puupy weight - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2010, 11:39 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default puupy weight

i have a basset male puppy, he weight 8 pounds at his six week visit to the vet, the vet said he is healthy, is this a averahe weight of the dog breed , how big is he going to get ?
barkerfarrierservice is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2010, 06:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Probably about as big as his parents are.

Somebody sold you a puppy that was only six weeks old? Yikes!
Eowyn - FC Soundtrack Rain Dance MHH OAJ NAP
Faith - Soundtrack Gotta Have Faith HH
Pumpkin - FC Soundtrack Smashing Pumpkins SHH
Hope - Soundtrack Pandora's Box HH
Harriet - Soundtrack Black Magic Woman
Patch - Ch Soundtrack Superstitious Feeling
Junior - Soundtrack Sorcerer's Apprentice
Simon - Soundtrack I Put A Spell On You
Soundtrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 07:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

Whatever is a breeder doing selling a Basset puppy at only six weeks of age? My breeder friend likes to keep them until they are 9 or 10 weeks of age to give them a great start in life and to let them have fun with their siblings until they leave home!
SophieB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-19-2010, 12:02 AM   #4 (permalink)

for all ur info the mother ran out of milk so they had to be weaned and the vet said thats hes one the healtheir puppy he seen, its sad i got on here to ask a question then i get trashed and still didnt get my answer, if anyone that remember what their mature basset hound weighed at 6 six then please reply back and whoever that cant help dont reply thankyou
barkerfarrierservice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 12:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

YOU didn't get trashed, but we're less than impressed with the breeder. Even if the dam is not feeding the pups (which they often aren't by that age) they should still stay with her and their littermates until at least 8 weeks.

And at 6 weeks his current weight is not really a predictor of his future size. I've seen tiny puppies grow up to be huge and vice versa.
Eowyn - FC Soundtrack Rain Dance MHH OAJ NAP
Faith - Soundtrack Gotta Have Faith HH
Pumpkin - FC Soundtrack Smashing Pumpkins SHH
Hope - Soundtrack Pandora's Box HH
Harriet - Soundtrack Black Magic Woman
Patch - Ch Soundtrack Superstitious Feeling
Junior - Soundtrack Sorcerer's Apprentice
Simon - Soundtrack I Put A Spell On You
Soundtrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 01:16 AM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

Quote:
its sad i got on here to ask a question then i get trashed
Nope you never got trashed at best the breeder that sold you the dog did,

Quote:
all ur info the mother ran out of milk so they had to be weaned
Interesting since 4 weeks is typical age for weening to start anyway.
Puppy Weening
Quote:
In most kennels, puppies get the first taste of food other than Momís milk at about 3Ĺ weeks of age. This may seem early to you, but after working with numerous breeders and seeing many litters raised in our own homes, we can guarantee that the puppies of any breed can take food on their own at this age
Quote:
vet said thats hes one the healtheir puppy he seen
Could very well be that is not the issue however. Dogs removed from the litter this soon do not have enough time to socialize with other dog often resulting in behavior problems as they mature. This is very well documented and why most breeder hang onto puppies for a longer period of time, I highly recommend you read the following articles because they are critical for the proper development of the puppy. There are a number of states that actual make it illegal to sell a puppy before it is 8 weeks old

DEVELOPMENTAL STAGES & SOCIALIZATION
Quote:
Leaving the litter before 7 weeks can affect the puppy's ability to get along with other dogs later and they will likely have trouble learning to inhibit the force of their bite.

Puppy Socialization and Habituation (Part 1) Why is it Necessary?

Puppy Socialization and Habituation (Part 2) How to go about it

Bite Inhibition - how to teach it

Bite inhibition is one of the more critical things puppies learn when the stay with their litter-mates for a longer period of time. Since this is not the case you will need to spend more time than usual on this so you end up with a "safe" dog and not one that will cause injury,

Quote:
still didnt get my answer
quite the contrary you got the most brilliant answer possible."Probably about as big as his parents are." The size of a puppy at six weeks does not correlate well with the size of the dog as an adult. What does is the size of the parents. With males typically being 5-10 lb heavier than females. So if you want to know the size as an adult look to the size of the sire and dam,

Quote:
whoever that cant help dont reply thankyou
Quite hilarious and self center, You actual think those that post hear do so only to answer your question.

Well Conservative estimates are 10 to twenty time as many people simply lurk than actual ask a question So there are many more people That have a similar question. It is also important to those that post to educate as well. Given the number of lurker vs the number that post this serves a very important function even if it PO.s the one that original ask the question in the first place.

edited to add dang Mirriam beat me again, and she was a lot kiner in her post than I was who'ld a tunk it That what I get for wasting time spell checking.

Last edited by Mikey T; 12-19-2010 at 01:21 AM.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 10:55 AM   #7 (permalink)

I got my puppy, Virga, at 6 weeks of age as well. She weighed about 8 pounds or so. At most 10. She's a tiny basset puppy. But I'm hoping she'll get to at least 40 pounds. She's around 20 right now at 20 weeks old.
mhvonalmen8908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 05:38 PM   #8 (permalink)

Have you ever seen the "Slowly I turned..." skit by the Three Stooges or Lou Abbot? On this board "I got my puppy at 6 weeks" is "Niagara Falls". Try not to take it personally.
Lightning&Stomps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:16 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhvonalmen8908 View Post
I got my puppy, Virga, at 6 weeks of age as well. She weighed about 8 pounds or so. At most 10. She's a tiny basset puppy. But I'm hoping she'll get to at least 40 pounds. She's around 20 right now at 20 weeks old.
Wow! My little Bailey is 17 weeks old and 25 pounds, and I think she is too skinny! The vet said its good for her to be a bit skinny since she is so long and still growing.

Is your pup skinny or just that small?
Temmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 12:49 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temmers View Post
Is your pup skinny or just that small?
She's just that small. When we got her and saw her parents, they were both on the smaller side too. There was also a whole sister of her's there and she was small but fat. We think we'll be lucky if she gets to 40 pounds. That's where I'd like her to be. Anything over that would be gravy! But she's very tiny.
mhvonalmen8908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement