Jess and others - Page 2 - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2012, 08:04 PM   #11 (permalink)

Also to add:

If Bassets are the breed for you be sure to buy from a reputable breeder that has a contract saying they will take them back under any circumstances

Do not buy from any breeder that does not have a contract stating this

Or rescue!
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2012, 09:53 PM   #12 (permalink)

Totally agree with Jnfr. All are true except ours do a lot of off leash stuff in the desert and never have a problem with them straying too far. And it does take a little getting used to a 60 lb plus lap dog.
Carly Ann - Toy Poodle
Copper -(Speed-bump) Basset
dreamons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:47 PM   #13 (permalink)

Are you going to just use the website as a tool to let others know these other dogs are looking for homes or just to give warning to the atributes a basset has? Some people may not have the contracts or can't find them or don't even think about asking the breeder if the dog should come back to them. As much as our hearts break for these unfortunate souls we cannot help them all.You have a good idea but most people when they want a puppy of a certain breed they often don't care what the bad points of that breed are and only after they have had them long enough to realize what a certain breed is like do they decide if they can deal with it or not. As a breeder and the others on this forum we are very careful where we place our puppies,we stay in touch with the owners ,I have been very lucky my puppies are in great homes.
bubbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:57 PM   #14 (permalink)

Shakespeare in south africa you dont even get any contract when buying a puppy. It is just not the way its done here, wish it were. Here if you buy a dog and are not happy with it, it goes to a shelter, are given to a domestic or put on a online classified as a giveaway. I know it is sad, but very true. Here it is just a case of making money. Thats why I want to make a difference.
Thank you to all of you for the input. What would you like to see on such a site? I want to do rescues, info and a breed selector. I want to give shelters a opportunity to advertise for free. At a later stage I also want to do other popular breeds that also tend to end up in shelters like huskies, labs. I also want to add a ask an expert/behaviorist where people can ask how to solve a problem before just giving the dog away? Any other ideas?

Last edited by Bgirl; 12-16-2012 at 12:07 AM.
Bgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:31 AM   #15 (permalink)

Hi Bgirl! there is a site that list many of the basset hound rescue organizations in the US. It is Bassethoundrescue.com If you contacted some of the officers (of the various rescue listed) maybe they would have some advice and suggestions that might be useful to you. Good luck organizing RSA first Basset hound rescue.
newton'sdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 12:00 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectisvagrant View Post
As I find them too harrowing don't often look through the various dog rescues here in the UK but noticed recently there have been more bassets around for re-homing, often very sad looking ex breeding bitches with teats dragging on the ground who have been off loaded. Unfortunately for what ever reason (probably because 'Breeders' have all been tarnished with the same tag) rescues including I believe the RCPCA will not contact or even allow breeds including our beloved Bassets to be helped or assisted by breed rescues, which is such a sadness as Bassets could well do with the assistance of someone who has previous knowledge of the breed. I have assisted in re-homing a 3 years old bitch earlier this year who's picture was in a local charity shop window, rang everyone I knew who had them & got lucky & she got even luckier, ending up with a lovely couple, another basset & 12 acres of fenced garden. She had been kept in a conservatory alone for some years, with a dog flap & owners out a work all day - I doubt she had every gone out as her paws were like velvet. But even then the charity were not charitable as they didn't want her going 20 miles to the other end of the island!! Mind you having contacted the nearest lady involved with Basset rescue & been called Dearie & Loveie every 10 seconds & what a sad little story but could you ring me back sometime tomorrow, I gave up.
I've left this without editing a quote because it's worth reading again. I work with Many Tears which is a Rescue centre in Wales, checking homes and occasionally look on their list of dogs wanting new homes. I weep when I see a Basset on there - more often than not ex-brood bitches with as you say teats on the ground. Ghastly. And previously I worked for Wood Green and you are right - no way would they liaise with BH Welfare here. Thankfully while I worked for them, we didn't get a Basset in because I don't know what I'd have done!! There are indeed some Rescue Reps who are, shall we say, better than others in BH Welfare, but at least they know the breed, and often have people waiting which is more than some of these Shelters do!! Sorry you had this experience with Welfare!!
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 02:48 PM   #17 (permalink)

our basset came from a large rescue group......networked from individuals homes. The adoption process was rigorous. Completed an on-line application. Had a telephone interview with the first rescue contact. Supplied references, personal and vet. House was checked to assure had fenced yard, etc.

Was then cleared to contact the next individual to set up time to meet the adoptee. That individual had the "final say" as to if we could adopt. We then signed a contract that stipulated among other things, the basset would always wear the rescue tag, we could not give the dog to anyone, etc.

We were very happy to comply with this process as it spoke to how deeply committed these volunteers were to finding good homes for the rescues. I am humbled by their selfless work towards finding homes for these wonderful creatures.

Hoping you have great success with your efforts.
3kbasset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:26 AM   #18 (permalink)

3K that's the way it should be! Bubbad said it - there is every bit of information out there for those that are thinking about a Basset - or any dog for that matter. Unfortunately people don't look into it enough and do the research - especially with puppies!. The best thing is to have a network - peeps that are passionate and care to help clean up where a lot have people have gone wrong.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:32 PM   #19 (permalink)

Since I've adopted Albert from NEBHR my floors have never been filthier and I've never been happier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement