Tracking the K*tty - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2013, 09:36 AM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Tracking the K*tty

oh boy... ok this is a human having commandeered (sp?) the keyboard.
we got troubles here.

We have an ELDERLY kitty cat. She will be 18 next month. She has high blood pressure and renal failure. She's still pretty spry but is on treatments for both and has lost a good bit of weight and is now just under six lbs.

Esther is often the instigator when she gives chase (we wonder, is the weight loss of the cat a contributing factor? her ribs are more noticeable and looks a bit more bunny-esque than she used to because of the way the ribcage bows outward, if you will, moreso than it used to, if you get my meaning)
So E will start it, chasing her and woofing at her but becomes more passive when Charlie Brown kicks into hunt mode. The real problem is that CB "locks in" and won't let her go. He will get her cornered and barking right in her face. It's even been observed that he's snapping at her, like he's trying to "catch" her, to the point of making us very uncomfortable with it. We try and separate them as quickly as possible, but are worried that we may not be fast enough someday. Thus far he's not made contact with her, but what if he does? Even if he doesn't, heck she could stroke out any minute.
Anyone faced this issue? They are crated during the day so that's not a problem... Save, keeping them completely separated, what should we do? I know I cannot break a hound from its instinct to track and hunt, nor do I wish to. It's just worrisome how focused charlie gets and is just relentless when she's cornered.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Esther is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2013, 09:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Honestly, I would do the "keep them completely separated" thing. Or at the very least make it easy for the cat to get away from the dogs. Perhaps baby gates to give the cat a dog-free area of the house? A few people I know have a gate across the stairs, the cat stays upstairs, the dog stays down.
Chili-Ch Soundtrack Spice Up Your Life
Curry-Ch Soundtrack Canadian Brass
Pepper-Ch Pennieslogon Living La Vida Loca CGN
Vina-Ch Soundtrack Grand Illusion
Leila-Ch Soundtrack Almost Paradise
Deela-Ch Soundtrack Wink Of An Eye
Hermione - Soundtrack Spellbound
Eowyn - Soundtrack Rain Dance
Soundtrack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:50 AM   #3 (permalink)

Have one that limits their access to the laundry room where her box is etc
It's one of those with the tiny little door in the bottom she can scoot thru but they cannot. Problem is she likes to roam the whole house.
It's weird b/c its not always a problem. Sometimes we're all on the couch together and the cat is on the arm of the couch. no problem they just look at her.
Just every couple days they hit that hunt mode and it's off to the races.
Sometimes ends up with a bloody nose/ear from cat claws
But CB is just so intense. It's like it takes an act of congress for him to break focus.
Honestly he'd probably be an awesome hunter for that reason, but I worry about Ozzie (the cat)
Old 02-21-2013, 12:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

Esther I have same problem and reggies only young ! Indie (cat) was here before reg so I did feel sorry for her until.... I noticed she was teasing him , she waits around corners for him n jumps out or runs past him n paws him !! He pounces around her sometimes pinning her to floor until she's screeching and I'm scared one is going get terribly hurt. Iv tried everything ,I even kept him on a lead around her to see if it worked but she kept running upto him n teasing so I have up !! I put a safety gate up so she can get away and just try manage it as best I can x
Not helped u atall lol but I can see your problem lol n hope it gets better for ou
DonnaGoodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:44 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaGoodwin View Post
Esther I have same problem and reggies only young ! Indie (cat) was here before reg so I did feel sorry for her until.... I noticed she was teasing him , she waits around corners for him n jumps out or runs past him n paws him !! He pounces around her sometimes pinning her to floor until she's screeching and I'm scared one is going get terribly hurt. Iv tried everything ,I even kept him on a lead around her to see if it worked but she kept running upto him n teasing so I have up !! I put a safety gate up so she can get away and just try manage it as best I can x
Not helped u atall lol but I can see your problem lol n hope it gets better for ou
thanks DG
I hope it gets better for you too.
Mostly she can fend for herself (These are dogs #4 and #5 in her lifetime... she's used to holding her own)
It's just her age and her maladies that worry us.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

Were they raised together? I had my beloved cat for 20 years and she "raised" my German Shepherd. They were the best of friends. When Madison (dog) passed away, it was only days later that Gitty (cat) had a severe stroke and I had to have her put down. I've always thought it was because Madison was no longer there and it was just too much trauma for her. I wish you the best.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

Quote:
It's even been observed that he's snapping at her, like he's trying to "catch" her, to the point of making us very uncomfortable with it.
snaping vary rarely leads to biting from your description he is trying to get the cat to run again so he can chase. You do have to take the cats reaction to this in acount and there are no partial solution you are not going to retrain CB not to chase not this hard wired instinct, so you either have to live with it or seperate them You do have the option of only separating when you are not there to supervise.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:30 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey T View Post
snaping vary rarely leads to biting from your description he is trying to get the cat to run again so he can chase. You do have to take the cats reaction to this in acount and there are no partial solution you are not going to retrain CB not to chase not this hard wired instinct, so you either have to live with it or seperate them You do have the option of only separating when you are not there to supervise.
I presumed as much about the hardwired instinct. He's our fourth basset and never have we had one that was so INTENSE about chasing. Austin and Lulu couldn't have given half a crap about her! They all left each other alone. CB's a hunter... that's for darn sure.
Maybe we should find a field trial near US!!! ???
Old 02-21-2013, 04:40 PM   #9 (permalink)

okay here's a wrinkle...
i read somewhere that cats in renal failure give off a peculiar odor?

Could that contribute to their newfound, albeit occasional, obsession with her?
Old 02-21-2013, 05:19 PM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

Quote:
Could that contribute to their newfound, albeit occasional, obsession with her?
who Knows but it really does not matter the cause

AHBA trials in Missouri and Southern Indiana AHBA hunt Schedule

BHCA (AKC) Closest is Ohio require AKC registration the National are in St Louis and there is a field trial 10-5 & 10-6
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement