Looking for Advice on Cleaning a Gravel Dog Run - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2007, 02:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

I've created a pretty large area in our yard for puppy Dassi to do her business. It is covered with about 3 inches deep of pea gravel and is working out nice.

Her last stool sample showed that she had the parasite Giardia and I want to be proactive about keeping the run clean and disinfected to prevent her getting this bug again.

I was thinking of using one those sprayers you hook up to the hose and filling the container with either full strength bleach or a diluted bleach/water solution. My guess is that as the solution is mixed with the water from the hose that it would produce a pretty low concentrated solution that disinfect/deodorize the run and most importantly, be safe for Dassi.

Anyone have any hands-on experience with this issue?

Thanks,

- Ric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2007, 08:40 PM   #2 (permalink)

i would get rid of the gravel and go with a cement pad. if you look it up in your search bar there are some very good suggestions on how to keep your pup from getting reinfected and so you don't get infected either.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

Uh oh. Pea gravel?

I have a deep and abiding hatred of pea gravel, especially since the people who owned this place before me brought in truckload after truckload of river rock and pea gravel working under the delusion, I tell you, that if they put river rock and pea gravel down, they wouldn't have to mow.

Well, I'm here to tell you that's just not true. In fact, all it really does is make mowing harder, especially when it all works its way down into the earth (which it will) and forms an impenetrable river rock / pea gravel layer, much like the impenetrable La Brea Tar Pits or whatever layer out there in California (if it's still there and they haven't just turned it into a strip mall).

So I say, BUCK IT UP! Ric Hollander, and accept that no amount of pea gravel is going to save you from having to mow! In fact, all it will do is cause you infinite pain and misery as it works its way into the earth and forms a dense, cement like layer impervious to jack hammers, backhoes, gophers, groundhogs and everything else.

Just. Say. No.

Singed: biscuit, hater of pea gravel.
biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 10:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

I might piggyback on this as well. Maggie was diagnosed with the same thing (which I can't spell, see the first post). The problem is that over the winter she pooped quite a bit in the backyard and snow would cover it over, etc. So a lot of it is cleaned up, but I'm worried about how long these bugs will live. Apparently you are supposed to burn any areas where the dog poops. I don't want to be vain, but I don't want to burn all the grass in my backyard. Does anyone know how long these things live for? Right now I'm walking maggie out front where I can clean up on the pavement.
Missjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 10:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

If you can burn where you are, I would go ahead and do that, MissJoy. It grows back really nice and green - and it kills ticks!

But ask for help if you've never done that before so you don't set the neighborhood on fire.

Biscuit had giardia at one point but I just can't remember for the life of me what I did.
Old 04-13-2007, 09:20 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
So I say, BUCK IT UP! Ric Hollander, and accept that no amount of pea gravel is going to save you from having to mow! In fact, all it will do is cause you infinite pain and misery as it works its way into the earth and forms a dense, cement like layer impervious to jack hammers, backhoes, gophers, groundhogs and everything else.[/b]
Wow, there's some serious distain here for pea gravel. Sorry to hear it gives you such grief.

My reason for using it has absolutely NOTHING to do with lawn mowing or preventing weeds from coming up or any other reason related to what has been mentioned, but rather to provide a special area of the yard for our pup to do her business. There's plenty of grass out there as well as a large cement patio area, so I have zero interest in adding any more cement.

I placed the pea gravel in a location that is rarely used and was previously just earth and a slate walk way between a barn/shed and the fence on the properly line. The gravel provides a much cleaner area for her to walk on (no mud) and is really easy to clean up after she goes. Every time I walk her out there she goes immediately, i.e. she associates the pea gravel with doing her business. So far, as I said, it's working out great. My question was regarding the use of a topical disinfectant that could be applied periodically to the area to keep it clean and I would appreciate anyone's help.

I found a product called "Kenel-Sol" which sounds like the right stuff. Anyone ever used it?

- Ric
Old 04-13-2007, 03:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

Hopefully, you know, I'm just trying to cause you some grief, Ric.
Okay, I'm not. I really do hate pea gravel that much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement