Thinking about a adding a pup. - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2017, 10:04 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Thinking about a adding a pup.

We currently have a 13 year old Basset named Bob and Jack Russell Ernie. We love the combination of these two breeds and our boys love each other. I feel that the high energy of the JR balances the lower energy of the Basset. Our boys are getting on in years and we are considering a younger generation, thinking this will help us deal with the loss when it happens. Also hoping the pups would energize the older guys and that the older guys would help train the pups. At one time we had six dogs, three Bassets, two Jacks and a Jack Basset combo. They had favorites and it always with the opposite breed.

We like the idea of a rescue but this time I really want a puppy. We had two large Bassets and two that were smaller weighing in the high forty pound range. We'd really like to find a breeder that has smaller size Bassets. We are in our 70's and lifting is an issue. Any advice on where to look would be appreciated.
Lalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2017, 07:46 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default New puppy

Being of a 'certain age' myself and when we lost the last of our bloodline I was older too, I'm not going to say don't do this because of your age. However, common sense suggests to me that it might be better to wait until one of your two oldies passes. Thinking about them - yes, having a puppy around 'might' energise them BUT it might also go the opposite way and be too much for them to cope with now? And as for the oldies teaching a puppy - again you may find this doesn't happen - quite the opposite!! I hear you re 'lessening the blow' when the oldies do pass, but I doubt they'll both go at the same time, and, again as I did when down to our last home-bred Basset it might be better to wait until you have just one, and then think about whether it's fair, on the remaining dog, to bring in a puppy. When our second last died, we set about finding him a companion but it took 4 months, and having made the decision to switch to a taller/lighter breed, we bought a Whippet. She was 9 weeks when she came in and quite honestly, our remaining Basset headed for the nearest chair when she started into 'the zoomies'. Once we only had her, it didn't take long for me to realise Basset figurines weren't going to give me a Basset fix, so we bought in another Basset!!

This is your decision, but if this was me, I'd wait until you have just one left before thinking about a puppy Basset.

ps We never had our young Bassets in with our adults - the size/weight difference wasn't a good idea. Also much as there is a size difference in the various bloodlines, this shouldn't be the case - but if you want a smaller one, AVOID THE EUROPEAN BLOODLINES. These are big!! My current buy in is easily 80 lbs and NOT FAT. And yes, bathing is now an impossibility. So I use a groomer. And ramps for outside steps and the car - more because he has skeletal issues.
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 07:37 AM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

"We'd really like to find a breeder that has smaller size Bassets."

FWIW Most certainly not of of the field specific basset are smaller and higher energy than the typical conformation bred basset. check out American Hunting Basset Association on Facebook and i think you may find what you are looking for though it would involve some substantial travel

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AmericanHuntingBassetAssc/
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement