puupy weight - Page 2 - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2011, 04:44 PM   #11 (permalink)

My last basset who went to the Rainbow Bridge last Nov weighed 12.75 lb at 8 weeks when I brought her home from a highly reputable BHCA-member breeder. At 12 weeks, she was 20.3 lb and at 25 weeks, 42 lb. After her first birthday, she stabilized at about 55 lbs, then after 2 yrs gained to 60 lb which she weighed most of her adult life. She wasn't fat. We took mile long walks every morning. She was lean, muscular and strong. I find this an interesting subject because I am now looking at a litter, also from a reputable BCHA member, which are much smaller. They are 12 weeks old and only weight about 10 lbs or so. I am wondering if this should be of concern.
schiappab is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2011, 05:31 PM   #12 (permalink)

I'm glad you guys went easy on me then about bowser! I got him a whole day before he turned 6 weeks old...he was 7lbs. He was NOT healthy though. He ha worms, fleas, ear mites and Mange. I'm glad i got him when i did though because that was more time in a good healthy environment. I did my best to get him healthy, he is socialized with his sister daisy, and my mother-laws dogs (and my mom's when i visit her) and he's always been really amazing with the "no bite" thing. But, he's sooo lazy and easy going that's just his personality.
It's too much effort to bite, or to bite hard : )

But yeah, the breeder soon after got arrested for stealing someone's identity as is currently in jail so...

My problem too is i was horribly naive. My parents bred beagles when i was a kid and did everything right, and the pups were healthy and hale and adorable. so, i just didn't even consider that this dude on the AKC website could be bad. *snort* silly me!
jaleely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 05:39 PM   #13 (permalink)

Worm is like Bailey & Virga:

at 16 weeks (4 months), he was 22 lbs
at 24 weeks (6 months), he was 26 lbs (he was sick, sick, that's why so little wt gain those 2 months)
now ~35 weeks (8 months), he is a whopping 35 lbs

he esp gained more weight after neutering, so watch out for that if you eventually neuter your puppy. before the neutering, he was really, really hungry all the time (boy teenager hormones, i think). now, his appetite seems less. in fact, i might reduce him to 2 meals/day instead of 3.

to answer your question, your basset hound will be bigggggggg
this is a medium-large sized breed. average wt 40-60 lbs. but some get as much as 75-80 lbs, from what i understand.

Last edited by Wworm; 03-30-2011 at 05:42 PM.
Wworm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2011, 12:16 AM   #14 (permalink)

I'm sorry I think it is funny.Don't come here looking for something if you can't take a little education with it.No one trashed anyone if what was said is true and it is.
bubbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 05:16 AM   #15 (permalink)

I have a puppy, who is about 18 months old, his weight is 4 KG and his height is about one and half feet. is it ok???
lorentaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 06:53 AM   #16 (permalink)

Well said Mikey!
RustyStickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 05:23 PM   #17 (permalink)

i got bertie at 6 weeks due to his mother abandening her litter he is 16 weeks old now and weighs 28 pound
janey135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 12:03 AM   #18 (permalink)

Even though I knew it wasn't the best idea, I got flash this past thursday at 7 weeks old. I also didn't get him from an actual registered breeder, but rather a friend from high school that has the notion that it is better to have one litter and then spay the mama. I was missing having a dog around and my husband wanted a basset (knew someone with one growing up) and he didn't want another "big" dog like a rottie. So it was kind of ironic that an old high school pal showed up to my work one day and said my dog just had puppies, want one? They were born on my mom's birthday, she was giving them away for free and just wanted good homes.

Now, with that all said, I wouldn't change it for the world. I did meet mama (not daddy though) and grandma to Flash. Mom is fairly young still and only had 5 pups. Flash is 8 lbs 12 oz as of friday when he went to meet the vet
charady2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 01:24 AM   #19 (permalink)

So I am thinking my puppy will be HUGE when he is full grown. I got him at 8 weeks (2 days after actually) and just took him to the vet monday at 12 weeks. He weighed 21 pounds!! I am a first time poster- as well as first time basset owner- and I was wondering how big he will get also.
HanktheHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 01:32 AM   #20 (permalink)

Hiya Hank!

Welcome! ya he will be bigger than Worm, tho prob that's not saying much-- Worm weighed that much when he was a month older (4 months)...

whatta cute pic. folks here will know what to tell ya..
Advertisement