Rescuing a Basset Mix in NJ - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2012, 10:54 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Rescuing a Basset Mix in NJ

Hello All - I was hoping I could get some feedback regarding our potential adoption of a Basset mix pup in a shelter/foster home in NJ. I am providing the petfinder link to this sweet dog in my post. If someone could look at the THREE photos posted and bio we'd appreciate it. We are going to meet her on Sunday with our 3 year old Newfie and 7 year old daughter. Does she look more Basset or Bloodhound or Beagle to you all? Either way, any advice we could use when we meet her at the foster home would be appreciated. We are very excited and if all goes well we will be bringing her home that day. FYI - She is 65 lbs and loves to swim - Not usual Basset traits, right?
Thanks! Cynthia

Petfinder Pet Photo

Last edited by cpizzul; 03-15-2012 at 10:59 AM.
cpizzul is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2012, 11:01 AM   #2 (permalink)

She looks like a Bagel (basset, beagle). Very cute! Hope she works out!

Bassets do like to swim, but they need to be carefully monitored and/or wear a life jacket (which I advise using regardless of the breed). Bassets have denser bones which makes staying afloat difficult. They can also tire themselves out faster because they have to put more work into swimming. We have a life vest for Copper and he loves it.

I am a foster home, and we've adopted out four dogs in since last summer. My advice would be to start with just the "people" part of the equation, then introduce your Newfie after you've aquainted the people to the dog. You don't want to overwhelm them from the start. Then go for a walk together!
Former Foster Mom to [/SIZE][SIZE=1] Domino (A 3/13), Dustin Hoffman (A 11/13), Murphy (A 12/13) Jamiedoxie/basset (A 6/12),Taz & Tommy (trans. to med care 4/12) Ashley (A 3/12)Gwendolyn (A 2/12)and Dudley (A 8/11)

Last edited by SarahRainey; 03-15-2012 at 11:07 AM. Reason: needed to add more!
SarahRainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:13 AM   #3 (permalink)

Hi Sara thanks so much - Take a look at this video also - Do you still think Bagel? I've never heard that name before - So cute!

Old 03-15-2012, 11:40 AM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Kirska

She is very pretty. My thought is she might be 50% basset but the other parent may have also been a mix. Like our dog Harley, either one or both of his parents were also mixes. The coloring would be unusual for a basset or a beagle. I hope it all goes well, she looks like a friendly dog.
Kirska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:41 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpizzul View Post
Hi Sara thanks so much - Take a look at this video also - Do you still think Bagel? I've never heard that name before - So cute!
Mixes are always guesses! Although, on second guess, she might be a bassador (Basset + Lab). That might be more accurate given her coloring and her fondness of water.
Former Foster Mom to [/SIZE][SIZE=1] Domino (A 3/13), Dustin Hoffman (A 11/13), Murphy (A 12/13) Jamiedoxie/basset (A 6/12),Taz & Tommy (trans. to med care 4/12) Ashley (A 3/12)Gwendolyn (A 2/12)and Dudley (A 8/11)
SarahRainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:43 AM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Kirska

Also I would not let the special needs deter you that they mention in her posting. Obviously it's something you need to follow to keep her healthy, but in my experience diet and maintenance medication needs are usually very easy to follow. Once you get in the habit of giving them the correct food/medication you don't really notice it anymore.
Kirska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 12:16 PM   #7 (permalink)

Oh Kirska thanks so much for your thoughts on the special needs - We are on-board with the special food and making sure she gets plenty of water. Our vet assured us that this would help avoid any bladder stones from forming in the future. We have been in contact with her wonderful foster Mom and the shelter volunteers who say she has a quiet and friendly temprement. They think the cost for surgery and the food was just too much for the family who owned her so they dropped her off to the shelter. Of course there's really no way to know for certain what kind of life she had.

Thanks to you and Sarah for your feedback - So does she have enough 'Basset' in her for me to stay on the Forum? LOL
Cynthia
Old 03-15-2012, 05:50 PM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

Quote:
she might be a bassador (Basset + Lab).
look similar and the size is right from the few that I have seen
Mikey T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:41 PM   #9 (permalink)

[FYI - She is 65 lbs and loves to swim - Not usual Basset traits, right?[/QUOTE]

I agree that she definately looks like a basset hound! My guess is that she has some labrador in her as well. She is CUTE!

I can't speak for the swimming because my basset hates water, but I have heard some bassets like to swim! Like the other posters said, watch her carefully when she swims. Their short legs and heavy bone structure don't make them good endurance swimmers.

In terms of weight, 65 is on the bigger size, but not unheard of for a basset female. My female basset rescue is 60 pounds.

What special needs does she have?

Good luck with your meeting this weekend. I would start slow with her (get down on her level, offer a treat etc..) You may want to not throw your newfie into the mix right away though. I would also try to get as much info about her behavior, likes. dislikes etc from her foster family.

Please stick around on the boards!
jaylii9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:43 PM   #10 (permalink)

So the verdict is Bassador it seems...Does anyone think there is any value to getting the DNA test I've heard about? What would be the purpose in knowing? Any health related reasons? Behavioral?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement