the evils of prednisone - Page 2 - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2013, 12:58 PM   #11 (permalink)

Molly was on prednisone last summer when she hurt her neck, and it had the same effect on her. I actually had to get up at 2 am to take her outside to pee, she was drinking and peeing so much. In her case, the vet said it would be OK to give her a little extra food, since she was nice and slim.
Wioleta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2013, 03:10 AM   #12 (permalink)

My Molly went on Pred at 10 mos when she was diagnosed with Addison's Disease. Once we got her regulated, I was able to wean her off of it. This was maybe 5 or 6 months ago. Molly had just turned 2 when she came off the Pred. She still needs it for highly stressful situations, though.

It messed with her system. She gained a LOT of weight and it's a struggle as I try to help her lose it. The vet said that being on it so long and starting at such an early age messed with her. As soon as she was off it, she had NO appetite. It was a struggle to get her to eat on a regular basis. I was going crazy trying to find a way to make her eat - cooking eggs or chicken and mixing it into kibble, adding wet dog food, etc. Finally in the past few weeks she's eating regularly (knock wood).

The constant peeing was a nightmare. Imagine trying to housebreak a puppy who goes on Pred. It took a LONG time to get her potty trained and she still had many accidents once she was. Not her fault, the poor thing. It would sneak up on her. Now that she is off it, her habits are so much better.

My point is, the stuff is a necessary evil. I hope she never needs to go on it again long-term. She has allergies, so we are changing her food to control them. Hopefully it does the trick, as the vet is very hesitant to put her on pred for them. Yuck!

Molly McFreckles' World:
The adventures of a Basset Hound living with Addison's Disease and a baby brother named Winston
MollyMcFrecklesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:57 PM   #13 (permalink)

So Noba had his follow up yesterday and after talking to vet about the prednisone, I decided to go ahead and keep him on it for the remainder of the 10 days. We are now into the 1 pill every other day, and only four pills left so I think the benefits will outweigh the extreme hunger. He is driving me crazy though, so I know he is feeling better, because he is driving me crazy to play... been doing slow short walks and he seems to be doing really well, not wobbly on his legs and seems to have no pain!!!

Loving a basset hound takes great patience, but is the most rewarding experience in the world!!
Noba's_Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:30 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wworm View Post
oh i believe it! happens to people too. not surprised he is voraciously hungry. but have to be careful because the increase in appetite in addition to prednisone itself makes it very easy for wt gain. keep an eye on that boy and what he tries to eat!
yeah
he hoomin was on it for a bulging disc once and was an eating fiend as well as a little crazy... me no like
Esther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:40 PM   #15 (permalink)

I'm glad he's doing better! Hang in there...only 4 doses left.

-San.
-SAN. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:51 PM   #16 (permalink)

How long after the last dose will it take to get out of his system? I mean, I don't mind the side effects, I just wanna make sure his extreme appetite isn't gonna plummet into not wanting to eat at all.

Loving a basset hound takes great patience, but is the most rewarding experience in the world!!
Noba's_Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:03 PM   #17 (permalink)

I would think that the eating issues (not wanting to eat) I encountered with Molly were due to long-term use (over a year). My cat was on pred for a short time and when she came off, it just leveled out to normal eating

Molly McFreckles' World:
The adventures of a Basset Hound living with Addison's Disease and a baby brother named Winston
MollyMcFrecklesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:30 AM   #18 (permalink)

I think it will start to level out like MollyMc say's Turtle was on it for a short time and I don't remember it lasting.
Herzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement