Inside or Out? - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2017, 08:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question Inside or Out?

Hi I'm new to the forum. My Basset is 8 month old Lola. Lola lived inside the house for a few months then a combination of her not being house trained, and her being really smelly, led to my partner moving her outside 😟 I tried house training her but she gradually spent less and less time inside thanks to her odour and her ability to jump onto all the furniture, and she is very stubborn so doesn't take orders very well lol.

My question is this, will she be ok being outdoors full time? Or should I bring her back inside and try teaching her some manners? 😂

Also, I think the increase in smell may be down to us switching her food, we can no longer get tripe in our area so feeding her on dry dog food (combination of nuts and meal), any suggestions for a diet that helps her smell better are welcome 😁 Thanks
kiki85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2017, 08:08 AM   #2 (permalink)

FIRST:Please find an obedience class and learn how to train her with positive reinforcement techniques. No yelling, no hitting- bassets respond best to firm guidelines with lots and lots of praise when they do the right thing.
For example, if she is chewing on something she shouldn't have, say "drop it" firmly: when she lets go, praise her and tell her she's a good girl.
Re:housebreaking: she needs to go out at regular intervals on a leash to the same place in your yard. Stand with her until she does her business, then praise her-

Bassets are loving dogs and want to please you more than anything. If you are willing to put some work into this you will be blessed with the best dog ever.

Bassets are very social and shouldn't be isolated- alone outdoors is not good for her. Or you: you are not enjoying the benefits of having a dog if you aren't with her.

Re: smell, she could have a skin problem, or an ear infection- dog food with corn also seems to increase odor- Mike has posted a lot of links on this forum regarding skin issues-

You and your partner need to be on the same page with this situation.

If you are willing to put effort into this she is still young enough that you can turn the situation around.

Please keep us posted on your progress with Lola, and good luck-
murraysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 08:13 AM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

bassets are highly social they do not do well being seperated from their family

"she is very stubborn so doesn't take orders very well lol."

Actual never met a stubborn basset only stubborn owners that believe believe dogs should do stuff simply to please the owner. That ain't going to happen. Make it worth the dogs while and they are very cooperative. It pay to take dog training classes that emphasize reinforcement.

odor (all scent hounds have a scent hound odor, it should not be particular strong or obnoxious.) Any obnoxious odor is the sign of a disease process, anal glands, ear infections, Lip fold Pyoderma, Periodontal disease and yeast infection of the skin are common ones. A dead fish smell is an indication of a bacterial infection, or anal gland issue, A Corn chip, rancid oil smell is a fungal infection

Many of these have an underlying cause like allergies that need to be treated or they keep coming back. Food is rarely the source of the odor because it only accounts for 10-15 % of all allergies. Rarely occur in puppies, and in those cases where the dog does have food allergies 90% of them also have atopy (inhalant an contact allergies ie pollen)

A fair number of bassets have a genetic skin disorder called Seborrhea. Characterized by large flaky dandruff and in basset generally a greasy coat there is a dry coat variety as well. There is no cure but frequent bathing with an antiseborrheic shampoo like selsun blue will keep it under control.

Last edited by Mikey T; 03-13-2017 at 08:35 AM.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2017, 08:25 AM   #4 (permalink)

"For example, if she is chewing on something she shouldn't have, say "drop it" firmly: when she lets go, praise her and tell her she's a good girl."

Need to teach the behavior before the cue. "drop it" has no meaning to the dog in this context

http://clickersolutions.com.wh.esosoft.net/articles/2002/whencue.htm

it is better to teach the behavior before you need it and with lower level resources like a non favorite toy. It also allow you to repeatedly train and be able to anticipate when the dog is actual going to do the desired behavior.

Last edited by Mikey T; 03-13-2017 at 08:34 AM.
Old 03-13-2017, 02:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

Talking

Thanks for the replies.

The smell is def not down to infection, she came to us with a really bad ear infection so I've been keeping really good care of her ears and eyes. I think it's just the hound smell alongside rolling about in mud and splashing around the lake while out walking. Gave her a really long bath today and she is smelling like a princess again 😁

I've also looked into obedience classes, just need to get her kennel cough shots or drops and then we will be good to go.

Will keep you posted, thanks again 😁😁
Old 03-13-2017, 02:50 PM   #6 (permalink)

Also, I will keep searching this forum for more content on how best to feed her, won't be long before she's pongy again haha
Old 03-13-2017, 04:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

Re: food- there's been alot posted on this forum about food, but to keep it simple you should find a good quality kibble with the first ingredient listed on the label being protein (chicken, beef, fish, whatever). Feed twice daily rather than one big meal- this breed is prone to bloat and torsion and splitting her daily intake helps that.

When I posted this earlier today I forgot to mention that if you do switch food, do it gradually over a period of a week or so, to avoid digestive problems. Even though some bassets like Otto seem to be half goat and eat all kinds of foreign objects which seem to pass straight through with no problems (Otto has passed whole plastic grocery bags), changing food suddenly can lead to loose stools and gastric upset. So go slowly.

Last edited by murraysmom; 03-13-2017 at 09:34 PM.
murraysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 11:53 AM   #8 (permalink)

"I've also looked into obedience classes, just need to get her kennel cough shots or drops and then we will be good to go. "

I completely understand why facilities of require Bordetella vaccine it is Simply a CYA move because the vaccine is not really effective

http://www.petmd.com/dog/general-health/evr_dg_kennel_cough_an_indepth_look
http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/three-critical-problems-kennel-cough-vaccine/
https://www.vetinfo.com/kennel-cough-vaccine-effectiveness.html
"Regardless if you opt for the intranasal vaccine or the injectable shot, a vaccinated dog has a 40% chance of getting infected with the kennel cough"

"won't be long before she's pongy again haha "

and you know the cure it is rather simple. When the question comes up how often should you bath a basset there is only one correct answer. As often as it needs it. Their are those that will tell you should not bath more frequently than 1 month every 6 weeks etc. because it will dry out their skin. This is patently false. Water does not dry the skin it can only hydrate the skin. Harsh chemicals or detergents can strip all the natural oils and irritate the skin, but is caused by inappropriate use of a product not of the frequency of the bathing. The most important part of bathing is rinsing thoroughly it should take as long or longer to rinse as bath.

You are like more sensitive than most to the odor. I would recommend a high quality odor control shampoo made specifically for dogs. In general you are not going to find these as a pet store. For specific recommendation PM my Wife whose user name on here is "soundtrack" she is a professional groomer that owns her own shop.

https://www.petedge.com/zpetedgemain/catalog/simpleSearch.jsf?firstRow=12&sort=RD&wec-appid=PEDM_WEBSHOP_TR&show=12&view=grid&simpleSearchString=shampoo&wec-locale=en_US

http://www.groomerschoice.com/Shampoos-Conditioners-Sprays/departments/16/

http://store.ryanspet.com/Shampoo-Coat_Care

https://www.davismfg.com/store/category/pet-shampoos/

https://www.davismfg.com/store/category/pet-shampoos/

if I am not mistaken "Soundtrack" like Lambert Kay's [url=http://www.lambertvetsupply.com/Fresh-n-Clean-Oatmeal-and-Baking-Soda-Shampoo_p_1986.html ] Fresh n Clean Oatmeal and Baking Soda shampoo[/url] for this purpose.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement