AVMA warns of potential threat to pets - Page 2 - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2011, 02:09 PM   #11 (permalink)

Maggie and Daisy love Yummy Chummies Treats. These are wild Alaskan Salmon. Made in Alaska. SHOP - Yummy Chummies dog treats made with Wild Alaska salmon
We got them at a fundraiser in Las Vegas.
dreamons is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2011, 03:06 PM   #12 (permalink)

Its not just imported from China -- take a look ---a lot of "beef" products come from Brazil and Mexico to mention a couple. I've also seen pigs ears from these places too.
North Americans probably consume more pork and beef than many of these countries put together so it gets me wondering if: a) we are exporting beef by- products (hooves, skin and ears etc.) for processing and then re-importing these to sell in the USA and Canada or b) we are just importing inferior products to feed our well-loved pets and wondering why they are getting sick. I really doubt that these imported "treats" and "food" are really federally inspected and if they are it is probably just for sight issues as bug infestation and mold. I wonder why when Canadian and Americans spend so much of thier disposable incomes on their pets that American and Canadian pet food companies don't invest more in the making of these products..... take a good look at some of the stuff you see in stores for your pets (I don't mean the Petsmarts or specialized Pet Food stores) like grocery stores and discount stores and you will be surprised at what is made where!!! That is just another reason why I started to feed Pais Origen!
paisleysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 03:11 PM   #13 (permalink)

I just posted on another thread about a dog food recipes thingy. Since I have two dogs with problems with allergy's, most of the time I cut liver in strips put on aluminum foil sprayed with none stick oil and put in oven on low for an hour or more turn over and another hour to dehydrate. My dogs love these.
Herzo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-22-2011, 03:27 PM   #14 (permalink)

You were posting while I was. I have not bought treats for a while now. I make my own. I think it is so hard to produce something in this country because of the regulations that have been made, our own government has forced our company's to ether shut down or go elsewhere. It makes me mad they make all these regulations to be safe then let other country's import for free where it is not regulated. This is a no brainer to me.
I want to scream WAKE up people.
Herzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 05:50 PM   #15 (permalink)

Annie, check the bag and if it's made elsewhere, print off the warning and take them back to Costco.

I am seriously considering making Boomer his own treats, as I like to bake anyway. I really like the idea of making dehydrated liver strips.
Old 01-21-2012, 01:32 PM   #16 (permalink)

Thank you for the warning! There is another product that my dog eats before which was contaminated with salmonella. I'm lucky that my dog never got sick.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:04 AM   #17 (permalink)

My guys LOVE sweet potatoes, so instead of spending lots of money getting the dried yams from the pet store or Fosters and Smith and wondering if there were any bad ingredients, I got a dehydrator and make our own yam slices or fries! I think they like them better anyway. They also like apples and bananas this way as well as chicken and other meats! Treats we can all share!
Hound Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:23 AM   #18 (permalink)

i cannot believe what is going on nowdays.
thedovesoars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:40 PM   #19 (permalink)

I made the mistake of buying a treat from one of our "Dollar" stores. Yes, I should have known better but I thought it'd be ok. It wasn't! They gave both my boys tummy problems. I threw them away & swore off any cheap treats ever!! News like this makes a person scared to buy anything from China that is ingested.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement