Glaucoma - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2016, 08:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Glaucoma

We had our 9 year old dog Flash's eye removed because of glaucoma. It's been 6 days and he is doing great. My question is we are doing drops in the other eye hoping he doesn't get it there. Does anyone have experience with this and if your dog has gotten in both eyes, how long after the first eye did this happen??
AllgoodAd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2016, 05:51 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

Sorry for the bad news but Even with drops it is exceedingly rare that the dog does not lose sight in the other eye within 2 years.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 10:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

Just wondering if he had to have the other removed. We are dealing with the same thing. Ours had one removed december. Giving drops now. Anyone else have this issue?
Bear6120@comcast.net is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2019, 03:21 AM   #4 (permalink)

Unfortunately it's highly likely that the other eye will blow and have to be removed, although I don't know about the timing. Thankfully the only eye problem I've had with both my line, and my current buy in Basset, is ulcerated cornea. My last hound suffered with this, in one eye and it had to be debrided, and eventually to aid healing, the third eyelid stitched across - which he managed to rub out despite my best efforts. Thankfully a 90% heal had been achieved. As it happened his problem was degenerative and he was in his final years.

My current boy (also 9) was squinting one morning, after I had been noticing, and treating him, rather bloodshot eyes. That morning I took him straight into my vet who discovered ulcers IN BOTH EYES. How this happened to both eyes I have no idea. Thankfully he seems to be responding to treatment - antibiotic opthalmic drops + ulcer healing drops, at first 4 times a day for the latter, and twice a day for the other. He is now on 2 treatments daily of both with improvement and without the need for the debriding grid treatment (or the third eyelid tack).

Glaucoma is around in the breed, and unfortunately within one of the lines now favoured across the world. We in the UK can test for the condition that predisposes to glaucoma which active breeders are using and which should help the breed.

Be of good heart - the first sense of all dogs is smell which is the first and last sense dogs have (puppy into old age), and we lived with one, in her final years (13+) who lost her sight (not glaucoma but crop spray hit one eye) + old age. And she managed just fine other than the once when becoming disoriented, she wandered towards the road - I had to do a sprint to catch her.

I'm sorry you, and your hound, have to go through this.
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 10:28 AM   #5 (permalink)

https://petcentral.chewy.com/underst...ucoma-in-dogs/

"Vets will try to determine whether a dog has primary or secondary glaucoma to determine treatment and if the other eye will be impacted.

“If it is truly primary or genetic glaucoma, the fellow eye will definitely be affected somewhere down the road,” Dr. Holmberg says. “If it’s secondary glaucoma, depending on the cause of that underlying inflammation, it might just be that one eye.”

Your vet can start early treatment of the second eye in primary glaucoma and likely delay the onset of the disease in that fellow eye by months or even years, he says."

don't know one basset owner dealing with Primary glaucoma that did not have the dog developed it in the other eye within 2 years regardless of what preventative measure were taken.
Old 08-21-2019, 10:42 AM   #6 (permalink)

if in UK or Europe there is a DNA test for one type of Primary Glaucoma over there, does not appear to be in U.S. except of an import or two. US has a different form that has no genetic test yet. there may be multiforms or multiple genes involved
Sponsored Links
Advertisement