Best way to curtail excessive barking? - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2013, 08:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Best way to curtail excessive barking?

My male hounds are 6 months and 3 months. They are outdoors most of the day and come in the house to sleep in their crates at night. I'm trying to find a way to quickly train them not to bark or whine loudly when they are outside of my patio screen door looking in at me while I do things in the kitchen. I understand they just want to be with me when I'm in the kitchen and the patio screen door is shut, but what can I do to get them to not bark at me? I thought of using a squirt bottle full of water, but they like water. Any ideas to quiet them when they are barking or whining excessively?
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2013, 09:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

Is there a reason you don't want them in the house with you? Basset hounds are "people" dogs and desperately need to be with their "family". Because of this, they don't make very good outside dogs.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:08 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney'spal View Post
Is there a reason you don't want them in the house with you? Basset hounds are "people" dogs and desperately need to be with their "family". Because of this, they don't make very good outside dogs.
My dogs are not outside dogs. They are inside/outside dogs, which I believe makes them much healthier and not "pampered pet" spoiled. They are outside most of the daylight hours, and inside at night. I don't want them inside my house 24 hours a day for many reasons, one being that they are not currently house broken/potty trained. Two being that I work 4 days a week, and can't afford the luxury of letting them take over my indoor living quarters to create havoc while I'm gone. When I finally get them house broken, they'll be inside much more. So...I guess you do not have an answer to my original question, which you answered with a question.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

But you can't housebreak them when they're outside.....
Chili-Ch Soundtrack Spice Up Your Life
Curry-Ch Soundtrack Canadian Brass
Pepper-Ch Pennieslogon Living La Vida Loca CGN
Vina-Ch Soundtrack Grand Illusion
Leila-Ch Soundtrack Almost Paradise
Deela-Ch Soundtrack Wink Of An Eye
Hermione - Soundtrack Spellbound
Eowyn - Soundtrack Rain Dance
Soundtrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:45 AM   #5 (permalink)

Well, [to state the obvious] in order to housetrain them, you'll need to have them inside with you when you're home. It sounds like they're either outside or in a crate when inside the house, making it difficult to housetrain.

I don't think you'll be able to stop them from crying/barking when you're in the kitchen and they're outside watching you. because they want to be with you. To my understanding, Bassets are indoor dogs for the most part, with a high level of needing to be where their people are. I know this is true of our Basset Maddie. She's definitely a lot happier when she's outside with us or inside in the same room or where she can see or hear us.

Maddie will be 6 years old next month, and she's spent most of her life indoors, by the way. She's perfectly healthy, has never damaged anything in the house when left inside alone, has never gotten in the trash, etc., and was housetrained in a short amount of time because she was in the house with me when I was home so I could train her. She was crated, too, for her first year, at night and when we were gone, something I recommend. She seldom barks also, so little in fact, my neighbors have commented on it.

Is Maddie spoiled? You would probably think so. Is Maddie a happy, well-behaved, affectionate dog with a gentle personality? Absolutely.

-San.
-SAN. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:30 AM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

"I'm trying to find a way to quickly train them not to bark or whine loudly when they are outside of my patio screen door looking in at me while I do things in the kitchen. I understand they just want to be with me when I'm in the kitchen and the patio screen door is shut, but what can I do to get them to not bark at me?"

they will quit barking and whining when they are inside. It is by far the fastest and quickest and easest solution.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:32 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey T View Post
"I'm trying to find a way to quickly train them not to bark or whine loudly when they are outside of my patio screen door looking in at me while I do things in the kitchen. I understand they just want to be with me when I'm in the kitchen and the patio screen door is shut, but what can I do to get them to not bark at me?"

they will quit barking and whining when they are inside. It is by far the fastest and quickest and easest solution.
yep
they wanna be with you...
Esther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:18 AM   #8 (permalink)

"Well, [to state the obvious] in order to housetrain them, you'll need to have them inside with you when you're home. It sounds like they're either outside or in a crate when inside the house, making it difficult to housetrain."

I would love to have them inside more with me, but they aren't house broken yet. When I have them inside with me, out of their crates during the day, I guess I'll just have to make sure they have access to the backyard (via open door or doggie door) in order to let them go potty outside. They don't pee in their crates, but now I need to step up the training to prevent them from doing this in the rest of house.

My intial question on curtailing excessive barking when they see me through a closed screen door, may have no solution other than letting them in.

Old 03-04-2013, 11:34 AM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
I would love to have them inside more with me, but they aren't house broken yet. When I have them inside with me, out of their crates during the day, I guess I'll just have to make sure they have access to the backyard (via open door or doggie door) in order to let them go potty outside.
Actually, you need to teach them what is expected - simply giving them access to the outside probably won't do it. They need to be supervised when they're loose in the house, interrupted and taken outside if they start to pee or poop, and taken out regularly (you go out with them) and rewarded when they do their business outside.
Chili-Ch Soundtrack Spice Up Your Life
Curry-Ch Soundtrack Canadian Brass
Pepper-Ch Pennieslogon Living La Vida Loca CGN
Vina-Ch Soundtrack Grand Illusion
Leila-Ch Soundtrack Almost Paradise
Deela-Ch Soundtrack Wink Of An Eye
Hermione - Soundtrack Spellbound
Eowyn - Soundtrack Rain Dance
Soundtrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:36 AM   #10 (permalink)

Oh please bring them in with you! Bassets, above almost every other breed NEED their owners and to shut them out would for me, be so sad. We put up a large area, away from the house, at one property we lived thinking it would be great for them to all run around in. Disaster! What did they do? They all sat by the gate waiting to come back in with us.

Fact is you'll just have to get down to housetraining them, so even if you are not home they can be left indoors (where they'll be far safer and less likely to be noisy, disturbing neighbours, or being stolen). My must recent boy was crated when we went out for short periods, to begin with but as soon as I was pretty sure he wasn't going to mess indoors any more, the crate was put away - even if he and his companion are still confined to the kitchen and don't have the full run of the house when we go out.

You may have some time yet before your 3 month old pup is fully house trained, but for sure, the 6 month one should be by now.

And yes, the only way, truly, to stop all this carrying on, is to have them in with you, or as we do, once the weather improves, leave a door to outside open, so they can come and go - much as with house training, you will have to actually take them out to empty, so you can control when the 'go' and when they need to empty.

Last edited by FranksMum; 03-05-2013 at 08:24 AM.
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement