Potty training troubles - Page 2 - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2013, 05:48 PM   #11 (permalink)

Hi. My basset claude has only been having days where he has not had a single accident in the house for approx a month. He is 11 months now. He would always have 2-3 wees in the house a day but touch wood he is asking to go outside now and we have much fewer accidents. . He doesn't like the rain though! We went back to taking him out on a lead to reinforce things and then treating him as soon as he had finished in the garden. We also used clicker training. He always needs to have a wee after his dinner so we would take him out then. Crate training has also helped. Claude was not as quick to learn as my other dogs and I believe this is a basset trait. Hold on in there it will get better. But it may take a while yet.
claire8671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2013, 06:07 PM   #12 (permalink)

I did take a look at the other thread. I also will either clear an area or take her to a cleared area if there is snow. The 10-15 times a day is a bit of the frustration speaking. Most nights when I am home they are very rare but its mostly during the day when my wife is home with her. When I am home, a gate is put up in the door of the office and its me and her. Ill either be playing with her or she will be munching on a bone/toy or sleeping. As for it being cold, I dont leave her out there by herself. Last night I was outside with her for almost 20 minutes freezing while she was trying to eat the falling snow, that was rather cute be the way. She always gets a treat when so goes outside to the point now as soon as she gets back inside she will sit and wait for it. Tried the treat outside but after she would pee and get one, she wouldnt go #2 so this way has worked out well for us, well when she does go outside.

Ive tried telling my wife to put her in her room while she is busy so she cant roam the house as much but that doesnt seem to be happening. I know that that will help but if Im not home there isnt much I can do about it besides ask.

She is already holding her pee overnight which is great! But sometimes she will pee just because she wants too! I swear this little girl is so sassy and it drives me crazy. She will be looking me in the eye and than pee just a tiny bit if she isnt getting her way.
Sixguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:07 PM   #13 (permalink)

I think you need to crate train her. When you're not there and the puppy is with your wife, she can go in the crate when your wife is busy and can't keep a constant eye on her.

We crate trained our Maddie and also took her out on a lead for several months until it all clicked in her little head and she started going to the door asking to go out.

The efforts paid off - Maddie has had a total of about 6 accidents in the house, and she knows that when I say. 'Go potty, hurry' that she needs to go straight out, do her business, and then return to the house right after.

Housetraining can be done, but it can be exhausting. It will get better!

-San.
-SAN. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:52 PM   #14 (permalink)

I found that around 4 months it was a "terrible 2's" period in Lily's life. I was so proud of her for going outside and I relaxed all the training efforts - Heck! I was tired of doing it! I knew a basset was a slow learner/bladder development, but I was convinced that Lily was the ONE that would be trained.

Well, she wasn't. But now that she is a year, she is. But I know there are times that if I or the kids don't answer the bell at the door when she rings it, there will be something to clean up.

Good luck! There is a ton of info here... Listen to it. It will make it easier

Also Momma to 3 human kiddos
cjconner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:09 PM   #15 (permalink)

Maggie just peed all over my kitchen floor because the priss hates to get her feet wet outside in the rain. She's 2, we've had her 18 months and she's a gem unless it's raining. My fault really because I got distracted and wasn't watching for it even though I know better. She peed then went right into her crate and gave herself a time-out, silly girl <3

That was just me sharing, sorry it's not particularly helpful, but it is a good example of the importance of supervision.
1 whole love bug
MaggieMaysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:49 PM   #16 (permalink)

And tonight, I take her out around 7 and she does both. Ive got the TV on but my whole focus is on her and within 30 minutes of being inside, she walks onto her pillow looks at me and pees all over it. As I take the cover to the washer she than poops on the floor! I dont understand this. 30 minutes ago she just went outside and now under the watchful eye she does it again inside my house.
Sixguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:31 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixguns View Post
And tonight, I take her out around 7 and she does both. Ive got the TV on but my whole focus is on her and within 30 minutes of being inside, she walks onto her pillow looks at me and pees all over it. As I take the cover to the washer she than poops on the floor! I dont understand this. 30 minutes ago she just went outside and now under the watchful eye she does it again inside my house.
Sorry that happened and how frustrating that it happened within half an hour of being outside. My two biggest questions reading this are: (1) did you interrupt her peeing on the pillow? (2) Did you interrupt her pooing on the floor?

The best thing you could do is to startle her while she is doing these things and pick her up and take her out to the potty spot. If you catch things early enough, she will need to finish her business outside where you put her.

San is right and a crate will help you in this situation. Do you have one? If not, I would consider getting one ASAP. If this were Worm, i would have put him in the crates while I cleaned up his Pee. He would not have an opportunity for that second mistake.

It's also important to train her to the potty spot. The crate will help with this too. Since she does hold it overnight, what about having her stay in the crate either in your room or in the living room. Then when you wake in the morning, she will have to P and the best thing to do is to pick her up and take her outside to the potty spot and let her go first thing in the morning. Always have her on a leash for this so that you can control where she goes. Always take her to the same places as they are more likely to go there again. Once she does go, definitely give her a treat. And if this is the backyard then let her off leash as a reward for what she did. Help her not to confuse potty time with playtime. Potty first, then she gets to play.

Another problem is that I don't see that it will be easy to house train her unless you and your wife are on the same page about how to go about this. I'm not sure your efforts will work, if she is allowed to roam free at this young age of four months and make a lot of mistakes when she is with your wife. It does sound like the crate would be your best option, and having your wife put her in the crate when she is home and taking her out at regular intervals maybe the best solution. So your wife doesn't have to watch the puppy all the time.

As we said before, your puppy simply cannot be allowed to roam around on it's own unsupervised. It is like following a toddler around, but if you do a good job of it it will only be for a short time.

These days with worm, he is pretty much, knock on wood, trustworthy and he has not had any accidents ever in this new house in June which was a nice pleasant surprise. He actually pees and Poos on command funny enough And he does it quite efficiently. We still go out to the backyard at midnight and he quickly does his business and then we come back together, Rain or shine.

Maggie Mays mom, we feel your pain Growing up we had a dachshund that would pee inside every time it rains. He went on our couches and sofa and recliner and coffee table and dining room table legs and ruined a bunch of piano books also. Come to think of it he was not fully house trained He had full range of the backyard and a doggie door and he would choose to come inside when it rained to pee. It was really frustrating!

With worm, because we were in an apartment, we were forced to take him on a leash and take him outside From day one. I was impressed by how quickly he went to the same spot again and again and how easy it was to go for him to go outside. But I do feel like this was because he was on a leash and used to going On a leash. We quickly developed a 5 min walking routine outside. I'm not so sure it would've worked if we had a backyard and let him just run around the backyard. Knowing him, he would've just played and not Peed or pooed.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:36 AM   #18 (permalink)

I read some time back that some dogs like to pee on a carpet or somewhere warm and comfy instead or, or as well as, peeing outside because it's much more comfy than peeing outside in the snow or the rain. I just think that some Bassets seem to take longer than other dogs to become housetrained and it's probably hard to get rid of the scent once they have done it indoors and being able to smell where they went before probably encourages them to go again in the same place.
SophieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:37 AM   #19 (permalink)

I'm also having potty training problems with my new little one his name is Boomer he is going to be four months on the 17th he hasn't had a potty accident since yesterdaty afternoon but when it comes to a number 2 he's only done it once outside in the five days we've had him all the other times are inside 80% of the time is on his one puppy pad in the corner he will potty outside we walk around i say potty to him after 20 mins we come in and he runs to his pad to have a number 2!!On another note i have no clue on how to get him to not yelp in his crate,its a great size for him he has a soft cozy blanket he loves and his favorite squeaky lamb with him but he will whine and bark FOREVER it seems like I finally put him in bed with me lastnight and he had no accidents and slept wonderful and during the day when i get my daughter from school he's fine in his crate so i dont know any helpful advice would be great
m.kephart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:48 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieB View Post
I read some time back that some dogs like to pee on a carpet or somewhere warm and comfy instead or, or as well as, peeing outside because it's much more comfy than peeing outside in the snow or the rain. I just think that some Bassets seem to take longer than other dogs to become housetrained and it's probably hard to get rid of the scent once they have done it indoors and being able to smell where they went before probably encourages them to go again in the same place.
Maybe that's why I had an accident on the rug last week and on the carpet this morning... ohhhh did I ever get in TROUBLE
Esther is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement