Preparing for rehab - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2017, 11:38 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Preparing for rehab

Came across the forum looking for info on rehab. My boy had surgery for a disc which was pressing on his spine.

Surgeon says he's doing really well but when he comes home, hopefully Friday (went in on Monday), I want to make sure everything is set for him.

I know he can't do stairs, how do I get him in and out of the garden to pee? He has to go up about 4 inches one side then down about 6 inches the other. Will he need a ramp on one / both sides? Same problem with the front door but once I've got him in he won't be going anywhere.

Seem things online about keeping him in a crate but he would hate that. Was thinking I could just keep him downstairs so long as he is blocked off from climbing on the sofa or anything like that. Think I'll probably sleep downstairs as well as he won't want to sleep on his own.

My biggest worry is when I'm out at work. He normally goes to doggy day care but if he isn't mobile and can't get in and out of the car that's not really an options. I work close to home so can pop back to check on him. Anyone else had to do the same?

Obviously I'm going to go through all this with the vet when I have the appointment to collect him but any advise would be welcome.
chiefdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2017, 04:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Crate rest IS very important, the less they are moving around while healing the better. They may hate it, but they'll hate not being able to walk even more. Yes, you will probably need ramps. Is he able to walk?
Deela-Ch Soundtrack Wink Of An Eye
Hermione - Soundtrack Spellbound
Eowyn - Soundtrack Rain Dance
Faith - Soundtrack Gotta Have Faith
Pumpkin - Soundtrack Smashing Pumpkins
Hope - Soundtrack Pandora's Box
Soundtrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 04:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

He could walk before the op, was just a bit wobbly and would topple over on his rear left leg.

Vet says he has feeling in both since the op and is walking on the right and a little bit on the left. She's very happy with his progress.

Guess I'll leave him crated then and pop back from work to check on him. Hopefully he won't drive the neighbours too mad. Tried leaving him at home alone a bit a few months back and got complaints he was constantly howling
chiefdave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2017, 08:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

If the crate doesn't work I would try a very small, safe area like the bathroom or laundry room (remove all hazards first, of course).
Deela-Ch Soundtrack Wink Of An Eye
Hermione - Soundtrack Spellbound
Eowyn - Soundtrack Rain Dance
Faith - Soundtrack Gotta Have Faith
Pumpkin - Soundtrack Smashing Pumpkins
Hope - Soundtrack Pandora's Box
Soundtrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 06:41 AM   #5 (permalink)

Dog Pet Ramp Plastic Folding Bi Fold Lightweight Strong Easipet 422 | eBay

When our lad went down with loads of mobility/structural problems, we bought two ramps. One as above for the car and a second for the 3 steps we have outside our back door to the garden. That one is shorter and not hinged like the car one, because of the space involved (steps to a left turn into the garden). Can't find any listed now (Ebay). I would say because the ramp covering is like emeryboard, we bought some carpet tiles to stick on which work better, for Frankie. Because the ramp over the steps has to be outside all the time, I will probably have to replace the carpet tiles eventually.

Otherwise re not enjoying being crated, as he must be kept confined for this surgery to get the best chance of healing as it should, I too would clear a small area for him (I'd prefer that to be a utility room really but a bathroom may be okay provided he can't get into the toilet) or use an ex-pen in the corner of the living room?
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 09:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

I know for my boy he loves to look out windows. We made a "castle" (as we call it) for him by the sliding glass door and he loves it. Just made a pen in his favorite spot of the house.
shmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement