Valley Fever - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2017, 11:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Valley Fever

I am getting my puppy in a month but I have some concerns about how to avoid Valley Fever after losing my beautiful basset to this terrible disease four years ago. I used to take Violet to desert areas around Phoenix to train in tracking. I am worried this is how she contracted Valley Fever. I'm thinking maybe I need to stay on grassy areas with this new dog, even though the desert is so much more interesting. Does anyone have any idea if these areas are okay? My vet said there's no way of knowing how she got sick, but I don't want to do the wrong thing.
Scarlett O'Haira's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2017, 04:13 AM   #2 (permalink)

https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/valley-fever-in-dogs

There are other websites, if you search
FranksMum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 06:23 AM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

no way to prevent getting it. The biggest factor in treating are early diagnose and a healthy dog. that is one without a compromised immune system from ofther conditions.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2017, 03:50 PM   #4 (permalink)

Not catching early was probably the worst thing that happened. She was not acting like her normal self but I had just brought home a new puppy and thought it was a reaction to that. Then she developed a bladder infection. I took her to the vet for that, didn't know anything else was wrong. Apparently you can't get aggressive in the treatment until the the bladder infection clears up. When her titers came back,the vet said she had never seen them so high before. So I ended up spending a fortune on meds and vet visits but it was already too late. It was horrible.
Old 03-15-2017, 03:51 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for your replies. I am going on the website right now.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:27 AM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

"Not catching early was probably the worst thing that happened."

This happens a lot with vet outside the affected areas they just don't see it so a dog that travels and brings it back it is like the last thing they look for. Not a fun disease in humans as well.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 11:50 AM   #7 (permalink)

I had a hard time getting over this loss and after four years I'm ready to get a new basset puppy. Since there doesn't seem to be much I can do to prevent Valley Fever and a scent hound is going to sniff, I've just got to relax and hope for the best. I heard that the University of Arizona is working on a vaccine for humans, so maybe a vaccine for dogs will follow. Thanks for your help on this. I get to pick up my puppy in a month and I will post pictures of her. Looking forward to puppy breath and floppy ears!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement