Addisons Disease? Anyone with any experience of this? - Page 2 - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2013, 08:39 AM   #11 (permalink)

I am glad you are up for the challenge, Sarah. When my vet called to tell me it was Addison's, I could hear the hesitation in her voice as she explained that it was an expensive disease to control and it will last Molly's lifetime. My husband and I were up for it too, no matter what the cost is. We always say that we are glad we picked Molly from the litter because some people might not be able to handle this and would surrender her. Molly is the light of my life and she will always have the care she needs, even if I have to go back to selling coffee and donuts like I did in high school HA! I am glad Speckles ended up with you

One thing I did for Molly was I had a tag made for her collar that indicated that she was a special needs dog with Addison's. I put my number and her vet's name and number on it. If she gets lost, anyone who finds her needs to know she is Addisonian. This is on her collar in addition to her name tag, rabies tag, and dog license. Someone here on the forum mentioned it...maybe Wworm. It was a great idea.

There is a website out there dedicated to Addison's dogs with lots of good information. Be wary though, as some of the people are over the top and alarmist. Take their advice and if it doesn't quite jive with your gut feelings, run it by your vet. For example, the users on the site recommended against flea and tick treatment. I asked my vet, who said it's absolutely fine to use it. Stuff like that.

As you get a handle on Addison's, your vet will be your best friend. I'd go in once a month for Molly's bloodwork and shot with a TON of questions. I actually brought a list each time. It's how you learn. And don't hesitate to take Speckles in for a quick electrolyte test if you think her Addison's is flaring up. I did that a couple of times and the peace of mind is worth the money.

As always, let me know if you have any questions. Take care!

Molly McFreckles' World:
The adventures of a Basset Hound living with Addison's Disease and a baby brother named Winston
MollyMcFrecklesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2013, 12:48 PM   #12 (permalink)

Thanks Michelle, the tag is a good idea. I'll get one made up for her. Yes we think the same as you regarding our animals, we would never consider giving them up because of health problems anymore than I would my daughter!! I was quite surprised when typing in Canine Addisons Disease to see a lot of dogs with this condition are given up for rehoming. Very sad! Like you say, I feel maybe it's fate she came to us as we've got the time and can find the money to deal with this. I'm at home full time to keep an eye on her and feel strongly that she's entitled to the best life possible, luckily my husband feels the same.

To be honest, this is easier to deal with than Harry's cancerous Sarcoma when he was a puppy as although they got it and he's fine, for the first 6 months to a year we had to keep a very close eye on him for lumps and bumps and if something had appeared it wouldn't have been very hopeful for him. That was like a black cloud hanging over us. The vet also said the internet can be a bit sensational with information on this condition so I'll take advice from her as she knows my dog and to what degree of problems it causes her. Pedigree dogs hey!! Always something, but having grown up with Basset Hounds there was and will be no other choice for me!!

Thanks Again Sarah X
Basset Mummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:26 PM   #13 (permalink)

Got Speckles home last Thursday. She's on her meds and thankfully has returned to normal. Eating, drinking and generally bossing our male basset around. First appointment with the vet tomorrow and then next Monday they will take bloods. Big relief to have her back to herself. The improvement was amazingly quick. Here's a photo of her today enjoying a small walk.
Attached Thumbnails
Addisons Disease? Anyone with any experience of this?-mrs-speckles.jpg  
Basset Mummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:07 PM   #14 (permalink)

What a pretty girl! She has such beautiful eyes.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:59 AM   #15 (permalink)

So glad she is doing better. She is the cutest girl it is so sad they have to have these kinds of things happen.
Herzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:20 PM   #16 (permalink)

So good to hear, Sarah!! I just logged on specifically to see how she was doing. I was going to private message you.

She's going to thrive, just like my Molly. I have all the confidence in the world!!

Molly McFreckles' World:
The adventures of a Basset Hound living with Addison's Disease and a baby brother named Winston
MollyMcFrecklesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement