Basset or Beagle - Page 2 - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2016, 09:42 AM   #11 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

"You have bassets that do agility?"

One that was top ten in the country all breeds for her jump Height. USDA performance Snooker 12" 2005

http://vid32.photobucket.com/albums/...satsnooker.mp4

http://vid32.photobucket.com/albums/.../grandprix.mp4

PRey drive depend on the individual dog and training
[actually a high prey drive can make for an easier to train dog)

macey agility
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0tqf_-SQq8

MACEY fIELD TRIAL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LMtlccl-b0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8tO7yKSscI

DON'T HAVE any beagle vids but do Have Fischer my Harrier ie beagle on steriods

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvbCm7dPeXs

he was not that hard to train easier than the beagles but stressed out in competition. All his qualifying runs came late on Sunday when almost everyone had already left.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2016, 06:24 PM   #12 (permalink)

Gracie will fetch. Sophie just stares......
3kbasset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 06:59 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamara6 View Post
One other thing you should know - bassets absolutely do not fetch. If you throw a ball they might get it once. Maybe even bring it back (or maybe not). But if you take it away and throw it again, they will just look at you like "well, I guess you really don't want it, since you keep throwing it away. I certainly won't go get it for you again."

I've had three bassets. They were all extremely smart, very sneaky, kind of tricky. And none of them played by fetching.
None of mind has been the slightest bit interested in the concept of 'fetch'!! You can see the thought process (yes, thought) - 'you must be joking if you think I'm going to get involved in that'. True Basset!!

When we got our Whippet, who actually doesn't do balls either, it was a culture shock to have her want to chase and bring back her Kong Wubba.
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2016, 04:51 PM   #14 (permalink)

Mariah would fetch on her terms.

1. never in stressful situations

2. The more you desire her to fetch the least likely she would do so. The more annoying you found it at the time the more likely she would.
Old 05-18-2016, 09:43 PM   #15 (permalink)

@mikeyT:

I have to ask.....what constitutes a fetch in stressful situations?

(I think of fetch as during play
Old 05-19-2016, 07:47 AM   #16 (permalink)

for her something like a dog park with other people or dogs around

We humans often put dogs in stressful situations for them thinking it should be fun. see
My Dog Got Kicked Out Of Daycare Today | Robin Bennett
"So she emailed me to find out what she had done wrong. She needed to express her embarrassment with her dog, and wanted to cry on my shoulder (virtually) and find out what she should be doing to fix what she viewed as her dog’s problems.

She had a lovely dog, with no behavioral problems. The dog was friendly with people, well mannered in the house, walked nicely on leash and was absolutely adored by everyone in the family. But there was this one problem….her dog got kicked out of daycare today.

My advice to her? “Just don’t go to the daycare and don’t go to dog parks.” That’s it. No magic wand to fix a problem. No behavioral modification program to force her dog to tolerate the presence of large numbers of other dogs. No litany of tools and tricks she should use to get her dog to accept the environment of off-leash play. Just don’t go to the daycare or dog park. That’s it.

Far too often we try to force our pets into environments they may not like. And when we do, the dog suffers. I’ve seen shy dogs taken to crowded parades. The dog is not happy. I’ve seen sound sensitive dogs taken to fireworks displays. The dog is not happy. And I’ve seen dogs who don’t particularly enjoy the company of other dogs taken to dog parks and daycares. The dog is not happy.

Most of the times these situations occur because well-meaning dog owners are trying to do things they think would be fun for their dog. In the excitement of taking the dog someplace new, many owners fail to notice how their dog is responding to the new environment. I recommend looking to the dog for clues as to what makes them happy. Watch for loose, wiggly body language in your dog. If your dog is hiding, shaking, jumping up on you, or appears more nervous than when you are hanging out at home, he’s probably not happy."
Old 05-19-2016, 07:50 AM   #17 (permalink)

Mariah Loved agility, She loved performing in the ring once she got there, but the whole trial scene was very stressful for her all the people, people trying to pet her etc. There is no way she would fetch or play with toys i.e. tug like she would in other less stressful for her situations.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:24 AM   #18 (permalink)

ah ha!
Old 05-19-2016, 09:33 PM   #19 (permalink)

I like your post Mike T
I often ask my class what socializing means.
Always given the same answer
My dog can play with any dog and love all people
WRONG. This sounds like a party animal, without much etiquette.

Just a quick question regarding health. Have any of you experienced problems
Possibly joints or back. Do you take preventative measures?
Quirkydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 08:02 AM   #20 (permalink)

Bassets are prone to IVDD because of the genetics. They are dwarfs with disc that harden prematurely making them much more prone to rupture or "slipping" it has nothing to do with them Having "long backs" and everything for them to do with short legs. there are a number of breed that don't particularly look like dwarfs but have similar issues like mini poodles and beagle. The classic dwarf with back issue in the canine word is the dachshund with 25% suffering an injury in their life time. bassets are not that dramatic.

We have had 2 that have gone down but have gotten them back walking without surgery only using conservative therapy months of crate rest and steriods followed by physical therapy.

the Disk cartridge is not the only malformed cartilage of the breed, it all is. Which effects the growth plates as well. It is well recognised that the growth plates in dwarf breeds is more fragile than non-dwarfs. so with younger pups you want to avoid as much as practical without limiting exercise high impact activities. at least till the dog is six month of age and the growth plates begin to close and the dogs growth rate slows so a if damaged it has much less long term impact. a more conservative approach is to wait 12-18 month to be sure all the growth plates are closed before engaging in any high impact activity and such activity like any exercise should be ramped up slowly and consistently to let the body acclimate and remodel to protect itself . You will see much fighting on this forum about where the line should be drawn on limiting impacts and to that extent exercise as it relates to impact injuries. This is more about degrees rather than whether it should be done or note. There is no real studies on this so everyone if flying by their own seat of the pant and experiences, common sense. etc.

Exercise in Puppies-Are there rules? | The SkeptVet
"The research evidence, then, really does not provide anything like a definitive answer to questions about the effects of exercise in growing puppies. Common sense suggests that forcing a dog to exercise heavily when it does not wish to is not a good idea. Likewise, puppies sometimes have more enthusiasm than sense and can exercise to the point of heat exhaustion, blistered footpads, and other damage that may be less obvious. Therefore, a general principle of avoiding forced or voluntary extreme exercise is reasonable, but specific and absolute statements about what kind of exercise is allowed, what surfaces puppies should or should not exercise on, and so forth is merely opinion not supported by objective data. Such opinions may very well be informed by personal experience, and they may be reliable, but any opinion not founded on objective data must always be taken with a grain of salt and accepted provisionally until such data is available."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement