Ear yeast infection - alternative treatments? - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2012, 07:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation Ear yeast infection - alternative treatments?

Hello!

We are currently battling ear yeast infection with our 3 year old basset.
So far we have tried mometamax(two treatments worth), one KET treatment, and we have just had one more KET treatment today for his ears. He is very senseitive about his ears, which is why we tried the KET, as the mometamax was not getting deep enough into his canal.

Although there has been siginicant improvement in his ear condition, the yeast is still being produced in the deeper portion of his ear canal. If the second KET does not get rid of the yeast, our vet is suggesting an oral antifungal, which brings the danger of liver problems. I am hoping to find an alternative to this if this second KET treatment does not do the job.

I have switched his diet recently to a grain free and potato free kibble, with the hopes that this will help get rid of the yeast by eliminating the yeast in his diet.

I also use K-9 Ear Solutions for an ear cleaner, which was recommended by friends as being good for yeast in ears.

Does anyone have any other possible solutions to offer in this situation?
We are also considering allergy testing before the oral antifungal, as we believe if he is allerigic to something in his diet or environment, an antifungal won't improve the situation - althgouh the vet seems to be pushing for the oral antifungal.

Any thoughts or suggestions you have would be greatly appreaciated.

Thank You!
DLbasset is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2012, 07:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

Annie had stinky, yeasty, yucky ears for years. I changed her to better food and used
Zymox Otic with Hydrocortisone Zymox Otic with Hydrocortisone
for 2 weeks straight. No more problems with her ears
Annie714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 02:03 AM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

Quote:
I have switched his diet recently to a grain free and potato free kibble, with the hopes that this will help get rid of the yeast by eliminating the yeast in his diet.
the carb /sugar feed yeast theory is not substantiated however what you purpose does not have a chance of working simply because all catrb breag down to suggar. Kibble manufacture requires a starch at a minimum 17% but most pet food are much higher. any stearch is going to break down to sugar os a grain free that use tappioca for instance at the stearch can have a much higher carb content than a food that contains grain which results in mor sugar and by virtual of the un substantiate theory more yeast. You need a no carb diet which eliminates kibble.

there is one very basic question that need to be answered and that is is the ear drum intacted. the reason that it is important is man of the alternitives are otictoxic which may tesult in temproary or permenante deafness and balance issue. If the ear durm is intact it brevets the clearner solution from reaching the middle and inner ear and doing damage.

before recommending so alternative treatment it is impreative to know if the eardrum is intacted. In cronic cases it is often likely niot to be and given than many conventional and alternative treatments are otic toxic this can lead to tempory or permenent deafness if thes chemical are used and otic toxic chemical can effect blanace. as well/
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-2012, 10:22 AM   #4 (permalink)

I don't know what KET is. Are his ears really red and swollen? I tried allot of different things I even used womens vaginal yeast cream and did kill the yeast but my basset Turtle also had bacteria and that is what I had such a hard time killing.

I never did use Zymox but have since heard that it is good. I took her off all carbs and now just use Clear Blue to clean her ears and they have been good for about a year now.

I have not heard good things about the allergy tests that they are very expensive and not that reliable.

I am curious how do they have grain and potato free kibble or is that not what your feeding? There would have to be something to hold it together.

I would be trying something else instead of something that might not be good for the liver. Maybe put Apple cider Vinegar in his food, or I think Grape Seed Extracted may be anti fungal. I am just learning about it and have not ordered any yet but have been given a good one to buy, just haven't gotten it yet. I will find this out if you are interested.
Herzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:28 AM   #5 (permalink)

When we first got Ethel Pickle she had a yeasty ear. We did a treatmene of ottomax and also gave her a few TBSP of plain yogourt in her meals. it worked for hers
eclairs mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
KET
= ketoconazole an antifugal agent yeast=fungus as well

for a anternative therapy provided there is no issue with the ear drum the blue power ear cleaner solution works for many where other more convential treatments fails it contain a ;large number of anti fungal agent to work syergistically together unfortunately most of the are otictoxic
Blue Power Ear Treatment
Quote:

Caution
: please have your veterinarian evaluate your dog's ear drum prior to treating
the ear problem yourself.
Be certain that the ear drum is NOT ruptured, as there could
be the risk of irreversible deafness or loss of equilibrium. Your vet can rule out the
presence of tumors or foreign bodies such as foxtails. A microscope smear would reveal
bacteria, yeast or mites and then a culture and sensitivity test can be performed.

Old 04-06-2012, 07:26 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

You might want to try a homemade, starch free diet (no kibble can be starch free as it's needed to hold the kibbles together), or even start with a one or two ingredient elimination diet using a novel protein to see if there is an underlying food allergy. I had great success with this with a previous Basset with horrible skin and ears - after a lot of experimenting with diet I discovered that he was allergic to a list of foods as long as my arm. If there is an allergy you cannot permanently fix the ears until the allergies are taken care of.
Webster had the mother of all ear infections, once the allergies were addressed I was able to use the Blue Power to clear them up permanently.
Eowyn - FC Soundtrack Rain Dance MHH OAJ NAP
Faith - Soundtrack Gotta Have Faith HH
Pumpkin - FC Soundtrack Smashing Pumpkins SHH
Hope - Soundtrack Pandora's Box HH
Harriet - Soundtrack Black Magic Woman
Patch - Ch Soundtrack Superstitious Feeling
Junior - Soundtrack Sorcerer's Apprentice
Simon - Soundtrack I Put A Spell On You
Soundtrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:02 AM   #8 (permalink)

Just wanted to say thank you to all who replied. We are still working on getting rid of his ear infection. Although it is much better than it was when we first started treatment, it is still not gone. I have just started using just the Xymox ear cleaner. So far, it seems to be helping some, but not enough. I have not decided on whether or not I should try Otic W/ Hydrocortizone or without it.

I would also love to hear anyones recommendations on a good diet that uses home made foods. I have seen a couple on this post which I will look into, but any other suggestions would be great.

Thanks!
DLbasset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:48 AM   #9 (permalink)

the is way to much to do the subject justice on a forum such as this and cauld cause some serious harm If you are interested in pursuing this I would suggest
Dog  health and Nutrition for  dummies Dog health and Nutrition for dummies
by Chris Zink one of the fore most vet experts sports medicine for dogs. as a good starting off point.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:22 PM   #10 (permalink)

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned THORNITS powder which works wonders!! Up until a friend recommended using it about six years ago (a large pinch once a week) I was forever at the vets with my Bassets' ears needing antibiotics, cleaning etc and I think liquid cleaner keeps the ears moist and encourages bacteria.

My two Bassets will be four years old towards the end of this month and neither has ever been to the vet for ear problems because once a week they both get a big pinch of the powder in each ear (rubbed in) and it keeps them clean and sweet smelling.

If dogs ears do get a bit dirty, or itchy, just put the Thornits in every day for a few days and any problem will clear up. I have recommended it to other friends and all have found it to be brilliant and save a lot of money at the vets!!!

You probably can't beat the old-fashioned remedies and Thornits goes back to 1907.

http://www.thornitearpowder.com/

http://www.petmeds.co.uk/p-528-thornit-ear-powder.aspx (click on reviews)

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/ear-products-c-8/thornit-canker-powder-for-dogs-cat-and-rabbits-p-7223
SophieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement