Need help with whining! - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2006, 06:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Need help with whining!

Dexter is 3.5 years old and it seems like that is all he does anymore! It's over the simplest of things too -- things he knows will happen and that he doesn't need to whine for.

1) Every morning when my alarm goes off, the 5 minutes it takes me to turn the alarm off and put on some clothes, he's whining.

2) Every day when I get home until I take him out for a walk, he's whining (and he doesn't have to use the bathroom -- he gets taken out a few times during the day).

3) If I put food in his bowl then start filling his water bowl up, he'll whine until I'm done.

I'm at my wit's end with it. What can be done? I've tried using the "QUIET" command, I've even just stopped everything I'm doing when he starts whining to see if he picks up that it doesn't get him what he wants -- but neither has worked.

Any suggestions? The whining just makes me not want to do the things that I was going to do!
Sound of Silence is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2006, 06:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Need help with whining!

He's just excited and that's his way of saying so. All those activities are high points in his doggy day. Try to think of it as him talking to you and saying, "Yippee! You're getting up (or we're going for a walk, or you're giving me FOOD!!!)" He's not doing it to be a bad dog or whining the way a kid does, to be petulant.
Valerie and George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 07:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Anonymous

Ruby is a whiner. Some are more vocal than others.
Old 03-30-2006, 07:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Anonymous

I finally came to that conclusion with Belvedere ...it's his way of being excited. He doesn't whine for food when we're eating and he doesn't do it to get us to do something. It's only after we start. He's impatient and anxious to get moving.

Some of these things we just can't control.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:39 PM   #5 (permalink)

Yep, I've got a whiner too. And yes, it can get very aggrivating but it is just what he does, like the others have said, when he is happy/excited. Sometimes, particularly in the morning, the only option I have is to put him in a room on his own while I get ready/wake up. No, he's not happy and I don't particularly like doing it, but sometimes it just has to be or the whining will, frankly, drive me mad and I rather do love the little chap.
xtineebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 10:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Anonymous

I got one too! I guess I don't hear Maggie whine that much because I'm so used to noise with a 4 yr old and almost 2yr kids. But when I do notice it is when we are eatting dinner. Our dogs aren't allowed in the kitchen when we eat(otherwise my children wouldn't eat due to sharing) so they sit at the kitchen opening. I guess she is mad so she whines the whole time. And it will test your patience, I know. And she'll whine when she needs out or water or food. Or sometimes I think to make sure her squeaker(the nick name for the whinning) works.

My best advice is just learn to tune it out. After 6.5 years with Maggie I'm learning to do it. But some days it is harder than others. Good luck and if you find anything that works let me know...
Old 03-30-2006, 11:00 PM   #7 (permalink)

Guess I'm not alone.

The whining when they need to go out is perfectly understandable and I don't mind it at all -- even though we have set times throughout the day, if you gotta go you gotta go.

It's the whining when I know he's just doing it because he thinks it will get me to do one thing or another. The morning thing is the most frustrating because it's not even him whining to go to the bathroom -- its him whining just to bet let out of my room (I wake up, brush my teeth, let the dog into the living room, shower, then let him out). He's already whining by the time I'm walking to the bathroom to brush my teeth.
Sound of Silence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 08:32 AM   #8 (permalink)
Anonymous

It is my understanding the Bassets are generally pretty vocal dogs, my Copper is both whiney and barky. I dont mind the whining at all in fact I am beginning to teach him to make some sounds that resemble words. He whines when I am feeding him or when he knows its time for a walk. I can understand how it kind of stresses you out, I can say for me, that I love Copper so much that the whining sometimes makes me feel like I can't do things for him fast enough, but I just try to keep calm and talk him through it. Which is sort of the same thing I have done with my sometimes impatient 2yr old, and I think mostly it just helps me to keep me calm.
Anyways.... look on the bright side, it could be incessant barking.
Old 03-31-2006, 03:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
Anonymous

Jasmine's whining has definitely picked up in the past coupe of months. She seems to do it whenever she wants attention. Everyone finds it quite amusing at first, but it can drive you nuts after a while. If only she weren't so cute... =)
Old 03-31-2006, 04:52 PM   #10 (permalink)

Ditto to what everyone is saying.

Cooter will get up on the couch in the evenings and whine and whine and whine. Were rubbing him and petting him and he's still whining. Drives me batty!!!
Lisacastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement