Crying in the mornings - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2017, 10:44 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Crying in the mornings

Hi,

New to the forum so would really appreciate some advice on this.

We've recently adopted a 5 year old Basset, we've had him for over a month now and it's safe to say he's settled in in every way except in the mornings he'll cry and cry until you get up and stay with him. We've tried letting him out for a toilet break and going back to bed but he'll still cry/bark until someone gets up with him. We've tried firm words as well as seeing how long we can ignore it for but nothing seems to work.

His previous owners said they've never had issues with this so we're a bit stuck on what to do.... and when I say morning I mean very early!

Does anyone have any advice?

Thank you in advance!

Last edited by meggyd; 03-15-2017 at 11:08 AM.
meggyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2017, 02:21 PM   #2 (permalink)

one of ours is a notorious whiner....

still settling in at a month with you. Likely still a little insecure.

patience and consistency.... ours is on a doggie bed in the bedroom. where does yours sleep?
3kbasset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 05:43 AM   #3 (permalink)

He sleeps and has full run of downstairs (we have a stair gate) I've been advised that having him sleep in our room for a while might help but I doubt we'll ever get him to sleep downstairs again if we let him?

Old 03-16-2017, 06:31 AM   #4 (permalink)

all of ours started in the bedroom on a doggie bed and no problem leaving as they got older.
3kbasset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 07:41 AM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

" I doubt we'll ever get him to sleep downstairs again if we let him?"

correct what is the bigger issue for you?

It is an attention seeking behavior. Many will tell you the best way to deal with it is simply ignore it and don't reward the behavior that is getting up.Much easier said then done . Secondly there will be an extinction burst which means the behavior will get worse much worse when trying to get rid of the behavior this way. I suggest the following Programme as easier for most owners to implement

http://a1harmony.com/harmony.html
"The Cure For Attention Seeking Behaviour Disorders

It is so simple – following the “crying baby” model for filling the need as soon as it arises, ASBDs can be entirely avoided as well as cured by giving focussed attention immediately and as soon as the request has been received.

This does not mean one has to put one’s entire life on hold or “run rings around the creature” – it is literally a simple little flash of attention at the right time and when first asked for it; the classic “a stitch in time saves nine” principle.

Rather than “rewarding” attention seeking behaviour, it never gets to escalate, the creature’s energy system remains balanced and the disturbed behaviours never need take place at all.

As the babies who are fed when they are hungry cry markedly less or not at all, creatures who receive attention energy (or love or recognition energy) when they ask for it, their attention seeking behaviours become markedly less frequent, markedly less dramatic and may cease altogether once the system has been in operation for a while and the creature has understood that not only can it get what it needs just the for the asking, but also it’s energy system has become more robust, more healthy, more resilient and won’t collapse when there is a time when attention is in short supply."
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 08:46 AM   #6 (permalink)

I agree, ignoring it definitely hasn't worked for us and I can't stand hearing him so distressed.
Thanks for the info, Mikey T
Old 03-19-2017, 10:10 PM   #7 (permalink)

Not a Basset Hound, but our Saint Bernard puppy used to bark at bed time. It started like 4 months after we got him randomly. He would bark until someone came out. My sister and I would go out and sit with him for like 3 hours petting him until he finally fell asleep because we didn't want our dad to get mad at us/the dog. It eventually got to the point where he would cry, I would sit out with him for like hours, go to bed, 10 minutes later he would be up doing it again. At this point I was 22 living at home with my dad and he was pissed, so he made my twin sister and I sleep in the living room on the couch for literally 2 months because every time we went in our room he would cry and bark and my dad wanted to sleep. Finally one weekend our dad went away on a golf trip and my sister and I decided to sleep in our room and just let him bark and see what happened. Literally first night he barked and cried and scratched at our door for almost 4 hours! Next night 2 hours. The night our dad came back he slept through the night!

I obviously don't know if this would work for all dogs, but it worked for us. You also have to be patient and maybe get some ear plugs because that first night was brutal. But what he wanted was attention and to not be alone and that's what we were rewarding him with every time he did it. We had to teach him that barking wouldn't get us to come out anymore.
Advertisement