Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums

Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums (http://www.basset.net/boards/)
-   General Basset Hound Discussion (http://www.basset.net/boards/general-basset-hound-discussion/)
-   -   Pyometra (http://www.basset.net/boards/general-basset-hound-discussion/22762-pyometra.html)

Soundtrack 05-23-2013 05:04 PM

I would at least call them. Definitely she should not be bleeding.

Rosie-Jew 05-24-2013 01:32 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Rosie was spotting blood last night but because she was fine in herself and we had appointment this morning, the vet said not to worry and see them then. I've just awoke has to what can only be described as CSI Pencoed upstairs and downstairs. Few clots, one quite big. Phoned the vet, she asked how she was in herself- ok. What colour her gums are- light pink. We're on our way to emergency vet now. Look away if your squeamish
Attachment 10146
Attachment 10154


Sent from Petguide.com App

Lisa and joey 05-24-2013 01:44 AM

Ohhh baby girl. Please be ok. We're thinking of you this morning. Let us all know how you get on. Love lisa and joey xxx


Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Rosie-Jew 05-24-2013 09:46 AM

They've taken her in again. They're gonna do blood tests- which I told them to do the other day, but apparently these are different ones. Can I be anymore specific than "run every test, don't care about cost"?? They're gonna scan her again. They don't seem so worried about blood coming out, more if there's any going any other way in her.

2pm update:
Just spoken to vet. After we left she had another massive bleed. They've scanned her and found another blood clot in her abdomen. She is bleeding internally but they don't know where from. Their sending bloods off now but they won't be back until tomorrow. They're keeping her in overnight to monitor her. We can phone again at 5 for an update.

We are really upset at the moment. I really thought that they would say she had expelled what she needed to and give us antibiotics or anti-inflammatory or something and we could bring her home. Don't know what to do with ourselves for the next 24hours!!! Devastated is not the word xx


Sent from Petguide.com App

newton'sdad 05-24-2013 09:54 AM

Norman is sending healing drool and tryin to cross his short stubby little legs. Norman says enuff is enuff. this is not the correct way to get attention. Ya'll are in thoughts and prayers. Put some hydrogen peroxide on the bloody comforter. I learned that trick when I was an EMT. H.P. takes blood out of whites.

Soundtrack 05-24-2013 10:05 AM

Honestly, I've been disturbed from the start at the way this case has been handled and the seemingly laissez-faire attitude of the vet. If you're not seeing improvement really soon I think it might be worthwhile to get a second opinion.

I'm not a vet, but I've dealt with pyometra four times and this all just seems wrong and abnormal to me. I'm concerned that there may be problems from waiting so long to do the surgery, and the fact that they apparently did not give her prostaglandins (daily shot) along with the antibiotics to force her to expel the infected material.

Herzo 05-24-2013 10:15 AM

Oh my gddddddd yes I would be in a panic!!!! I agree with Sountrack they need to be taking this thing serious. I have never dealt with it so will just go with those who have.

Good luck to you and get better Roro.

Soundtrack 05-24-2013 10:39 AM

Pyometra (Canine) | Petside

Quote:

It is a serious disease requiring emergency surgery to remove the infected uterus (while medical treatment is sometimes attempted for this disease, it is often ineffective, and can be dangerous)
Quote:

The only dependable cure for pyometra is emergency surgery to remove the infected uterus (the ovaries are removed at the same time). Before performing surgery, the veterinarian will do a physical examination and x-rays or ultrasound to confirm an enlarged uterus, and blood tests. If the dog is not well enough to withstand anesthesia, IV fluids and medications will be administered until stable. After surgery, the dog will stay in the hospital on intravenous fluids, antibiotics, and pain medication, and will likely be discharged with antibiotics and pain medication for home administration.
Quote:

The majority of dogs with pyometra do well with prompt surgery. However, surgical delay can result in death from uterine rupture and systemic infection.

HarveyB 05-24-2013 12:59 PM

Have followed the thread and just want to say our thoughts are with you and Rosie! Harvey is sending healing drool kisses your way!
Not having any experience with anything similar myself I can't really tell but I agree with Soundtrack that the vet could be a bit more serious and not "just see how it goes". The same attitude led to a miss diagnosis with Harvey and we changed vets! Demand all tests and care possible! You are paying for the treatment so it's your call what hey should do or not.
Strength to your whole family and especially little Rosie! xxx

Rosie-Jew 05-24-2013 03:32 PM

Soundtrack, I do hear everything your saying but right now we're just focusing on getting our girl back home where she belongs with us. Hopefully, when this nightmare is over we can go back and ask the questions that should have perhaps been answered in the first place. We have had alternative vets recommended to us to which we will be looking in to.

I want to thank everyone for thinking of us as even a little thought boosts our spirits and gives us that extra bit of hope we need when perhaps sometimes we let the doubts creep in.

She has settled in the vets this evening and I'm told the bleeding has stopped. I think this may well be the longest night of my life - the house doesn't feel right without her. I'm not too sure how I'm supposed to sleep in a bed with no basset?? Are your legs always supposed to go to the bottom??

Thanks again guys xxxxxx


Sent from Petguide.com App


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:38 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2 ©2009, Crawlability, Inc.