AVMA warns of potential threat to pets - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2007, 10:13 AM   #1 (permalink)

Quote:
Multiple brands of jerky treats manufactured in China have been making pets sick, reports the American Veterinary Medical Association. No deaths have been reported, but symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea and lethargy.

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is currently testing the treats for a contaminant, but melamine - one of the chemicals responsible for the massive pet food recall earlier this year - has been ruled out.

Although no brand or product list of affected treats is yet available, all contaminated products can be categorized as jerky treats from China. AVMA cautions pet owners to use their best judgment.[/b]
Source

CH Bugle Bay's AllUCanEat Buffet CDX RN TDX NA CGC BHCA-VCX, 1996-2008
"Bugsie" UDX NA NAJ CGC, 1991-2006
Betsy Iole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2008, 10:06 PM   #2 (permalink)

Update: December 19, 2008

Quote:
FDA Continues To Receive Complaints about Chicken Jerky Products for Dogs and Cautions Consumers

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) continues to caution consumers of a potential association between the development of illness in dogs and the consumption of chicken jerky products also described as chicken tenders, strips or treats. FDA continues to receive complaints of dogs experiencing illness that their owners or veterinarians associate with consumption of chicken jerky products. The chicken jerky products are imported to the U.S. from China. FDA issued a cautionary warning to consumers in September 2007.

Australian news organizations report the University of Sydney is also investigating an association between illness in dogs and the consumption of chicken jerky in Australia. At least one firm in Australia has recalled their chicken jerky product and the recall notification stated the chicken jerky product was manufactured in China.

FDA believes the continued trend of consumer complaints coupled with the information obtained from Australia warrants an additional reminder and animal health notification.

Chicken jerky products should not be substituted for a balanced diet and are intended to be
used occasionally and in small quantities. Owners of small dogs must be especially careful to limit the amount of these products.

FDA, in addition to several veterinary diagnostic laboratories in the U.S, is working to determine why these products are associated with illness in dogs. To date, scientists have not been able to determine a definitive cause for the reported illnesses. FDA has conducted extensive chemical and microbial testing but has not identified any contaminant.

FDA is advising consumers who choose to feed their dogs chicken jerky products to watch their dogs closely for any or all of the following signs which may occur within hours to days of feeding the product: decreased appetite, although some may continue to consume the treats to the exclusion of other foods; decreased activity; vomiting; diarrhea, sometimes with blood; and increased water consumption and/or increased urination. If the dog shows any of these signs, stop feeding the chicken jerky product. Owners should consult their veterinarian if signs are severe or persist for more than 24 hours. Blood tests may indicate kidney failure (increased urea nitrogen and creatinine). Urine tests may indicate Fanconi syndrome (increased glucose). Although most dogs appear to recover, some reports to the FDA have involved dogs that have died.

The FDA continues to actively investigate the problem. Many of the illnesses reported may be the result of causes other than eating chicken jerky. Veterinarians and consumers alike should report cases of animal illness associated with pet foods to the FDA Consumer Complaint Coordinator http://www.fda.gov/opacom/backgrounders/complain.html in their state.[/b]

CH Bugle Bay's AllUCanEat Buffet CDX RN TDX NA CGC BHCA-VCX, 1996-2008
"Bugsie" UDX NA NAJ CGC, 1991-2006
Betsy Iole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:03 AM   #3 (permalink)

Bumping, as the FDA is still warning about chicken jerky treats as of November 18, 2011.

FDA Continues to Caution Dog Owners About Chicken Jerky Products

Old 11-21-2011, 02:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

Oh no! thanks Boomah for the bump-- i had no idea there were concerns about this. Me eats lotsa chicken & ducks jerky alls the time
--Worm
Old 11-21-2011, 03:39 PM   #5 (permalink)

You would think that after the dog food, baby formula, drywall, etc. etc., they would learn.
Old 11-21-2011, 04:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Kirska

My vet posted this info today. Must be somewhat serious.
Kirska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 05:29 PM   #7 (permalink)

Hoping it doesn't pertain to Duck Jerky also since I just bought a 2.5lb bag at Costco! LOL...that would be just my luck...
Annie714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:15 AM   #8 (permalink)

Glad I read this.. I was going to go buy Dolly some jerky today.. I'm trying to find treats for her that would not affect any allergies she has..
Red Velvet Dolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 08:12 AM   #9 (permalink)

We really have to remind ourselves when purchasing treats to make sure they are made in the USA or Canada -- many many treats out there are made in China or other countries where things are not inspected.
paisleysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:14 PM   #10 (permalink)

Hey Pais, you are so right!!

me so sad. found out that my duck jerky treats (duck wrapped yams)-- hopefully, not the same as yours, Annie-- are made in China!! no offense or anything, except that after everything that happened w/baby formula & pet food, I don't think i should eat anything made in China.

had no idea, until i read this thread.

incidentally, coupla weeks ago, we bought 2 bags of what seemed to be good salmon treats from a good local pet store. I think the company is "Pet Botannicals" which sounds very natural & healthy. There was a little packet of silica to preserve it, but it had Chinese letters on it. That tipped us off & when we read the back, it's made in China! no, bad! so we returned them just last week and exchanged them for salmon strips from Paisley's Canada

but-- hello people!!
why are there still dog food & treats being sold here that are made in China????

We now will have to check where everything's made before we buy them, which we never thought to do before. Ummm, i guess we assumed all the treats from China were not being sold here anymore, but we were wrong.
--Worm
Advertisement