How much do you feed them? - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2007, 12:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

I was wondering how many cups of food you feed your hounds? Let's say how much when they were feed as a puppy compared to what you feed to adults.
Marilynfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2007, 01:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

I honestly don't remember how much we fed Scully as a puppy, since it was so long ago. What I do remember though, is that whatever amount we fed her, she always found some way to poop out twice as much!!
Old 02-01-2007, 01:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

My two vary everyday. Sometime they can't get enough, and other days they won't hardly eat and will have leftovers. (Elmer-n-Button asked about leftovers in my [topic="http://www.heatherweb.com/cyberhound/boards/index.php?showtopic=3564"]Eating in bed![/topic] post)
Both hounds all together get fed 6-8 cups of dry food & 3-4 cans of 22oz canned food per day.
They are very active and thin, but they will only eat so much, leaving leftovers. Most days they get 8 cups and 4 cans, but that's their limit if they do eat it all.
I should mention they also get 8-10 dog biskets a day too.
As they get older, I'll likely have to cut them back. At 2 1/2 years old, I can already see a little slowing down in the active part.

As for when they were pups, almost half what they get now. When I got Dozer, he was a big boy weighing 12 lbs at 8 weeks, and shot up to 26 lbs by 3 months. By his 4th month I got Digger (and a second job to pay for dogfood), and he was also a heavy pup. By that time, I left food out all the time, so who knows for sure. Neither were fat, just big pups.
Old 02-01-2007, 01:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

mine get fed twice a day. Rupert has ten handfuls a day and Precious has five.

RIP Precious gone too soon.
vonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 03:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

I feed mine twice a day. They each get 2 cups in the morning and 2 cups for dinner. A biscuit occassionally. They also share a whole carrot for lunch. They never gulp their food like my Maggie Mae (AT did. They eat slowly over a 15 minute time span. Sometimes one of them won't finish their portion and I save it for their next meal. They like their kibble but are definitely not pigs about it!!
Maggie's Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 04:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

Baxter is 5 months old and, according to the company that manufacturers his food (Nurto), he's supposed to get 3 1/3 cups a day. I feed him twice a day so I end up dividing it up so that he gets about 3 1/2 cups a day. He woofs down his food in a few minutes! The other 2 Bassets I've had were slow eaters and would sometimes leave some over. Not Baxter! He'll actually be 6 months old the 16th of this month so I guess it's ok to give him a little more. I also give him 2 puppy biscuits per day. I know he's always hungry, but I don't want him to get overweight.
Baxter Basset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 04:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

3 cups Beneful Weight Management per day,
plus about 1/4 cup bil jac sprinkled on the top for His Highness.
And maybe 3-4 (small dog) treats per day.

I feed Josť around 6 when I get home from work & he will run and eat, trying to pick out the good stuff (Bil Jac). He manages to eat about half & then makes a bee line for the treats because somehow or other I got in the habit of rewarding him with a treat for eating his supper.... He used to get a treat when he finished it all but now we've all become lazy.

He finishes the other half maybe around 9 or even 10 or 11. Or he might leave it until the next day. He gets a treat when we eat (around 7 or 8) and then begs for treats afterwards, to which I have to answer "Go eat your food!" and he will eventually get the hint and finish every morsel of food. Then another treat, of course!

Weekends.... same amount of food but since we are home & this forces him to be awake, he will get a cup or two of dry food whenever he asks & the balance later on for dinner.
Old 02-01-2007, 04:44 PM   #8 (permalink)

Mine are fed 2x a day. I fill the bowl, which means they get about 2 c. each meal. They usually get 2 treats a day. They are both in great shape.

~Heather

Miss you Lily (ATB 3/15/12) & Gibbs (6/10/14). My original "hound dogs"...lost, but never forgotten.
2hounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 06:46 PM   #9 (permalink)

Floyd eats 4 cups of Eagle Pack Anchovy, Salmon, Sardine split over 2 meals. He has the odd snack, like a bit of dehydrated liver or some veggies that I might be eating. On occasion he gets a cookie. He is lean, muscular, very active.

Old 02-01-2007, 08:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
sambud

Thumbs up

What's "Bil Jac?" Sambud

Quote:
3 cups Beneful Weight Management per day,
plus about 1/4 cup bil jac sprinkled on the top for His Highness.
And maybe 3-4 (small dog) treats per day.

I feed Josť around 6 when I get home from work & he will run and eat, trying to pick out the good stuff (Bil Jac). He manages to eat about half & then makes a bee line for the treats because somehow or other I got in the habit of rewarding him with a treat for eating his supper.... He used to get a treat when he finished it all but now we've all become lazy.

He finishes the other half maybe around 9 or even 10 or 11. Or he might leave it until the next day. He gets a treat when we eat (around 7 or 8) and then begs for treats afterwards, to which I have to answer "Go eat your food!" and he will eventually get the hint and finish every morsel of food. Then another treat, of course!

Weekends.... same amount of food but since we are home & this forces him to be awake, he will get a cup or two of dry food whenever he asks & the balance later on for dinner.[/b]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement