Anyone use "Joint Strong"?? - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2013, 12:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Anyone use "Joint Strong"??

Another forum I read has really talked about this product and how much it has helped their dogs with arthritis, etc. Bogie is on Gabapentin daily for his disk issues, and he is now developing arthritis in his elbow and right front leg often limping or holding it up. This area suffered severe bite trauma when he was attacked by the Pit Bulls in 2008. Bogie will be 8 in April. I was wondering if anyone had used this product or knows anything about it. Thanks!!
Animal Naturals "Joint Strong" Joint Supplement for Dogs
Helps build an anti-inflammatory foundation, and provides the functional nutrients essential for building toward real joint progress
  • Sugar free, human grade, and zero trans fats
  • Strengthens joints and soft tissues
  • Shifts metabolism toward greater cartilage buildup than breakdown
  • Creates a biochemical environment favoring cartilage formation better able to keep pace with growth
BubbaLeroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2013, 10:05 PM   #2 (permalink)

Sorry, I haven't.
Rosiemylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

No, I haven't. When Sophie developed Arthritis she started off taking ___dryl (name escapes me at the moment) but it was a chewable "puppy aspirin". That helped for awhile, but after it got worse (she also had a cancerous tumor - inoperable) in her hind quarter and we put her on Anequan (sp?) shots. Start off with a couple a week, then wean down to about once every 6 weeks. It did wonders for her. She lived problably 5 more years and really improved her quality of life. At one point she couldn't do steps, after getting on the shots she was faster on the steps than me!

You ought to ask your vet about it. I am real leery of "natural miracle" cures. I think many of they prey on our love for our babies and are willing to try anything to help.

Sophie (ATB (1996-2010)
Abby (ATB 2010 - 2012)
Jake (2001 - )
Ellie (2012 - )
Jnfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:41 AM   #4 (permalink)

Awww, sorry to hear about Bogies attack
what is in Joint Strong and what are the ingredients that are supposed to help?

we did see an Ortho vet to consult for Agility and asked him 101 ??s, fortunately he was very patient! we were asking about preventatives for arthritis/joints, since the jumping and obstacles in agility can be hard on their bodies. from what we understand, our Dr. was telling us that it was fine to take the Hip/Joint supplements we take now. there is some evidence for some of these ingredients helping in prevention, also some conflicting evidence tho the worst case is that they might have no effect, and little harm, so it weighs out for us to take them.

they are made by GNC and the vitamin contains: glucosamine, chondroitin, MSM, zinc, and vit C. lol, maybe at the very least the last 2 ingredients will help him with doggie colds? so these are more of the preventative things for arthritis.

then the Dr. said that if he does develop arthritis, there is evidence to show that omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil) can help with the pain.

so that was our plan: the hip/joint supplement for now, adding on fish oil if I do develop arthritis.

--Worm
Old 02-19-2013, 02:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

Wworm - here are the ingredients in Joint Strong.

Animal Naturals Joint Strong Joint Supplement for Dogs

Guaranteed Analysis:

Crude Protein Minimum 16% Crude Fat Minimum 37% Crude Fiber Maximum 5% Moisture Maximum 7% Carbohydrate 35%

Per Serving:

Glucosamine Hydrochloride 1,150 mg Chondroitin Sulfate 600 mg MSM (Methyl Sulfonyl Methane) 10 mg CMO (Cetyl Myristoleate) 75 mg Hydrolyzed Chicken cartilage 155 mg Hyaluronic Acid 800 mcg

JOINT STRONG Human Grade Ingredients:

Cooked chicken, Stabilized rice bran, JOINT SUPPORT FACTORS Glucosamine hydrochloride (1,150 mg), Chondroitin sulfate, TMG (Trimethylglycine), MSM (Methyl Sulfonyl Methane), CMO (Cetyl Myristoleate), Chicken collagen type II, Hyaluronic Acid (N-acetyl glucosamine, D-glucuronic acid), OMEGADOGTM (Cold Pressed Camelina oil, Vitamin E) K9 ORAC-POWER™ (Vitamin C, High ORAC anti-inflammatory extracts from Wild Blueberry, Cranberry, Raspberry, Strawberry, Prune, Tart Cherry, Bilberry, Decaffeinated green tea extract, Pomegranate fruit extract, Curcumin, Acetyl-Cysteine), Pyridoxine HCL, Thiamin HCL, Vitamin D3, Folate, Manganese, Cyanocobalamin, Biotin, Natural flavorings.

For Dogs 0-45 lbs 1 scoop
For Dogs 46-100 lbs 1-2 scoops
For Dogs over 100 lbs. 2 scoops
BubbaLeroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

Kewl! well quick comparison of Joint Strong ingredients and the hip/joint tablet metakes shows that 4 of the 5 ingredients I take are in yours: glucosamine, MSM, chondroitin, vit c. there doesn't appear to be zinc in yours, which is prob fine. And Joint Strong has a lot of ingredients in it that aren't in mine, includning hyaluronic acid, etc.

so... if it were me, mewouldtakes it! don't see anything wrong with it. it could possibly be beneficial for arthritis and little downside methinks. but if ur unsure of the latter can always ask ur vet about it.

now since it sounds like Bogie already has arthritis, we would also be adding omega-3 fatty acids, as it has been shown to reduce joint pain, per our Ortho Vet. if ur not sure, u can also check w/your vet about this and see what they say...

our 2 cents...

Worm
Old 02-20-2013, 10:12 AM   #7 (permalink)

I have never heard of it but I would sure give it a go. If after a while you don't think it's working you don't have to reorder.

And remember if your fish oil doesn't have vit E in it you will have to supplement with it. Good luck and let us know how he does.
Herzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement