A Happy "Tail" for Ginger the Basset Hound - Page 2 - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2013, 12:28 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herzo View Post
It made me cry. She's such a cute thing. I just love old dogs. Not nearly as dramatic but a little like our story with Maddie. We just didn't have her when she was a puppy or that long.
Awww, so glad her found her it is a good story.

Herzo, what's the story with Ms. Maddie?

--Worm
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2013, 11:41 AM   #12 (permalink)

Well let's see it would have been about 11 or so years ago I was working at the shelter and 2 hounds one Maddie and one a Walker hound were brought down from the Mountains. They had been hunting dogs that had gotten away and someone brought them in.

I just happen to be there on my day when the gal came to pick them up. She asked me if we would take Maddie as she was to small to make a good lion dog and that is what her BF or hubby wanted.

So I called the powers that be and she said take her in. Well part of that is because I told her I would foster her. Maddie was around 1 1/2 years old at the time and I had Abigail and Sidney. I think we had her for 2 or 3 weeks and she got into a big fight with Abigail that I had to separate them from.

I decided I couldn't keep her because I was way to protective of my girls at the time so I found her what I thought was a good home. The family had a little girl and Maddie really liked her. the guy worked for a lumber company and took her with him when he drove the truck.

Then he went to work in the methane fields and she was send out to the yard. I knew where they lived and I would go by there and see her in the yard all by herself. I even sent AC to check on her but of course she had food and water. I was not a happy camper.

Well then 9 years later I'm still at the shelter and I hear we are getting an old hound in, the guys mother had been trying to take care of her as they said they didn't have time for her and while she is taking care of her OH WELL guess what........ they got a new puppy %$#@&%. That's what I think of them.

So Monday morning I come in on my day and the gal at the shelter say's and we have Maddie in (I had seen pictures of her as the woman had sent some) so I said did she come in with that name, yes. I said that's my Maddie and I went back and it was her.

Well goodness we had 3 dogs and I just knew dear hubby would never let me have another so she was at the shelter for at least a month. I kept saying things to him like I can't stand Maddie being in that shelter but nuthin.

So one Sunday I just said I'm going and getting Maddie and that was it she's here and she's stayin that's that. We laugh about it sometimes because he wouldn't have it any other way we love our old girl. It just took her a long time to get here.

Oh and she's still a fighter but my dogs now are not as spoiled as my girls. They are a tougher bunch.
Herzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:52 AM   #13 (permalink)

needed a tissue alert!
Esther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:01 PM   #14 (permalink)

she totally reminded me of Lulu
maybe it's the gray face?
dunno
Esther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:55 PM   #15 (permalink)

Shame on the ex-wife for not offering Ginger back to ex before giving her to a shelter. The "Kids" always suffer in a divorce. I'm so glad they are reunited.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:21 PM   #16 (permalink)

We're very glad you got reunited with Ms. Maddie
that is a happy ending and so good of you to take her in.

oh and btw, i just saw the story on yahoo-- it's a video so u can see Ginger in action

Man reunited with dog after 10 years apart | The Sideshow - Yahoo! News
Old 02-20-2013, 11:35 PM   #17 (permalink)

Default A Happy "Tail" for Ginger the Basset Hound

I heard about this story today and I am so glad you posted this! What a touching story. She is such a beautiful senior. It breaks my heart to think of our sweet hounds and their long, tough and lonely journey until they finally reached us. I know that I needed my boy as much as he needed me. I am so happy for Ginger and I hope she is curled up in a nice warm bed tonight.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
mydawgz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:01 AM   #18 (permalink)

Great story
CRM112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:32 PM   #19 (permalink)
Raz

Here's the video of the story.
Happy day!

Man Reunited With Dog 10 Years Later | Video - ABC News
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:18 PM   #20 (permalink)

Aww, love that video!
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement