Ruby has a new lump! - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2006, 02:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Anonymous

Default Ruby has a new lump!

Remember in August when Ruby had a couple of her cysts biopsied and removed? (all benign for you newbies on the list)

Well, she now has a lump the size of a pea on the velvet part of her ear. It's not a flea or tick and doesn't seem like a bug bite. We don't have a permanent vet for her yet so we'll keep an eye on it and once we get someone lined up, we'll point it out.

I'm concerned tho that this is going to be an ongoing problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2006, 02:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Ruby has a new lump!

Having had several Bassets get to 11-12, current one is 13, I have found these fatty tumors (benign) to be just pretty common. Then there are what I'd call warts too, Maggie has several small ones all over, and one on inside of her ear, about 1 inch from tip. Pea sized, ugly, but, well, just there. She also has a fatty benign tumor behind her ear that is getting pretty big, but it's been there a long time and at her age I'd as soon avoid anaesthesia (but her bad breath argues for teeth cleaning too). Anyway, lumpy is one of her knicknames.
PiedmontBassetlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 03:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

I concur with PeidmontBassetlover...

My dog is 9 years old and he has several lumps. We have had a few checked and all were non-cancerous. I'm not a vet, so do not go exclusively what I say, but I would not be too concerned about a lump. It seems BH's are just prone to this, especially as they get older. I just consider it more of them to love. Like I really needed and excuse anyway

The theives would trip over him when they are lugging out my TV!
Floppyears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 08:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

give lumpy little Rubydoo a hug for me.

Sandy
Old 02-11-2006, 07:58 AM   #5 (permalink)
Anonymous

When I took Beau to the vet for the first time, I pointed out a couple of pea sized lumps. They were cysts and he took a needle and aspirated them. I know he had some tumors removed from his backside before I got him. yvonne
Old 02-11-2006, 10:03 AM   #6 (permalink)

In addition to the benign tumors, mine have had several sebaceous cysts; more like a big nasty pimple. Maggie had one for years that was about the size of a grape on her side, vet said not to worry. Then, when we were gone for three weeks and a friend was house sitting, it decided to erupt. Erupt is about as good a word as you could use, it was a mess and required about 8 stitches to close. Fortunately, this was a good friend who is not squeamish, we still laugh about it! That, and the fact that she convinced him couch time was OK and that he allowed her to develop what has become an insatiable milkbone habit! (He likes to eat; only person I know who will actually order DESERT before dinner!)
PiedmontBassetlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement