Possible Lymphoma - Page 2 - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2018, 10:16 AM   #11 (permalink)

So my girl got her first round of chemotherapy Tuesday. She felt fine that night, the next day Wednesday, definitely more sluggish, ate 3 meals though if I sat there and hand fed her.
Yesterday, she woke up like she didn't even have chemo, ran around, ran inside for breakfast, gobbled it, threw up 4 hours post breakfast.
She felt weak, sick, and had me worried all morning. I was measuring her temperature which did end up elevating between 103-103.5. Being the neurotic vet tech I am, all I could think of was sepsis. I always think of the worst possible thing. So we hopped in the car and headed to the vet.

We got anti-nausea injections, famotidine and an antibiotic shot. Our fever had dropped by the time we were at the vet. I got some more oral meds and oral nausea meds if she's feeling off. He suggested canned I/D which I knew she wouldn't eat, the only other time in her life that she got a stomach ache, she wouldn't touch that stuff. I tried mashed potatoes and chicken. No luck. I made a new batch of mashed potatoes and tried lean hamburger meat and drained it, she ate about 10 spoonfuls before giving up. She ate a 1/3 of a cucumber (her favorite) and I woke her up at about 10pm for half a peanut butter sandwich and 1/8 cup of cat food, which she ate enthusiastically.

This morning: she woke up, had her cbd dose and ate the rest of her dinner from the night before. She had another 1/3 of a cucumber, and we're doing okay. No vomit! She's not as weak as yesterday. She's a sleepy girl, but she's always been like that :P

I have noticed her lymph nodes have shrank substantially with just one treatment. They are still palpable but this gives me hope for in the long run.
Here's to hoping for a smooth weekend and normal white blood cell counts Monday morning.
MamaGracie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2018, 10:00 AM   #12 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Glad to hear she seems to be taking it reasonably well.
Eowyn - FC Soundtrack Rain Dance MHH OAJ NAP
Faith - Soundtrack Gotta Have Faith HH
Pumpkin - FC Soundtrack Smashing Pumpkins SHH
Hope - Soundtrack Pandora's Box HH
Harriet - Soundtrack Black Magic Woman
Patch - Ch Soundtrack Superstitious Feeling
Junior - Soundtrack Sorcerer's Apprentice
Simon - Soundtrack I Put A Spell On You
Soundtrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 11:59 AM   #13 (permalink)

Update...

After 4 weeks of chemotherapy we have achieved remission!!! I do not have any regrets thus far about my decision and I'm so proud of her for being so strong. There were a few bad days after chemo doses but she has pulled through and maintained her chubby weight of 72lbs. We still have maintenance chemotherapy, but it's not weekly. Wooo.

Only issue now is trying to wean her down off the prednisone. I've tried twice to go to every other day and each time she misses a dose, she feels puny and has no appetite. We are going to slowly decrease her actual dosage and work from there. I do fear the steroids more than any other part of process as they can lead to other issues like diabetes or Addison's disease.

Anyway, thanks for reading. I'm a happy mom. [IMG class=inlineimg]http://www.basset.net/boards/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]

Last edited by MamaGracie; 02-28-2018 at 12:01 PM.

Old 03-01-2018, 06:53 AM   #14 (permalink)

Glad things are going so well! It takes time to wean off prednisone, we had to reduce the dose by TINY amounts, meanwhile it does boost the appetite....so not all bad. I have found that smelly foods seem to have more appeal....try some fish based stuff....cat food always seems a treat, and like ours the ol peanut butter Sammy is always desired and seems to stay down. Small amounts constantly was our plan. Plain old hamburger buns work too....part of my any calorie in a storm. I mixed some cat food on torn up bread and that stayed down. Sounds like you are being a great nurse! Hang in there!
PollyEster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 10:35 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PollyEster View Post
Glad things are going so well! It takes time to wean off prednisone, we had to reduce the dose by TINY amounts, meanwhile it does boost the appetite....so not all bad. I have found that smelly foods seem to have more appeal....try some fish based stuff....cat food always seems a treat, and like ours the ol peanut butter Sammy is always desired and seems to stay down. Small amounts constantly was our plan. Plain old hamburger buns work too....part of my any calorie in a storm. I mixed some cat food on torn up bread and that stayed down. Sounds like you are being a great nurse! Hang in there!
I took your advice when I read this, and I have steadily been decreasing her amount of prednisone by 5mg each week. She's down to 10mg once a day and we started at 30 and were steady on that for a good boost period. I also been feeding her bread, peanut butter, canned sardines(water only) or honestly, whatever she wants when she wont eat after chemo treatments. I've been making her a waffle some morning loaded with chinese herbs and mushrooms supplement, she loves it. She started to get really spoiled though for a period where she knew if she held out, she'd get whatever I was eating which wasn't necessarily bad, but just made her rotten.

-We are just around 3 months since I first felt her swollen lymph nodes. Time really flies and not a day goes by that I don't cherish her dearly. It's hard to even really get mad at her for being naughty She's playing, she's running around, she's barking and howling if you ask her "Are you hungry", she's honestly just like herself, maybe even a little spunkier some days.

All I can say is that I'm grateful for everyday I get with her while she's still here.
Old 04-11-2018, 07:33 AM   #16 (permalink)

So glad to hear she is doing well!! When my dad was failing, our family doctor said there is a point where ANY calorie is a Good calorie....I take that to heart. I forgot to mention waffles! YES....they love them....cornbread & pancakes too. Be careful with herbs as there can be some interactions with meds..... Hope you have many more happy days with your gal.
PollyEster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 03:35 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaGracie View Post
I took your advice when I read this, and I have steadily been decreasing her amount of prednisone by 5mg each week.
I hope you are doing this with the advice OF YOUR VET. Pred. is a mild form of chemo.
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 11:06 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranksMum View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaGracie View Post
I took your advice when I read this, and I have steadily been decreasing her amount of prednisone by 5mg each week.
I hope you are doing this with the advice OF YOUR VET. Pred. is a mild form of chemo.

Yes, I am very thorough with my vet over everything I do with her. He is my former boss and once I move back to area in the next month, I will be working at the animal hospital again as a RVT. Do not worry. 🙂

We are weaning her off the pred in hopes to have it available again to her in the future when and if she needs.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:22 AM   #19 (permalink)

Hello all.
We are nearing 6 months since we were first diagnosed. We were doing great until we went two different times, 4 weeks between treatments, the protocol is 3 weeks. Her lymph nodes enlarged again but I got her back to vet, we went back to weekly treatments for the past 4 weeks and nodes are normally sized again. We are back to every 3 weeks which Im grateful for.

She does great most days, she has had energy, gone to river, and played with her best friends. She has gotten really rotten with eating. She doesnt want to eat her expensive dog kibble anymore. I petsit a lot and she would rather eat the cheapo big bag of dog food that they buy or of course mom's cooking, which i still do for her most days. It feels like i have a toddler. The chemo makes her nose runny and dry so I'm constantly clearing gross boogers out(lol) and applying vaseline to outside. But I think her appetite is much better when she can smell with that big nose.

She sleeps well every night(thank you cbd oil), no more potty breaks at crazy hours because of prednisone.

Anyway, thanks for reading!!!
<3

Last edited by MamaGracie; 06-21-2018 at 09:03 AM.
Old 06-21-2018, 01:58 PM   #20 (permalink)
Super Moderator

That is fantastic, I'm glad to hear she is doing well.
Eowyn - FC Soundtrack Rain Dance MHH OAJ NAP
Faith - Soundtrack Gotta Have Faith HH
Pumpkin - FC Soundtrack Smashing Pumpkins SHH
Hope - Soundtrack Pandora's Box HH
Harriet - Soundtrack Black Magic Woman
Patch - Ch Soundtrack Superstitious Feeling
Junior - Soundtrack Sorcerer's Apprentice
Simon - Soundtrack I Put A Spell On You
Soundtrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement