PLEASE HELP!!!! - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2006, 08:53 AM   #1 (permalink)

Hi my name is Ilze i need help with my 3 1/2 month old basset puppy. He keeps on urinating in my house he has the idea of pooping outside but he still urinates in the house. I think the time for crate training has passed, i have tried everything. I give him a treat when he urinates outside and i have shouted, clapped my hands yelling NO!, and i have even gotten to the point of lightly spanking him with the newspaper. Please help is there anything i can do to make my and his life easier.

And is it normal for bassets to be so hyperactive when they are puppies?
monty's mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2006, 09:06 AM   #2 (permalink)

Hi there,

I'm probably not the best person for advise on Bassets as I only have one and it's our first dog ever!

Is your dog peeing in the same place everytime or is it anywhere and everywhere?

We put newspaper down when snoopy was a puppy and gradually moved the paper closer and closer towards the door so finally the paper was outside and she didnt pee in the house again. We've had a few accidents recently but that's cos we have changed her rutine as my partner is now working nights.

Snoopy was very hyper and disobedient as a young puppy. we found changing her food to a more expensive and much better quality worked wonders.

hope this helps

Clare
clarejon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 09:10 AM   #3 (permalink)

Sorry you're finding it difficult. I have never had a pup but I know that 3 1/2 months is far to young to expect him to be trained. The only thing I wil say is, IMO hitting him with anything will only make the problem worse and even make him fearful and aggressive, then you will have real problems. He will not understand why he is being spanked(be it lightly or otherwise). Don't understand why you say he is by crate training. He is only 31/2 months old!!!!!!!!!!! Hopefully someone who has more experience than I have will come on and give you some advice. Best of luck.
sadeyes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 09:15 AM   #4 (permalink)

oh and i deffinately dont think it too late for crate training
Old 10-03-2006, 09:37 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanx for your replies i will definitly try and take your advise i like the advise about the newspapers and moving them outside gradually. I don't think crating will work with Monty he is very hyper and he is already used to the idea that he can play outside all day, i think it will kill him to be in a crate when he is grated so much freedom now. That's what i don't understand he pees outside the whole day but the moment he comes in the house he has to mark it how do i get it out of his head that MY house is not his territory?

Again thank you soooo much for all your help.
monty's mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 10:31 AM   #6 (permalink)

i think the territory marking thing is something male dogs do. i have a girl so she's not done that.

good luck! remember he's only a baby - it's still early enough to train him to do anything you want!

i found it hard to train snoopy and then i made up a scary low toned voice when she was being naughty and i talk to her in that voice when she is doing something she should'nt! it seems to work wonders - my boyfriend thinks i am mad! but then he doesnt have much control over her and i do.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:00 PM   #7 (permalink)

I got Moose when he was three. He was a kennel dog, and was NOT house broken. He did not catch on at all, to any of the housebreaking tricks I had tried. So I brought out the crate!

He, too is very hyper, but it worked!! In fact it worked in about two days!! I just ran with him directly from the crate to the door. He caught on so quick. I also found putting him in the crate calmed him down abit, at times.

Having said that, your puppy is much too young to expect it to be trained yet. It's a baby. Get some puppy training pads (Walmart), to save your carpet, and have them by the door. Bassets are extememly hard to train, but believe me, one day it will be like a light bulb went on, and he'll get it. (in a year or two )

Some pups are more hyper than others. Please don't ever hit it, with anything. Then you may have other issues with agression. Puppies need to CHEW, or they'll go crazy...make sure to have safe chew toys, etc for him. And walk him. You will hear this ALOT on here: A tired basset is a good basset. Enjoy your puppy!

Sandy

Old 10-03-2006, 12:17 PM   #8 (permalink)

VERY well said Sandy!! I was going to post a reply basically saying everything she did. He will eventually learn. PATIENCE is the key to any puppy. He is worth the time & effort. Don't give up or give in to him. The trick is to be more stubborn than he is. Bassets are a wonderful breed, so loving!!! Definitely advise against hitting him with anything!
Maggie's Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 01:08 PM   #9 (permalink)

It's going to take a while to get your little one completley housebroken. Sophie had accidents up to her 1st birthday. But soon after that she was able to hold it until we got outside. And now she knows to bark or bang into the blinds by the sliding glass door whenever she wants to go outside and potty. I would definitley recommend using the crate to help with training.

Sophie's Homepage
malikasimone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 03:07 PM   #10 (permalink)

So sorry you are having problems with Monty, but you are expecting way to much from a 3 and 1/2 month old puppy. Never ever spank him, you will only confuse him and make him agressive. Bassets mature slower than many breeds and as a result are harder to housetrain. We are on our second male and neither was totally trustworthy in the house until about 1 and 1/2 years old.
Crate training works wonders when you cannot watch your puppy inside. Take him outside play with him be sure he has pottied, and bring him in for a bit of freedom in the house watching him constantly. Put him on his leash so he is right with you and tie him to you if necessary. If you can't watch him put him in the crate. Immediately upon taking him out of the crate, back out side until he potties. Lots of praise, pets, treats when he potties outside. If he makes a mistake inside be sure to clean the area well, pet shops have good products to help with the odor. Also a solution of vinegar and water helps. If the odor remains they will usually return to the same area and try to go there again.
Remember to take him out after he wakes up, after he eats, and during playing, before you crate him, activity and excitement make them go more often. It will take lots of patience on your part and learning to read his signals.
You have gotten lots of good advice from the other forum members as well. Good luck, and enjoy Monty.

BubbaLeroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement