New to the breed, have a few questions - Page 2 - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2011, 05:04 PM   #11 (permalink)

poor poor girl.... the south is definitely like that. but jeez, couldn't that guy see she needed help? i just will never understand.

The vet will probably want to put her under anesthesia to clean/pull teeth. They can do an ear flush then as well, since she probably has a bacteria infection, or yeast if her ears were never cared for. THey'll trim her nails, and all that. It'll probably be about $750 or more. And she will do amazing without teeth! they probably won't have to pull all of them, but honestly I would tell them to pull as many as they can, since she will be fine without them, and then if another goes bad later she won't have to deal with going under anesthesia again. (my parents rescued weenie dogs have had to go under a few times for extracting bad teeth. they didn't get them all done at once because it's so expensive)
I keep collars off my dogs in the home, because they shake and it annoys me : ) they are also much happier with them off, and when we go outside they get excited to put them on. They are micro-chipped, so if a disaster happens or they get out, i'm not too worried.

Have you squeezed the sore nipple to see if there is any discharge? they will probably put her on antibiotics for that. See if you can feel any lumps...if there is a lump and discharge they may just remove the mammary gland from that area, in case it's a tumor.

The vaginal area does get swollen when they are in heat, that should go down a little once she's done. Though, if she's had puppies it might stay a bit big. You can have her tubes tied or removed when she's under anesthesia, but that's a lot to do at once....they may not want her under that long since she's older....but then again if you have to go in twice it's hard on them too, but the vet will decide.

hmmm any itching or pink skin? could switch her to a food with no wheat, no corn gluten, and no bi-products. I'm sure she's been eating really cheap crappy stuff her whole life.

What a doll though. I'm so glad you took her in. I bet shes never been so happy. : )
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2011, 05:18 PM   #12 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Kirska

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaleely View Post
poor poor girl.... the south is definitely like that. but jeez, couldn't that guy see she needed help? i just will never understand.
The life of an animal just doesn't mean a thing to a lot of people here. I don't get it either.

A good quote from a city council meeting speaker last night, "If what you're thinking is, 'It's just a dog', then I feel pity for your soul because it's missing a piece."
Kirska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 05:43 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaleely View Post

Have you squeezed the sore nipple to see if there is any discharge? they will probably put her on antibiotics for that. See if you can feel any lumps...if there is a lump and discharge they may just remove the mammary gland from that area, in case it's a tumor.

The vaginal area does get swollen when they are in heat, that should go down a little once she's done. Though, if she's had puppies it might stay a bit big. You can have her tubes tied or removed when she's under anesthesia, but that's a lot to do at once....they may not want her under that long since she's older....but then again if you have to go in twice it's hard on them too, but the vet will decide.

hmmm any itching or pink skin? could switch her to a food with no wheat, no corn gluten, and no bi-products. I'm sure she's been eating really cheap crappy stuff her whole life.

What a doll though. I'm so glad you took her in. I bet shes never been so happy. : )
Nothing comes out of the nipples at all. The one that is triple the size is hard and lumpy. She doesn't seem to mind me touching her all all down there.

The redness has gone away since coming home but she does itch. She had fleas and ticks which I've treated. But she has thin and greasy hair which I'm guessing is the food she had.

Now she has diarrhea which I'm sure is the sudden food switch. I should have ask what she was eating but I wasn't thinking about asking too many questions at the time other than get her outa there and telling my husband we have a 7th dog.
All my dogs get fed a really good food that I stick too called, Taste of the Wild which she's been eating mixed with the wet food.

I guarantee she'll need to get put under for her teeth and I was hoping to spay her... but I'm not sure what the vet will say because of her age. It's tiring following her every time she gets up to take her diaper off before she pees or poops in it. She looks so cute in her hot pink and purple diapers! Her being in heat isn't all that bothersome to me but it's odd to change a dogs pad.

She's doing great so far. She won't leave the dog bed. I'm hoping the diarrhea will go away soon and I feel bad for the sudden switch of food but at least it's better than what she had.

Also, I noticed that when she gets up her joints crack. She doesn't limp nor seems to have any trouble getting up, but she defiantly needs to get on some glucosamine or something.
So many questions to ask the vet! Can't wait to get her in their and start her journey to happiness.

Thank you for all the kind words!!
PrettyPittyNBassetMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-04-2011, 06:32 PM   #14 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

Quote:
I guarantee she'll need to get put under for her teeth
That is when you want to take care of the nail when she is under to can have the vet cut into the quick and bring then to a normal length other wise you will need to clip every day to see any movement.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:15 PM   #15 (permalink)

You are a wonderful lady with such a big heart and I'm sure Flash is following you around to show just how happy she is that she got to come home with you!!!! She is a beautiful older lady -- such kind soulful eyes full of knowledge. Basset hounds age so gracefully!
Good luck with your Drs. visit in the morning -- I'll be thinking of you.
paisleysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:50 PM   #16 (permalink)

Give that great food and all that love a little time to get into her system and I bet her itching will subside...and the diarrhea, lol.
Annie714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:05 AM   #17 (permalink)

Vet appointment went well! Flash got her ears flushed and cleaned but to the vet's surprise, no ear infections. Just alot of surface dirt. As for her teeth, vet said she hasn't seen a case like this in a long time. The teeth are horrible. So right now, Flash was put on Clavamox 250mg for 7-10 days. Next Friday she'll be going under a Dental Cleaning. To my husbands and I's surprise, October is Dental month which is $100 off the Dental Cleaning Package. Most her teeth need to come out which is $7.36 per tooth. Total for everything includes anesthesia, dental cleansing, fluoride treatment, pre anesthesia bloodwork, rimadyl injection, polish teeth, medications - $415 est. depending on how many teeth need to be taken out.

Free dog ended not being so free. However she's on a journey with our family and she'll going to feel so much better and realize pain isn't something she should be living with.

We love her so much and I just want to be able to hug her and kiss her... I just can't right now because of her odor.

Now, her enlarged nipple concerned the vet so Flash needs it removed.

The estimate is around $751.00 or if we get it done within a month of the teeth surgery, it will be $701.00 because we wouldn't have to do the blood work.
It would include: Anesthesia, Bloodwork, Rimadyl injection, Mastectomy(partial), Hisopathology, Fluids, Ovariohysterectomy, Meds.

She included the spay as well in this surgery so we don't have three separate surgery's.
Doing everything at ones seemed to be too much for an older dog so it'll be two separate dates.

Today cost $140.31. Her Clavamox costs $80.00 which is most most expensive antibiotic I've paid for.

Plus, we just paid to get our other puppy his second set of shots and rabies which was $142. 00 and we just paid for our other dogs neuter. and another dog was spayed last week.

I love my husband so much. He just bats his eyes and hands over the money. I feel so bad that I don't work but I have an immune disorder that keeps me from being able to work or drive so he does it all.

Prayers worked. I was just so happy that Flash was "fixable". I was dreading hearing the words of, that It might be more humane to put her down. - So, Teeth first!!! Next Friday is her big teeth cleaning!

Vet also said to not worry to much about her nipple. If we had to, we could wait a month or two. It's not going anywhere and to focus on getting her teeth fixed and to try and get about 5 more pounds on her.

We also payed for a Comfortis just to make sure she's flea and tick free. I came home mixed is with food along with her anti biotic and she puked everything up. Called the vet back and it's a common thing. So I'm going back tomorrow to get replacement pills and give them separate with food.

So money gone and a few hours later... The appointment went better then expected!
No ear infections. Overall good weight. Eyes good. And appointment is in pen with those teeth.

:] I'm so happy for Flash. She's going to be so happy once all this is over.
PrettyPittyNBassetMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:13 AM   #18 (permalink)

Yay!!!!! Money well spent, to say the least
Annie714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:53 AM   #19 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Kirska

In regards to the Humane Society you can try a local SPCA if you want to report him, or report anyone else for that matter. I know in this area the SPCA is who usually handles cruelty cases.
Kirska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 01:56 PM   #20 (permalink)

Yay Flash wonderful news. Your on your way to a better life.
dreamons is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement