Possible Lymphoma - Page 3 - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2018, 01:09 PM   #21 (permalink)

Lots to update about Miss Gracie. In September, the lymphoma started coming back full force and we had a large mass growing on her mammary chain which was cancerous. We started heavy chemotherapy again, and elected for surgery. She did great under anesthesia, and healed very quickly. We removed 3 masses during this time.

She bounced back, her lymph nodes stayed pretty small. 2 weeks ago her lymph nodes began swelling up again. She also now has a lymph node along her colon that is swelling and making her slightly constipated. We tried chemotherapy again this past Monday, we have resistance to the current protocol. I was really upset this past week, I could tell she wasn't feeling great, the chemotherapy wasn't working. Her appetite for regular dog food wasn't the best. There were even days she was turning her head up at the steak or chicken. After the chemotherapy, I noticed she seemed sore in that limb. She's always had a bad front right wrist. She was limping. The problem was being on steroids and not being able to use a NSAID like rimadyl. She's on gabapentin for pain, but that wasn't helping as it makes her a little less coordinated than usual. I thought for sure maybe we hurt her wrist when we were administering chemo, or something worse like it had gotten out of the vein and was causing damage to the tissue. I had been wrapping it and applying ice to it the first few days, then I noticed swelling. Duh, it's lymphatic edema. To put the cherry on the top of all of this, she now has a boney mass on her skull that appeared since last Saturday.

She went with me to work yesterday, her limp has gotten better. I've been soaking her front leg in epson salt baths. We applied fentanyl patches and she has antibiotics on board. She's eaten much better since managing the pain yesterday. She's been a hot mess. I spent a lot of time questioning if I was doing what was right the past week or if I should just let her go and when. When this all started, I promised to her I wouldn't make her suffer. She's just been such a fighter! We are 11 months past her diagnosis. I'm incredibly proud of her.

I've been in touch with the local oncologist. She goes to see her Monday, and it's going to cost me a bit of cash. Luckily, I get a discount as I'm a R.V.T. We are going to try to "rescue remedy" of l-asparginase, and try a new oral protocol different from the cyclophosamide. I hope it goes well.

Do I have any regrets about the last 11 months of these treatments? No. Overall, chemo hasn't been hard on her. She's been herself until just this past week. She eats like a hog, she maintains her hefty weight. She goes everywhere with me. She hasn't been in much pain. Usually there is about 2 or 3 days max of crappy feeling after the chemotherapy which requires some TLC, requiring home-cookin'. I know the time is soon. We aren't giving up yet though. We are giving this one more fight, if it doesn't work, I know it's time.

Reminiscing of younger days:

Last edited by MamaGracie; 11-18-2018 at 01:12 PM.
MamaGracie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2018, 06:20 AM   #22 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

incredible story about what can be done, and give hope for others in the future.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 11:24 AM   #23 (permalink)

Things have not been well since the rescue remedy. Today, we end our fighting. At 2pm, my Gracie will cross the rainbow bridge. Thank you for all that read. I only hope to provide more knowledge to those going to similar situations.
Attached Thumbnails
Possible Lymphoma-20181124_104532_1543076562190.jpg  
MamaGracie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2018, 04:32 PM   #24 (permalink)

I have been away from the forum for a while, I am so sorry for your loss. You gave her almost an additional year....that is huge. We also had a loss in November, our old Walker rescue, Stanley, the big boy in my avatar, went to the bridge, it is the hardest thing to do.
PollyEster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement