Unprovoked aggression - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2013, 03:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Unprovoked aggression

Today when I was getting around for work, I let Arthur back in from going to the bathroom out back and he just went nuts! He barked, growled, showed his teeth, and generally had an unpleasant attitude. Once he got close and I was thinking he was going to lunge at me! I'm used to having to put my shoes on in a room he's not in due to aggression, but what is up? Could it be that instead of my husband taking our son to school and then coming back, he instead left in the early a.m. to go out-of-state and it was me getting our child around for school? Arthur even went to his "corner", which is a spot by two walls between the breakfast bar and the buffet in our dining room, before he eventually came out, rolled over to expose his belly, and then was back to his jolly self. I'm so confused as to why he did this!
ArthurMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2013, 04:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Dogs are not aggressive for "no reason". Either the aggression was provoked (from the dog's point of view) but you didn't realize it, or he is not really being aggressive, or there is something seriously wrong with him mentally or physically. It's not possible to determine this over the internet. You need to talk to a professional who can observe the dog and the situation in person, preferably a veterinary behaviorist.
Chili-Ch Soundtrack Spice Up Your Life
Curry-Ch Soundtrack Canadian Brass
Pepper-Ch Pennieslogon Living La Vida Loca CGN
Vina-Ch Soundtrack Grand Illusion
Leila-Ch Soundtrack Almost Paradise
Deela-Ch Soundtrack Wink Of An Eye
Hermione - Soundtrack Spellbound
Eowyn - Soundtrack Rain Dance
Soundtrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

[QUOTE=ArthurMom; I'm used to having to put my shoes on in a room he's not in due to aggression, [/QUOTE]

Not sure if I'm reading this right, but are you saying you have to put your shoes on when he's not around due to him getting aggresive? Has he always done this?
Vectisvagrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

Yes, I put my shoes on in a different room because he gets aggressive. I'm not sure why he does that and it seems like workday mornings are the worst and it's only with me. I'm just not willing to fight on some things because I honestly don't know how.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Has he always reacted like this since you've had him, is it only you, what about others, It seems very unusual that it just happens about/around your shoes, has there been something in the past that has upset, frightened him involving you or shoes. You say 'I'm just not willing to fight on some things because I honestly don't know how'? Sorry but what do you mean by fight; shouting, physically moving him?
Vectisvagrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

I too have an issue in the morning putting on the shoes, but I would not classify it as aggression, more of a Fetish (shoe laces, hoodie laces, sweat pant laces... any laces). Are you sure it is aggression rather than active play? Ellie can be a pain in the butt, and has spilled many cups of coffee in her quest for morning laces.

Oh, she also likes to "help" with putting on underpants and pulling on socks. Morning are not dull.

Sophie (ATB (1996-2010)
Abby (ATB 2010 - 2012)
Jake (2001 - )
Ellie (2012 - )
Jnfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:44 AM   #7 (permalink)

Vectisvagrant, by fighting I definitely don't mean pushing or shouting. More like...picking my battles. Is it worth telling him "No!" in a stern voice or to just move to another room? I choose the other room because at 7:30ish in the morning, I don't have time to worry about him being aggressive.

Jnfr, I'm pretty sure this isn't aggressive play. He'll be fine, laying there on a bed or on the floor or the couch watching as I get around for the day. But when it comes to putting on my socks and shoes? He goes nuts! He begins by growling and then starts barking. If I continue putting them on, he then will move closer to me, his growling more aggressive sounding, and it looks like he's one step away from coming up and biting me.

I keep wondering if this dog is just mad in the mornings because he's bored at home or...I don't know. I've thought about putting him in our local doggy daycare once a week for half a day to help get him out of the house some and socialize more (he socializes fine). Then, I've also thought having a companion for him might would work too. I'm just not sure how to handle this.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:51 AM   #8 (permalink)

Default Unprovoked aggression

Oh. Joey has a bit of a thing with shoes and coats too. He goes crazy but in a playful way. He knows certain shoes mean different things. Walking boots and big pink coat means walk so he goes to het his lead and collar. But he knows any other shoes means I'm going out or to work he tries to pull my shoes off my feet to stop me from going.
Lately he has been running upstairs protesting against me going out.....I will upload a picture from today lol very cute.Unprovoked aggression-imageuploadedbypg-free1360939886.142344.jpg

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Lisa and joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:53 AM   #9 (permalink)

This sounds strange to me I also think it is more of a play or excitement to go somewhere. Maybe he needs to out and get more exercise.

It may be he knows your leaving. If I try getting my shoes on I have all four dogs around me pushing into me and sometimes Richter will flea bite me.
Herzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:55 AM   #10 (permalink)

Your puppy is so cute!!
Jun Yuki Bratwurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement