Training a Basset - Page 2 - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2017, 04:22 PM   #11 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

"The main thing to remember when training Bassets is they are not the least bit interested in doing something to please you."

having worked with beagles basset in general are far more biddable then beagles but all scent hound are low on the biddable scale. and all the so called easy to train dogs are high.

Actual this has nothing to do with how hard or easy it is to tray a particular dog. Biddable dog can be trained with some old school method that simple won't work wit non biddable dogs. This in the long run says more about the training method than it does the dog.

http://suzanneclothier.com/hard-train
"In a deliciously ironic twist, our deliberate selection for certain behavioral traits in purebred dogs has led to the development of breeds who, more strenuously than others, insist on interesting, well thought out answers to the two primary life questions. For example, a Border Collie might ask "Why?" and be perfectly satisfied with an answer of "Because I told you to." Driven by a nearly insatiable desire to do anything - even busy work - a Border Collie questions no further. On the other hand, a Siberian Husky receiving such an answer might simply **** his head and gaze at his handler with barely contained amusement. (Every Siberian worth his salt knows that "Because I told you to" is not an acceptable answer.) And the dialogue begins.

Handler: You should do this because you love me.
Siberian (truthfully): Love is a feeling, not a reason.
Handler (a bit pompous): It is important that you do this.
Siberian (with great wisdom): Humans give importance to the wrong things.
Handler (growing angry): If you don't do this, I'll punish you.
Siberian (with dignity): Then I may have no choice but to comply. But I can choose not to trust or like you.
Handler (calmer, trying another approach): I'll make it fun for you.
Siberian (interested): How much fun?
Handler: So much fun that you'll beg for more!
Siberian: On that basis, I'll try it. But remember, I'm easily bored. This better be good.

Now, if the handler was trying to get this Siberian to run, the dialogue would be much different:

Handler: I want you to run like the wind.
Siberian: I'm already gone!"

Last edited by Mikey T; 03-20-2017 at 04:25 PM.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2017, 05:02 PM   #12 (permalink)

Neat 2004 Video by toughynutter | Photobucket

The female in video' is the better half known hear as "soundtrack"
Old 03-20-2017, 05:29 PM   #13 (permalink)

"As she gets more confident and follows her nose I am worried that she might wander off '

in the field bassets are much closer workers than say beagles they general do not get that far away. However if the are chasing something they should not such as deer or fox they can end up miles away. It would take signifcant recall training for to over come the distraction of deer or a fox. When doing Field trials in Non-enclosed areas we have garmin tracking collars for this reason.

Old 03-20-2017, 05:38 PM   #14 (permalink)

I also signed up for "good doggie online" it sends you an email every day with new training tips to try. Just started it but its been useful so far. might also be for older dogs.
shmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement