Unprovoked aggression - Page 3 - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2013, 06:30 PM   #21 (permalink)

It's mostly mornings, but I've seen it at other times. For example, I'll put my shoes on in the morning while sitting on the edge of the bed while he's laying on the bed. His head stays down while I get dressed, but shoe time? That's the moment he lifts his head and begins to growl, bark, and snarl. If we can't get to the bottom of this, a behaviorist might just be our answer

Funny thing is, he associates my husbad getting around and his shoes on as signs of a possible walk
ArthurMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2013, 03:43 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnfr View Post
I too have an issue in the morning putting on the shoes, but I would not classify it as aggression, more of a Fetish (shoe laces, hoodie laces, sweat pant laces... any laces). Are you sure it is aggression rather than active play? Ellie can be a pain in the butt, and has spilled many cups of coffee in her quest for morning laces.

Oh, she also likes to "help" with putting on underpants and pulling on socks. Morning are not dull.
I can't put socks or shoes on around my jerk, he likes to steal them out of my hounds and run off with them. No aggression though.
Shortstack1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:23 AM   #23 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

Quote:
fear based to me, too
in the norning are you putting on heels? if yes conduct an experiment and try with flats or sneekers first and see if it illiicts the same response.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:25 PM   #24 (permalink)

No, I wear sneakers all day ever day, so it's always the same shoes unless for some reason I wear my Crocs outside the house.

I didn't chance dealing with an angry Basset this morning. When I saw that he was on my son's bed resting (as is usual for him in the mornings), I shut my bedroom door so I could get my shoes on in peace!
Old 02-18-2013, 12:57 PM   #25 (permalink)

I would put my shoes on with the bedroom door shut, if it were me, avoiding the response altogether.

Does it matter where you put your shoes on to him? For example, if you put them on by the front door just before leaving, would that make a difference? Have you tried putting them on several times a day when you're staying home, and not going out? Could it be he gets upset because he associates putting on the shoes with you leaving?

-San.
-SAN. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:33 PM   #26 (permalink)

I'm thinking it's the latter of your suggestions. However, my husband is usually around the rest of the morning until early afternoon (except for about 10 minutes or so of taking our son to school), so he's not left alone for long periods very often.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:48 PM   #27 (permalink)

I don't recall if anyone asked his age,if he is a rescue or did you get him as a puppy?
bubbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:37 AM   #28 (permalink)

Arthur is 4, almost 5, and we adopted him in June from a foster home that rescued him. Luckily, I was able to get in touch with his former owner when we first had him (she gave him up because of her living arrangements and didn't want to), but his aggression didn't really start until a few months after we had him. And the shoe aggression? Not sure about when that started, but that's only been going on for a few months.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement