Best way to curtail excessive barking? - Page 2 - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2013, 11:21 AM   #11 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

Quote:
leave a door to outsdide open, so they can come and go - much as with house training, you will have to actually take them out to empty, so you can control when the 'go' and when they need to empty.
there is a big difference between housetrained and reliable using a doogie door as Fanks Mom suggested. Dog trained to use a doogie door are not house trained there are many more skill required to be housetrained. That does not make a doggie door an inferior solution just different. The biggest probable with a doogie door trained dog is if you move to a location where a doggie door is impractical you need to staart house training from scratch.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2013, 12:38 PM   #12 (permalink)

Default Best way to curtail excessive barking?

Our boy is 6 months, I've never locked him outside. If he is outside he likes to know I'm around so I stay with him out in the garden.
He was no angel in the house when I was out, he did chew a little but now it doesn't interest him too much, I think it was a teething phase.

I also work 4 days a week. He gets left in the kitchen with all his toys, bed and food bowls etc. I have a friend who pops in at lunchtime to feed and walk him. When I return from work he has been good as gold.

I think maybe just let your hounds in the house when they are whining or barking.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Lisa and joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:18 PM   #13 (permalink)

I found housetraining Maddie exhausting! My time was definitely not my own when I was keeping my eyes on her, ready to take her outside to do her business as often as every 15 minutes or so when she was active.

At night, I got up every 2 hours to take her outside, and was all business about it, so that now she knows if I tell her, 'hurry' and 'go potty' when letting her out, [right before I go to bed, or before we're leaving the house] she goes out, pottys, then comes right back in. Fortunately, I didn't have to do this for very long.

I found it hard work, but man it is SO worth it when they're trained!

-San.
-SAN. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:26 PM   #14 (permalink)

Agree with the others, Bassets want to be with you, it's the nature of them. Once teething is over they don't cause much damage to the house as a rule. They usually flake out asleep somewhere but with one sleepy eye on their human making sure they are close by. Also agree you'll need to train them into being potty trained. We worked at it hard & our male Basset was totally housetrained in a couple of months. But it means taking them outside yourself ever 15 to 20 mins when awake & praising them when they get it right. But to stop the barking I think the only way will be to let the dogs be with you. They are an amazingly needy breed for company.
Basset Mummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:35 PM   #15 (permalink)

Thanks to all of you for your valuable info. I will put it to use now...
Old 03-04-2013, 02:06 PM   #16 (permalink)

Default Best way to curtail excessive barking?

As I write this Cooper is stretched out over my lap snoring. He's the most affectionate little bugger ever and always wants to be with us (but thankfully we can't bare to part with him anyway :P)

We've been doing a lot of work in our back garden (mainly to give cooper some lovely grass to lay on in the summer) so we can't have a puppy running around while my OH is swinging a sledge hammer, so Cooper is put in the house. A few weeks ago he would have cried his little heart out as though someone was murdering him if we so much as left him in a different room! However we signed up for puppy obedience classes with a fantastic dog trainer & I can't explain how amazing it was!! It means that when we go out the back to do more work in the garden we say to Cooper to go to bed & he does! It's a work in progress at times but for your problem I would definitely recommend some kind of class with your wonderful hounds to give you a bit more control & also have fun with them!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
CooperB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:36 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basset Mummy View Post
They usually flake out asleep somewhere but with one sleepy eye on their human making sure they are close by.

Also agree you'll need to train them into being potty trained. We worked at it hard & our male Basset was totally housetrained in a couple of months. But it means taking them outside yourself ever 15 to 20 mins when awake & praising them when they get it right. But to stop the barking I think the only way will be to let the dogs be with you. They are an amazingly needy breed for company.
lol, that first sentence is perfect description of Worm! also agree with these posters and also San/Maddie below too. if you do the housetraining well and diligent up front (it's a big investment of time and energy however), it's possible to be done with it and then u have nice housetrained pups that you can give more an more freedom to, and can watch less and less.

additional thoughts for you is that it sounds like both dogs need housetraining is that right? if that's correct, then i'd be super diligent about preventing accidents. if u can't keep an eye on both, then keep them in same room with you or on a leash with you. i think if one potties in the house, not only is it reinforcing for him and he is likely to go there again, but it also tempts the other one to potty there also. the double trubble with two puppies. for now, it also helps to put one or both in the crate whenever you can't keep a close eye.

also since the crate is working well for them, be careful not to leave them in there too long so that they end up pottying in there. Worm was in his crate overnight sleeping without accidents starting at 4 months. and in the daytime i was leaving him 4-6 hrs at a time, but didn't push it past that.
Advertisement