Cherry Eye? - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2012, 04:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Cherry Eye?

We had our 5 month old basset out all last weekend, in the yard, at the dog park, and walks because it was so beautiful outside. On Monday, I noticed one of his eyes was really red. He has really really droopy eyes, but his one eye was exceptionally red and had discharge coming out of it, like eye goop. I took him to the vet on Tuesday and he said he thought it may just be allergies due to being outside all weekend. He gave us some topical cream stuff to put on it. By tuesday night it was worse, almost swollen looking. I called the vet back and now he's saying it could be cherry eye and that he would have to cut it off. From what I've been reading about cherry eye, it usually looks like it's in the corner of a dog's eye, but this swollen red is the whole bottom of his eye, not just in a corner. The red part looks puffy and raised, but not like a lump like cherry eye looks in pictures. I just don't want to put the dog through a costly procedure if that's not what it really is. Any advice, please let me know!!!
mabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2012, 06:48 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

Quote:
. I called the vet back and now he's saying it could be cherry eye and that he would have to cut it off.
cherry eye is the prolaps of the tear duct in the corner of the eye removal is not the general course of action because this only creates other problems down the road. The skill of the surgion dictates the result many time the tack does not hold and need to be redone when done by those less skilled in the procedure.

Rather than cherry eye is could be "Pink eye" conjuctivitis which is usual treated by antibiotic and anti-imflamatories like steriods.

Conjunctivitis in Dogs
Quote:
The classic signs of conjunctivitis are a red eye with a discharge

...When the discharge involves both eyes, suspect an allergy

Mild cases of follicular conjunctivitis respond to antibiotic and corticosteroid eye ointments prescribed by your veterinarian. In resistant cases, the follicles may need to be destroyed by chemical cauterization.
Purulent conjunctivitis requires veterinary examination and treatment. It is important to remove mucus and pus from the eyes, as well as pus and crusts that adhere to the eyelids.
sound like a bit of confusion over terminology give your discription it matches Pink eye not cherry eye

Last edited by Mikey T; 04-05-2012 at 07:53 PM.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Cocker had Cherry eye when I adopted him. In fact its the reason some a$$ hole turned him into Animal control. If your guy has one and its confirmed, it is a simple procedure, whereby they put them under and stitch the cherry eye the no longer should remove the tear duct as that causes bigger issues. It cost a couple hundred bucks, he was up and running the following day, he had a Ecollar for a week, but it was worth it. You would never tell he had one a year later. No goo, no conmstant drops, no irritation.

I wold have your vet confirm what it is ad if they want to remove the duct get a second opinion with a vet who is wise of the stitch method.
eclairs mom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2012, 07:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Do you have a picture? Your description does not sound like cherry eye.

You might want to get a second opinion. Although I am not a vet, it sounds to me more like irritation or infection and I would be looking at antibiotic drops or ointment and maybe an anti-inflammatory.
Eowyn - FC Soundtrack Rain Dance MHH OAJ NAP
Faith - Soundtrack Gotta Have Faith HH
Pumpkin - FC Soundtrack Smashing Pumpkins SHH
Hope - Soundtrack Pandora's Box HH
Harriet - Soundtrack Black Magic Woman
Patch - Ch Soundtrack Superstitious Feeling
Junior - Soundtrack Sorcerer's Apprentice
Simon - Soundtrack I Put A Spell On You

Last edited by Soundtrack; 04-06-2012 at 07:11 AM.
Soundtrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

One of my Bassets had a cherry eye op when she was just over a year old and yours doesn't sound the same as my girl, who had a raised pink 'lump' in the corner of her eye, at a slight angle and since the op has not had a problem until fairly recently, when I have noticed her eye waters a bit, or rather the fur to one side often looks a bit wet and having already paid over 180 in drops, cream and Metacam for this, with little or no difference (my vet sends everyone out with Metacam and charges over 25 for the tiniest bottle) It probably adds to their profits as I can't see it being relevant to a watery eye!!!!

Have you got a picture of the eye? I'll try to find one of mine tomorrow.
SophieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

Any news on your pup's eye please?
Old 04-10-2012, 04:41 PM   #7 (permalink)

I contacted another vet and he prescribed a different antibiotic ointment that also has a steroid anti-inflammatory in it. The eye doesn't seem to be bothering bo at all and if we wait until he's asleep to put the medicine in, he doesn't even know we are doing it. I still don't feel like it's a true cherry eye and after reading others descriptions, I feel it's just an inflammation. Some days it looks better, then the next day it's back to being inflamed. The vet that is going to neuter him is the one that is giving us the new medicine and he said worst case is if it doesn't work, he can take care of it at the same time he is getting neutered. I'm dreading that day. My other basset, his brother bernie hasn't dropped his other testicle yet, so they are both going in the same day and I'm just as worried about bernie and the procedure to go in and "find" it. I just keep praying that by May 11, the testicle will drop and bo's eye will be back to normal. If I can get a picture of him (which he hates) I'll post it so my description will make sense of what i'm seeing.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:26 PM   #8 (permalink)

Just had a quick google and found this picture of a cherry eye (not a Basset) but you can see what it's like.

I hope all goes well for you as it's such a worry when our dogs have a problem!
Old 04-10-2012, 08:29 PM   #9 (permalink)

OK I got lucky and he let me take some pictures.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:06 PM   #10 (permalink)

Default Pictures of my dog's eye. Is it cherry eye?

Pics of my dog's eye
Attached Thumbnails
Cherry Eye?-001.jpg   Cherry Eye?-002.jpg   Cherry Eye?-003.jpg   Cherry Eye?-004.jpg   Cherry Eye?-007.jpg  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement