Jess and others - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2012, 02:03 AM   #1 (permalink)

Lightbulb Jess and others

Hi, I recently adopted Jess after seeing a add on a online classified. We went to have a look and when the woman asked me AND? there was just no way that I could say no. She was living in a yard of about 2m x 3m, which she shared with a poodle. It was paved and not cleaned recently. There was no shelter. I just could not leave her in those conditions. She came home with us and just fitted right in. Though she was severely overweight, we are managing to bring it down by 2 daily walks. She is my shadow. After adopting her I saw 2 more adds popup on that same site, with in 2 weeks, in the same city fully grown bassets for free. Wish I could take them all, but I have 2 other dogs as well, which got me thinking, I need to help these doggies. So I want to start a website creating awareness for the sake of bassets. I want people to know the truth. WE all love our bassets, but most people getting a very adorable cute puppy does not realize that they grow up to be rather large, needs exercise and are quite stubborn. Thus they end up as free to good home on online classifieds. What would you like to see on a site like that. The positive fact, but also the negatives? only the negatives? Please let me have our input and try to help prevent so many "free to good home" bassets. I also want to do this for all the breeds that tends to end up at shelters, huskies, labs. What do you think?
Bgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2012, 08:05 AM   #2 (permalink)

I admire what you are hoping to do although in fact I don't think we see that many Basset in Shelters in the UK - certainly in the couple of years I worked for a well known (but not the RSPCA) Shelter there were none coming in, thank goodness. We also have a very good Basset Welfare organisation here, most of who are working for them, are responsible people.

I just wish more BREEDERS would consider where the puppies they are responsible for bringing into the word, are going. Of course circumstances change for some owners, but far too often it's all about the money, getting the puppies out as soon as they can. We had a return clause in our sale contract although I only had one that 'bounced' and I had to get back. And we'd always be there to help with any problems that might crop up with our unique and special breed. So preventing the need for any owner to simply give up!

The trouble is when a breed becomes popular, too many unscrupulous people start breeding them, with the resulting problems we are seeing.
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:09 AM   #3 (permalink)

Franksmum, in the past 2 weeks there has been 3 adult bassets that has been advertised in one online classifieds site in one city. I took in Jess, who had every wrinkle and her ears invected as she has not been taken care of properly. she was also so obese that she had difficulty moving. Shes much better now, and follows me like a shadow. The reason for the other one for give away, it is not getting along with my new puppy. The third add, he is barking non stop and the neighbors are complaining. In South Africa there is no basset rescue. But I do not want to kee it just at bassets, I want to later go to all the popular breeds that tend to end up in shelters. The ones that are so cute that people forget to do their research.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:58 AM   #4 (permalink)

Default Pics of Jess

Here is some Pictures of Jess, my rescue. She is 3 years old and was living in horrible conditions. Looking very bored in the one picture, doesnt she?

Old 12-15-2012, 10:35 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

As I find them too harrowing don't often look through the various dog rescues here in the UK but noticed recently there have been more bassets around for re-homing, often very sad looking ex breeding bitches with teats dragging on the ground who have been off loaded. Unfortunately for what ever reason (probably because 'Breeders' have all been tarnished with the same tag) rescues including I believe the RCPCA will not contact or even allow breeds including our beloved Bassets to be helped or assisted by breed rescues, which is such a sadness as Bassets could well do with the assistance of someone who has previous knowledge of the breed. I have assisted in re-homing a 3 years old bitch earlier this year who's picture was in a local charity shop window, rang everyone I knew who had them & got lucky & she got even luckier, ending up with a lovely couple, another basset & 12 acres of fenced garden. She had been kept in a conservatory alone for some years, with a dog flap & owners out a work all day - I doubt she had every gone out as her paws were like velvet. But even then the charity were not charitable as they didn't want her going 20 miles to the other end of the island!! Mind you having contacted the nearest lady involved with Basset rescue & been called Dearie & Loveie every 10 seconds & what a sad little story but could you ring me back sometime tomorrow, I gave up.
Vectisvagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:27 PM   #6 (permalink)

Jess is lovely - congratulations to you both.
Like Franks Mum mentioned here in the UK Basset Hound Welfare was set up in the 70's to deal with the explosion of popularity (mostly thanks to a certain shoe ad). There are representatives throughout the UK and if a Basset does go into rescue they are usually (hopefully) informed and will have someone from BHW find a foster, or hopefully a forever home. I know a lot of breeders regularly check rescues and classifieds to help these hounds looking to be rehomed find their way to a good intermediate place.
VV I agree I have definitely seen popularity going up at least here in London.
My vet has mentioned it as well. I met up with a newbie with a pup (my vet gives them my phone number) and she got him from a place called Rascals a full blown Puppy Farm.
I think the best way is setting up a network with people that feel passionate about our breed - I have no sea what it's like in S. Africa. I know the US have a lot of Basset Rescues that work together.

Last edited by shakespeare; 12-15-2012 at 01:25 PM.
shakespeare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Like Franks Mum mentioned here in the UK Basset Hound Welfare was set up in the 70's to deal with the explosion of popularity (mostly thanks to a certain shoe ad). There are representatives throughout the UK and if a Basset does go into rescue they are usually (hopefully) informed and will have someone from BHW find a foster, or hopefully a forever home. I know a lot of breeders regularly check rescues and classifieds to help these hounds looking to be rehomed find their way to a good intermediate place.
VV I agree I have definitely seen popularity going up at least here in London.

Shakespeare. I'm please to hear this as have always reliably heard that rescues, charities & the RSPCA do not inform Breed Rescues. Whether this has been exacerbated after the infamous PDE programme I don't know but do know people who have informed various breed rescues of dogs available/wanting homes, & the dog rescue will have nothing to do with them. Very sad .
Vectisvagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:49 PM   #8 (permalink)

This is posted on the web site of the rescue we help. Basset Facts! Did you know?

1. Basset hounds are not small dogs; they just have short legs.
  2. Bassets, with their long ears and flappy lips, can be messy and are known to drool at times.
  3. The Basset hound voice, barking or howling, can be loud and insistent.
  4. Basset hounds can have a distinct hound body odor.
  5. Basset hounds do shed, some more than others.
  6. The trademark long ears are prone to infection if not kept meticulously clean inside and out.
  7. Bassets are true scent hounds and therefore must be contained by a fence or leash at all times.
  8. A Bassets' greatest desire is to be kept close to their human family, enjoying all the companionship that closeness entails.
Ready to adopt?

You've done your research—you are convinced the basset hound is the breed just right for you! You are ready to adopt and may even see a basset in our listings pages that appeals to you.
Perhaps you even have a Basset now, or had one in the past—you're probably well–versed in being owned by a Basset Hound! If this will be your first Basset experience, we encourage you to continue your research to find if this is the right breed for your family situation. A great source of information is The Daily Drool.
Carly Ann - Toy Poodle
Copper -(Speed-bump) Basset
dreamons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:50 PM   #9 (permalink)

Dreamons now that is the kind off stuff that I want on my website. I want people to think as bassets not as a suitable breed. They must be scared to get a puppy/basset. I if they are however willing to get a basset after they read everything on the website and decide to go ahead and adopt a basset, at least they will know what they let themselves into and be prepared . I mean, if you read up all the negatives on a basset before getting one and still go ahead and adopt, it must mean that you truly want one and will look after it. Hopefully
Old 12-15-2012, 07:24 PM   #10 (permalink)

Bgirl, I wish I could help, however S. Africa is a LONG way from Virginia. I hope you can find some support for helping bassets over there... You can't find a better breed or friend if you know what you are getting into.

Dremons makes some excellent points that really ought to be known, however, I have a few of my own comments, just from personal experience...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamons View Post
This is posted on the web site of the rescue we help. Basset Facts! Did you know?

1. Basset hounds are not small dogs; they just have short legs. (However, they tend to think they are lap dogs! Embrace the love and deal with the lose of your lap.)
  2. Bassets, with their long ears and flappy lips, can be messy and are known to drool at times. (It is part of being a basset parent, keep a drool towel handy and baby wipes for messy ears)
  3. The Basset hound voice, barking or howling, can be loud and insistent. (If you can't appreciate and love the Arrroooohhh, don't own a basset)
  4. Basset hounds can have a distinct hound body odor. (Hey, Fritos smell good!)
  5. Basset hounds do shed, some more than others. (a lint brush is your friend.... so is the vacuum)
  6. The trademark long ears are prone to infection if not kept meticulously clean inside and out. (Again, baby wipes are great for keeping clean ears!)
  7. Bassets are true scent hounds and therefore must be contained by a fence or leash at all times. (true! if they get a good scent, they become deaf! Keep them contained at all times!)
  8. A Bassets' greatest desire is to be kept close to their human family, enjoying all the companionship that closeness entails.(Basset are the best friend and greatest snuggle buddy you will ever have. They are loyal, bond deeply with their family and will always want to be with you. If you don't have time to deal with a "toddler" than you shouldn't own a basset. If you want a constant companion and someone to snuggle with (don't mind a bit of drool and a howl now and again) then a basset is for you. You won't find a better family dog. They have never met a stranger. If you are looking for a "Guard" dog.... look elsewhere!)
Ready to adopt?

You've done your research—you are convinced the basset hound is the breed just right for you! You are ready to adopt and may even see a basset in our listings pages that appeals to you.
Perhaps you even have a Basset now, or had one in the past—you're probably well–versed in being owned by a Basset Hound! If this will be your first Basset experience, we encourage you to continue your research to find if this is the right breed for your family situation. A great source of information is The Daily Drool.

Sophie (ATB (1996-2010)
Abby (ATB 2010 - 2012)
Jake (2001 - )
Ellie (2012 - )
Jnfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement