Wanting to get into showing - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2019, 06:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Wanting to get into showing

I am wanting to show bassets. There is a local club near me that I will start going to soon, but it is not breed specific. The closest Basset hound club is a good ways away.

I need an opinion on my current basset. Could I show her, or should I purchase a basset for show specifically? She is AKC registered and only 5 months now.

Also we are training for hunting, are hunting titles breeding worthy or is it mainly conformation titles people look for?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
justine.alvarado55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2019, 03:20 AM   #2 (permalink)

The usual course to go if you want to get into showing is to have your breeder take a look at your Basset, usually once the hound has matured a bit (they change so much from birth to maturity). That's if the breeder is experienced in the breed and knows what is correct, and what isn't, based on the Breed Standard.

I'm not going to comment on your girl from photos because it's always necessary to see the hound moving! If the person you bought from isn't knowledgeable enough, you could always approach a professional handler at a show where you are, before or after judging!, for their opinion. Showing is expensive and it's really not worth getting into unless you stand a good chance of not 'going out with the rubbish' all the time. You do have to have a thick skin too remembering we always bring the best hound home with us!!

Obviously, assuming you can find a breeder willing to part with one, you'd do best to buy a Basset who has done a bit of winning already, but that would depend on how deep your pocket is. Buying a puppy for show is rather a lottery (unless you locate a kennel known for producing top quality hounds) because the Basset especially goes through any number of 'ugly duckling' stages so you can only ever buy one with promise! And hope for the best.

I urge you to look at the Illustrated Breed Standard, and compare your girl with those pictured.

https://basset.dcwdhosting.com/wp-co...D-STANDARD.pdf

Last edited by FranksMum; 08-25-2019 at 03:23 AM.
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 06:19 AM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

if t the front is as photographed it would be difficult to finish her in the breed ring.

Prices charged by those breeding for hunting only are general considerably cheaper than Confirmation basset while on the East and West coast most field trial dogs are both. IN Texas there is a dearth of Field trial or Hunting tests. as far as AKC sanctioned event you are pretty much limited to scent work and tracking.

Check out the BHCA membership list and contact members close to you and see if anyone is willing to mentor you ,l A mentor is invaluable in learning the bread standard, what to look for and help acquiring a dog to show. ALso keep in mind most show breeders are reluctant to give a quality Female to a newbie in the show ring, You will find it much easier to acquire a quality male vs female.

https://basset-bhca.org/find-a-basse...reeders/texas/

illustrated breed standard
https://basset.dcwdhosting.com/wp-co...D-STANDARD.pdf

https://www.basset.net/boards/genera...go-litter.html
Last liter at 13 weeks, Diamond and Hazel are not show prospect and at this point Merlins lack of chest is not helping him. Patch finshed before his first birthday pointed in field with 1 win, Harriet before 2, Junior need 1 major and some points, 2 wins in field and pointed , Simon has a couple of points, and pointed in field Spot is in a hunting home in Spain, has legs in hunt test brace, seven" has a few show points,and legs in hunt test brace. Diamond is in a agility home and has a trick dog novice title, Hazel is in a pet home.

patch at 9 months old

Harriet at about 9 months

Randy Fredrickson Ambrican Basset Hound might be able to he[l you get pointed in the right direction https://www.facebook.com/Ambrican/

Last edited by Mikey T; 08-26-2019 at 06:46 AM.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-26-2019, 06:52 AM   #4 (permalink)

"The Basset especially goes through any number of 'ugly duckling' stages so you can only ever buy one with promise!"

So true and a lot are late to mature ie the chest to drop and fill out. That said the older the dog the better chance you have, why many breeder run on (keep prospects) up to six months of age.
Old 08-26-2019, 08:44 AM   #5 (permalink)

Hunting titles certainly are breeding worthy problem is opportunity to earn them is non-existent in texas. Basset Field trials current only occur on the west coast CA,OR and WA, Midwest OH, MI, and North East NY, NJ and PA with an occasional Hunt test in RI Ideally the epitome is the Dual Champion or dual grand champion,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement