Thinking about getting a Basset puppy - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2017, 03:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Thinking about getting a Basset puppy

Hi, My name is Baz and I am in the UK. I have kept German Shepherds for around 20 years and various other breeds before that but I have always wanted a Basset Hound. I want to make sure I have all the facts before I take the plunge so I am hoping a few of you experienced people can help.

1. I can only have 1 dog so will that be a problem for a basset

2. I have a 2 year old and a 5 Year old. I have read and spoke to people and have been told this shouldn't be a problem for a Basset as long as they are not left unsupervised.

3. Howling. I know this is something that hounds love to do however I have spoken to a few people who have not had issues with it.

4. I am disabled and cannot walk far however I do have a 95x30ft garden. Although I do still get out and about I can't walk for miles every day.

I would be grateful of any thoughts on these issues.

Thanks Baz
Bazas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2017, 07:15 AM   #2 (permalink)

Hi. Welcome - nice to have another UK contributor.

To answer
1. Although I always feel it better to have at least one other canine companion (and once you do have one, I'd guarantee you'll have a second.......) provided YOU are home most of the time, he should be okay
2. I didn't like to sell one of our Basset puppies to a family with children of under 5, minimum. As a general rule. But given I don't know you! Fact is toddlers don't always realise a puppy, of any kind, isn't another toy and can be unintentionally rough with one, to the point of being cruel. The ears can be a magnet. Most Bassets will tolerate a lot, but that doesn't mean it's kind.
3. Yes hounds howl as opposed to barking (they do bark however) but it shouldn't be a problem if they do - they will only do this if unhappy about being left alone!! Or to some sound that triggers this. With a group, one will start and the others follow, even if originally in a deep sleep!
4. As for being disabled, although Bassets, once over 6 months can benefit from a reasonable amount of exercise, it's more about unorganised free running around that counts much as once over a year, they will, and want, as much as the owner is prepared to give them, bearing in mind that once you start, you will have to continue. They thrive on a routine, just like kids.

You should contact the Breed Club here and ask for names of members - this should avoid you hooking up with a BYB! A good breeder will be more than willing to sit with you and answer all your questions so their puppy goes to a home 'for good'! They will usually, at least I did, tell you all the cons about owning a Basset so you are fully aware. This is said to be a stubborn breed, but fact is if you get stubborn, you will have to change your approach. It's hugely about applied psychology with them - making them think what you want was their idea all along.
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 07:46 AM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

Can not disagree with anything Franksmom has said but would like to expound on the toddler an dogs.

IMHO of the the issue with toddlers and dogs is the do not move as human therefore often do not respect them as humans. They are eith crawling or less stable on their feet with the possibility of falling on the dog etc. Most dogs are uneasy around toddlers it is no coincidence this is the age group most likely bitten and seriously bitten by a dog.

"told this shouldn't be a problem for a Basset as long as they are not left unsupervised."
A simplistic solution with a very high failure rate.
unfortunately ubb code does not work in newbie for so you need to cut and paste the link
http://www.robinkbennett.com/2013/08/19/why-supervising-dogs-and-kids-doesnt-work/

"The bites are not a result of negligent parents leaving Fido to care for the baby while mom does household chores, oblivious to the needs of her children. In fact, I’ve consulted on hundreds of dog bite cases and 95% of the time the parent was standing within 3 feet of the child watching both child and dog when the child was bitten. Parents are supervising. The problem is not lack of supervision. The problem is no one has taught parents what they should be watching.

Parents generally have not received any education on what constitutes good dog body language and what constitutes an emergency between the dog and the child. Parents generally have no understanding of the predictable series of canine body cues that would indicate a dog might bite. And complicating matters further, most parents get confused by the good intentions of the child and fail to see when a dog is exhibiting signs of stress. "

Last edited by Mikey T; 05-15-2017 at 07:50 AM.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2017, 05:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thank you for your reply's. It has elevated some of my concerns with getting a Basset, However We have decided to wait another year before getting one, my youngest will be 4 by then.
Both my children have been taught quiet strictly on how to behave around dogs and other animals, I do the same with my dogs. When my shepherd was a puppy I used take her food away as a child would I did the same with bones and large treats. She always got them back so it never bothered her when my first child was born (my shepherd was about 10 at this point) she was protective of both my children unfortunately I lost her in November 2015. Pigs ears were the only thing she would not let me take so she got these on special occasions and was left on her own to enjoy then uninterrupted.

I understand what you mean about parents not understanding a dogs cues I have seen many times when a dog growls and its ignored, its a clear indication the dog wishes to be left alone. There are also facial indications to look for as well.

Any way Thank you for your reply's and hopefully over the next year I can pick some brains to ensure I am fully prepared for a Bassets needs.

Thanks Baz
Bazas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 06:31 AM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

Taking time to educate yourself about breed and more importantly breeder. As the better half says about puppy picking don't pick a puppy pick a breeder you will more likely get the dog you are looking for picking the right breeder. Picking a puppy is a crap shoot.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement