Need Help! - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2007, 09:48 AM   #1 (permalink)

Its been a long time since I've posted a topic on this board. But I really need your help. I have two basset hounds Winston and Clementine that we rescued. But unfortunately, we are considering giving Clementine up. We've had Clementine for three years, and she has some serious aggression issues. We have tried numerous training techniques and nothing works. She is very attached to me and very aggressive towards my husband and my other dog. Honestly, we cannot take more of this. When I'm home, she guards me andd tries not to let my husband or Winston near me. She will snarl, growl and even attack them. The other night, I was asleep and my husband tried to get in bed and she bit him. We cannot have that. I'm also tired of being woken up in the middle of the night (off and on for three years)

I know dogs will growl and rough house, but I'm worried about Winston. Last week, she attacked him when he got on the bed. I feel like she's very unpredictable Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde. We are considering getting pregnant this year, and I'm seriously worried about how she would act towards a baby. Should we give her back to the basset hound rescue? I just wouldn't want her to be put down. We think that she would do better in a house where a woman is home more. She seems to have issue with men. We were told by the rescue that the man in her last home was not nice to her. Also, we just put her on medication to see if that would help. Please I need your advice.
Winston's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2007, 09:59 AM   #2 (permalink)

Have you brought in a professional behaviorist? Your concerns are well-founded, particularly with a pregnancy in your future.

I would not let her on the bed, the couch, a chair, etc. -- at all, under any circumstances. Her 'place' is her own bed or the floor. That's it! Before you give her a treat or her food, make her do a down/ or a sit/stay. She does nothing, gets nothing, including going out or coming back in, until/unless YOU say it's okay. You must establish your authority over her. That may help. And I would definitly seek professional help.

This is very serious. Good luck.......
Old 01-09-2007, 10:08 AM   #3 (permalink)

sorry to hear about what you are going through at the moment - hugs

i dont have lots of advice for you but i can say that we got a rescue and we only had him a week before sending him back to the rescue center. he bit my boyfriend twice and bullied my basset puppy.

he scared the living daylights out of anyone who walked through our door (friends and family). he loved me to pieces though but i didnt like him once he had shown an aggressive side. we too are planning on trying for a baby within 6/12 months and made the quick decision he wasnt the right dog for us.

to be honest i think you should send him back to a rescue center and get some advise off people on this site to whether or not he should be put down. just imagin walking him up the street and a little child came over to pet your dog and then the dog bite them - not a nice thought at all.

let us know how you get on.
clarejon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 10:38 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thank you both for your advice. Keep it coming! We have definitely tried the professional behavoralist route in the past, and honestly, I think we are beyond that. The frustrating thing is that we've tried different tactics but nothing seems to change her behavior long term. Honestly, we think she has a wire loose. We were just about to start her on medication (puppy prozac) when she attacked my husband. She has bitten him numerous times but never drawn blood. However, this time you could actually see little holes.

Clarejon, what you said really resonated with me. The more she loves me and is attached to me, the less I love her. I know it sounds mean. But I just do not like how she acts towards my husband and Winston. We almost gave her back to the rescue when we got her. She used to run away alot and was aggressive. We got her to be a playmate for Winston. In the beginning the played a lot, but now much less.

Old 01-09-2007, 12:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

I know this sounds harsh, but I think that once a dog crosses the line to become dangerous to others, if you can't commit to managing him 24/7, then he should be put down.

Passing him along to someone else is not only unfair to a new owner, but unfair to the dog who may end up in horrendous circumstances.

I managed a vicious dachshund for many years. The dog belonged to my husbands late wife, and he couldn't bring himself to put the dog down. We managed him for 7 years- IT WAS VERY VERY HARD, and I was never comfortable with it.

This is just my opinion based on sad experience- good luck with your decision, I really sympathize with you.
murraysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 12:43 PM   #6 (permalink)

Rescues legally can't take dogs --- even their own --- who have bitten anybody.

I'm guessing you've ruled out medical problems? Biscuit got very grumpy after he came down with a tick disease. He just plain didn't feel good, and he became relatively aggressive toward Lady (who he simply hated). He was always a dominant dog, but became close to aggressive his last few months.

So medical problems can contribute.

O/w, I agree with murraysmom. You cannot return him to the rescue, as they can't place him. If you're unable to get suitable intervention from a behaviorist, then you have to put him down.
biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 01:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks! The rescue we got her from said that if we had any issues with her we should contact them directly. So it sounds like that should be our next step. Like I said, she's been very aggressive but has not hurt anyone. Part of me feels that she might be manageable with someone else. So I guess that's my next step.
Old 01-09-2007, 03:53 PM   #8 (permalink)

I'm sorry for what you are going through. This is a tough decision. I would certianly contact the rescue you got her from. They may say she needs to be put down, but they are able to help with that decision.

Good luck,

~Heather

Dear sweet Lily (ATB ) you will never be forgotten.
2hounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 04:12 PM   #9 (permalink)

This does sound beyond dealing with. Maybe the rescue will take her back to try and find another situation for her, but I'm afraid Clementine's first ever home could very well have damaged her beyond repair. Some things just can't be fixed, and if aggression is hard-wired into a dog, there's just one thing to do ................
Old 01-09-2007, 10:29 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
she's been very aggressive but has not hurt anyone. Part of me feels that she might be manageable with someone else. So I guess that's my next step.[/b]
In some states it is illegal to give away an aggressive dog. Also if you give her up and she bites someone you can be sued. I'd consult a lawyer before giving her back to rescue or another person.

Your decision is one of the most difficult decisions we as dog lovers ever have to make. If I had an aggressive dog and behavioral training and or medication couldn't make them safe, I couldn't live with a loaded gun nor would I give that loaded gun to someone else. If you give her away, won't you worry that if she bites someone she might be beaten, or that someone else will have to bear the burden of having her euthanized?

Please do what's best for your family, Winston, Clementine and think about her next owners being in your shoes.
Barbara Winters is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement