloc45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 02:58 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by noloc45 View Post
He goes INSANE when she's in heat. Like a little wild.

Of course he does ...... you can't expect any entire male to remain happy when under the same roof as a female in heat. The urge to mate is too strong. And actually it's cruel, in my view, to expect this unless you have a completely separate area for her - including going somewhere outside that he can't get to!! As said, please get her spayed once this season ends - the ideal time is half-way between seasons, when the repro.system is 'dormant'.
Old 05-22-2018, 04:36 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Of course he does ...... you can't expect any entire male to remain happy when under the same roof as a female in heat. The urge to mate is too strong. And actually it's cruel, in my view, to expect this unless you have a completely separate area for her - including going somewhere outside that he can't get to!! As said, please get her spayed once this season ends - the ideal time is half-way between seasons, when the repro.system is 'dormant'.
Yep, that is easily "fixed".
Eowyn - FC Soundtrack Rain Dance MHH OAJ NAP
Faith - Soundtrack Gotta Have Faith HH
Pumpkin - FC Soundtrack Smashing Pumpkins SHH
Hope - Soundtrack Pandora's Box HH
Harriet - Soundtrack Black Magic Woman
Patch - Ch Soundtrack Superstitious Feeling
Junior - Soundtrack Sorcerer's Apprentice
Simon - Soundtrack I Put A Spell On You
Soundtrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 06:14 AM   #7 (permalink)

Years ago I had a Bassett that had two false pregnancies. The first time, she did not have any access to a male of any breed, neutered or not. Weirdest thing ever. She was nesting excessively in my backyard and in the house. Her body was ready to nurse a liter of ten. Crazy. The second time I took her to a breeder for stud service. Show dogs. I was Just bedside myself with excitement. I wanted one of her babies so badly!! Nope, false again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
kimberlybomer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 08:29 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberlybomer67 View Post
Years ago I had a Bassett that had two false pregnancies. The first time, she did not have any access to a male of any breed, neutered or not. Weirdest thing ever. She was nesting excessively in my backyard and in the house. Her body was ready to nurse a liter of ten. Crazy. The second time I took her to a breeder for stud service. Show dogs. I was Just bedside myself with excitement. I wanted one of her babies so badly!! Nope, false again.

Fact is as this is normally 'hormonal', quite often those who do this are difficult to actually get in whelp. Basset dams can be very maternal, but if you get one like this - false pregnancies each time - my best advice is to spay and be done with all that.
Old 08-14-2018, 09:48 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Fact is as this is normally 'hormonal', quite often those who do this are difficult to actually get in whelp. Basset dams can be very maternal, but if you get one like this - false pregnancies each time - my best advice is to spay and be done with all that.

Iím sure you meant for that to go to the OP since I wish just telling her about a Bassett I had 30 years ago.

kimberlybomer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement