Again about housbreaking - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2013, 09:58 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Again about housbreaking

Hi all!
I just had a quick question and I hope this hasn't been asked a million times. So Harvey is doing really well with the not peeing in the house thing except when we aren't home. When we're here he will hold and even ask to go out but if we leave the house (sometimes even for less than an hour) and even though he has just been taken out before we go he still pees inside. Lately he has had a couple of accident free alone times but that's really an exception. Is this just a waiting game or is there something I could do to guide him in this better..?
With the mess he used to make by tearing things up or chewing things he wasn't allowed to our breeder said that though we can't tell him off for things that he did while we were gone we can instead reward him if he has "guarded" the house well. Meaning that when we come home we check the place out and if there is no mess he gets lots of praise and a treat. This has actually worked pretty well (given we don't leave something too tempting in his reach) so could this be put to use with the peeing as well?
Thanks for your thoughts!

P.S. And sorry for the typo in the title!
HarveyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2013, 10:23 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Havey, your one exceptional bright boy.
My thoughts are that if you come in & reward Harvey for not messing in the house when you've been out, he'll love you for the treat but have no comprehension that it's because he hasn't toileted. Sorry it's my 'dry' humour , but do you think he knows what you're praising him for? Unless you catch him in the act of doing something & say No, distract him by offering something acceptable to chew or immediately take him outside he won't have a clue what you're about.
Vectisvagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:48 AM   #3 (permalink)

Yeah in all honesty I was very skeptical about this method too at first cause I was thinking the same.. If we don't catch him in the act he won't understand what's going on. But the breeder said that this was one way to try to help the problem with the mess (not peeing but tearing up stuff etc.) he did when we're not home so obviously not able to catch him in the act and I actually do think he gets it because when he has made a mess in the house he doesn't even come for the cuddle and treat.. Probably just my body language telling him he ain't getting one but in any case he has stopped raking havoc on the apartment when we're away so..
But would you have any advice on how to break the peeing habit?
Old 02-24-2013, 11:20 AM   #4 (permalink)

I've retrained 3 adult dogs. It has helped to tremendously to crate them while we're gone, or restrict them to a small area. Then, as soon as we get home, take them out. Easy to catch them being good, then.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

The problem with crating for us is that Harvey howls bloody murder if we try to leave him in a crate (we don't even have one that would fit him now because we gave up when he didn't need to sleep in one anymore) and since we live in an apartment building letting him howl or bark is definitely not an option. Especially with our neighbors..
Old 02-24-2013, 12:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarveyB View Post
But would you have any advice on how to break the peeing habit?
How old is Harvey, he's still a pup, forgive me for saying this but some people have an incredible expectation of their pups & house training. Harvey's doing OK. Remember some can take a year - yes we all hope it won't be one of ours - just remain calm & consistant. When you go out contain him to one room, the kitchen normally has a floor that easier to clean, keep everything out of his reach, you can hardly blame him for chewing if there's alot on offer! I'm not a fan of crates for house training, but that's just me, if they are used correctly no problem but some pups get shut in for far too long & of course if you need to go, you go even if it's your bedding. A crate should be somewhere they feel safe & is theirs, not to be shut in when owners have had enough. Just continue to take him out on leed, use a phrase, such as 'be busy', praise him make a fuss he''ll get there. Pup's are to cherish, they are so so cute & you'll look back & think it was a time that past too quickly.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:00 PM   #7 (permalink)

Oh yeah Harvey is one already so no crazy expectations here. I just sometimes feel that he might do it because he doesn't like to be left alone so he kinda protests by peeing. Because sometimes I can be gone for 20min and he has done a little puddle where as he can hold for a reasonable time now when were home. I don't think it's separation anxiety because he doesn't have any other "symptoms" of it.. Or maybe I just don't know what to look for..? When we are at the house all day there are no accidents anymore it's just when we leave.
I'm sorry if I seem negative to suggestions but we live in an apartment so locking him in some room isn't ideal. Well he is sort of confined because we close the bathroom and bedroom doors so he only has use of the living room and the kitchen but we don't have anymore doors and I would feel bad if he couldn't do things when I'm at school or work.
And just to add our kitchen is about 2 square meters so I couldn't confine a mouse in there let alone Harvey!

Last edited by HarveyB; 02-24-2013 at 01:10 PM.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Pups even dogs settle better if there is less space to roam especialy if they are anxious, so get a crate, don't bother with a small one get one that he can use as an adult. Feed him in there to start with, leave the gate open, put his bedding & some toys in there, when he's OK with it, close the gate but don't lock it & build up the time. Don't often use ours but both are used to them, if it's left up can be sure to find one of them in there of their own choice. It is a good idea to get them used to them, great for traveling, going away, nights away & God forbid should he ever need to be kept quiet if poorly. Good luck. Bye the way seperation anxiety doesn't always mean a dog will howl, they can equally be stressed & quiet.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:24 PM   #9 (permalink)

Though I'm not sure if the crate is an option for us for reasons that I mentioned earlier (howling+not understanding neighbors=disaster) I would like to know what is a proper sized crate for an adult basset? and are we really talking about the same ones we would use for transportation? Cause that seems awfully small to keep a dog in for several hours (I read on another thread here that about 6h is the max??)... Just curious!
Harvey always always hated the crate. He would sleep in it as a pup for potty training purposes but he would howl/bark/try tear it up when we put him there during the day and in the evenings we had to scratch him to sleep or he would whine until he drove my boyfriend and me and our former roommate insane.. So if other options exist I'd be glad to avoid the crate! Our apartment isn't that big (about 47 square meters in total) so with just the living room and kitchen he actually doesn't have a big area for himself during the day! Inside spaces in Paris are tiny but expensive and we're both still students!
Old 02-24-2013, 09:38 PM   #10 (permalink)

I'm thinking a Basset living in an apartment isn't a very good idea.

My only advice is don't give up; I'm one who can't recommend crate training enough, but it sounds like that isn't an option for several reasons for your situation.

-San.
-SAN. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement