New to the breed, have a few questions - Page 3 - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2011, 08:26 PM   #21 (permalink)

We've been following Flash's story and are so happy that she is on the road to recovery! Please keep us updated!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2011, 09:24 PM   #22 (permalink)

So happy Flash has a second chance at the life she deserves.......she reminds me of my Annie who I adopted as a stray from the animal shelter. Some breeder dumped her and her "hubby" out on a farm. When I got her, the smell was awful. Her teeth were in bad shape and after a few days of having her I realized she had a stick stuck in the roof of her mouth, removing that helped the breath dramatically. The tip of her tail and her belly, paws, etc were all tan colored like they were Mud?stained even after bathing. I think she was kept outside as well, at least part of the time perhaps in a cage of sort because she took to her crate right away. My girl had "mastitis" when I got her and was on antibiotics from the shelter. She also had a couple breast lumps that thankfully disappeared in time. So sad what people do to these poor dogs just for a few bucks. If this guy still has other animals I would report him =( Best of luck with Flash, sweet girl
Old 10-08-2011, 11:39 AM   #23 (permalink)

That is wonderful news to hear about Flash! Nothing but "up" from now on!

Old 10-08-2011, 12:53 PM   #24 (permalink)

Thank you all. Flash is doing amazing. She still wakes up once or twice at night to go potty but waddles right back into the house and gets right into her crate. She's a quick learner with the routine of my house. Her diarrhea went away, Thank Goodness. lol.

She's on her Clavamox 250mg twice a day for her teeth. I don't know if it's because I'm getting used to the odor or if it's the anti-biotics but I can't smell her rotting teeth barely anymore.
This coming Friday is her surgery for her teeth. Most her teeth will be pulled out and I'm wondering if anyone knows how they close the opening? Will they stitch each piece up of where the tooth was pulled? Or leave it open? How will the recovery be? Would her eating get food stuck where the teeth were pulled and get infected? Never had this done before. I brush my dogs teeth weekly and I've personally never had teeth pulled so I have no idea what to expect. I know my vet will explain everything, I thought maybe some of you had personal experience? I'm nervous because she's so old. But I'm hopeful everything will be okay and she'll thrive after this!

As for her last owner, he has no other animals to my knowledge. Flash was the last dog in his "stock" that he needed to get rid of. I saw a For Sale sign a few days ago posted in front of his farm. And small town rumor, he's going into an elderly home due to illness. So I'm hoping that I get nice new neighbors!!!!!

Flash is still in heat. Her blood is turning brown so I'm guessing that she's ending the blood stage but OH MY!, she's getting so needy. Constantly whining and rubbing herself against everything. Drooling, Panting, and scooting her back end all over my other dogs. And whines some more. She's still wearing her little diaper. But she gets her tail pin straight and is trying to get my dogs to mate with her. It's the craziest thing to witness. I've never seen dogs trying to.. Umm... mate like this. lol.

My husband wen't out last night to Walmart to get throw blankets to go over our new couches because she is defiantly a drooler right now. More so than when we brought her home. She's so cute and old. I can only hug her and laugh.

Thought I'd post a few random photos. First one is me saying hello and about to put everyone in their crates because my husband and I were about to go out to dinner and the other two photos are of everyone sunbathing in the sun room.

Thank you everyone for the kind words, I'll keep everyone updated with her teeth surgery Friday.
Attached Thumbnails
New to the breed, have a few questions-100_3647.jpg   New to the breed, have a few questions-flash-015.jpg   New to the breed, have a few questions-flash-017.jpg  

Last edited by PrettyPittyNBassetMom; 10-08-2011 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Misspell.
PrettyPittyNBassetMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 05:49 PM   #25 (permalink)

She is settling in soo nicely When my parent's JRT had her teeth pulled we were told that most of them just kind of "fell out" when they started working on her so there wasn't much to close up. She did have a few stitches that were the absorbent variety, so she never had to have those removed, and she came home with some pain medicine and antibiotics. I fed her strictly canned food for about 2 weeks to give her gums time to heal. She still has 4 teeth left on her bottom jaw, two canines and two near the back of her mouth. I imagine if she were a Basset or another "drooler" that she'd drool alot more without the teeth there to keep it all inside.

I started Annie on LifeLine Organic Kelp supplement a few weeks ago...from what I understand the kelp has some enzyme in it that gets into the dog's bloodstream and is excreted through their saliva and helps clean their teeth (and freshen their breath). She didn't have nasty teeth or bad breath, for that matter, but I figured I should do something to get the tarter and plaque off anyways. After just a few weeks, the plaque that she had is completely gone! I also give the kelp to the JRT as well and the teeth she has left are sparkly white now

PS...even though she only has 4 teeth now, she eats kibble and small crunchy treats with no problems.
Annie714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 02:17 PM   #26 (permalink)

Well, we have a slight setback.

Flash has started to have this harsh dry cough and after about 20 minutes or so, vomits clear mucus. Started Monday and it happens about twice a day. She can breath fine, eats, and drinks normal. She's still on her Clavamox. And it's only 3 days till she was supposed to get her teeth done. I'm hoping this doesn't set the surgery back but I'm sure it will. Poor girl. She goes back in the vet's tomorrow at 8am.

I'm wondering if its going to be contagious? I sure hope not. Imagine 7 vet bills for 7 dogs. Good lord.

Wish her luck.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:52 PM   #27 (permalink)

Get well soon Flash! xxx
henry'smum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 04:39 PM   #28 (permalink)

hopefully it's just a bit of allergy or a small easily cleared up cold! poor girl! keep us updated! btw she is beautiful!
Old 10-11-2011, 05:44 PM   #29 (permalink)

What would we all give for a husband like that .Mine is not the Houndy kinda guy but he plays with Page the puppy a good bit and he had to help me with the litter and they all loved him. You are a blessed Angel who could turn their back to that girl. Thank you .
bubbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 12:18 PM   #30 (permalink)

Update:

Flash has bronchitis. We took chest X-rays and it looked like she's had it for a while but because she was stressed from the big changes in her life, wasn't showing her symptoms till now. So, she's now on another anti-biotic. Flash also had a blood test just to make sure it wasn't Heartworms which was a huge concern since she hasn't had vaccinations and living outside in TN with all the mosquitoes this state in known to have. Came out NEGATIVE!! We were all so glad and the vet was honestly shocked. So, we got her on Heartguard now.
Flash's surgery on Friday is still a go! (Thank God) So she'll still be getting her mouth makeover.
If Flash still does have the cough after her surgery, then we should consider Steroids. However the vet didn't think it was good to do it now, since she's already on two anti-biotics already.

Best part? This vet office just started doing payment plans. I think my Husband fell off his chair in happiness when we were told that we qualify just based on the fact that we have multiple dogs. (Seven )
So, todays bill came out to be $350. And Friday is going to be even more than that. But, we were only charged $175. And we don't pay a dime on Friday... not till next month. They spread the cost over a period of 6 months.

To be heartworm negative and to come in our life in October(which is dental month, meaning $100 off the surgery.lol), and to just be the sweetest dog ever despite all these ordeals, She's the sweetest dog I've come across yet. We will not give up on her unless she let's us now it's time. Flash has an angel on her shoulder. That's for sure.

Thank you everyone for the support!!!

My husband is amazing. I can't ever stop thanking him and believe me, he put up with alot with my rescue adventures. 7 dogs. 6 guinea pigs. We've taken numerous animals off the streets and he doesn't complain one bit. He knows my heart is too big to walk away, so he support me. Gotta love a man like that. :]

Attached in a photo of Flash in her new Halloween sweater. And I caught her playing with her toy for the first time.
Attached Thumbnails
New to the breed, have a few questions-100_3477.jpg   New to the breed, have a few questions-100_3681.jpg   New to the breed, have a few questions-100_3689.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement