Deep snow trouble - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2013, 08:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Deep snow trouble

Alrighty then. Along with terror of high wind (only when hearing it from inside the house) we have a new problem we've never seen before because we've never had this much snow before. 30" of it to be precise. Lollypop has taken to circling the house endlessly without piddling or pooping. I have used a snowblower to clear a few paths here and there (as well as the driveway) but there is very little territory for Lollypop to do her business. The snow is simply too deep. She appears bewildered and apparently very dissatisfied with the lack of appropriate facility. We can literally circumnavigate the house endlessly along aforementioned paths with a discernible escalation of anxiety as no open ground presents itself for her to do her business. Her tail is down and she appears rather skittish and timid. We've been out three times now with no relief (as it were). Aside from shoveling clear an entire 1/2 acre of land, what advice might someone offer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2013, 12:23 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Deep snow trouble

This scenario is why Gandy is paper trained. Well actually not newspapers anymore because he started shredding them. We use thick white towels. Easy to see poo on before you step on it and easy to bleach. We have vinyl underneath, but when we stay overnight somewhere with carpet, a tarp underneath takes care of it. All it took to start him was a towel and a spray of that puppy training stuff.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
CatherineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:30 AM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

stop circling stand in place as boring as possible. be prepared to be out there a while but one she goes it next time will be easier.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:15 AM   #4 (permalink)

What Mike said- in addition I'd tell her to pee or poop or whatever term you use, and praise her when she does.
murraysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:46 AM   #5 (permalink)

My sympathies re the depth of snow BUT tell her to be thankful she's not a boy!! When we had a dump (snow!) out in Canada, daylight the next morning would find me digging endless tracks round the property so the boys didn't have an ouch problem. Best I can suggest is you clear a good square area for Madam, and hope she gets on with it - nature is bound to kick in eventually much as back here, I have a Whippet who can hold for England. Away overnight a couple of times and she went 22 hours with nothing the first time (we were in and out of the hotel with her, to no avail but to the amuzement of those on reception), but was slightly better the second time. She has yet to 'go' off her property at home other than these two times however. Bitches!!

ps Tell her if she doesn't 'go' soon, it's off to the vet to be catheterised. That should get her going
FranksMum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:26 PM   #6 (permalink)

Was wondering what all you guys up there were doing with your dogs. We only got a foot here which is doable but my heart goes out to all of you. Really can't imagine even after looking at hundreds of pictures. Wish I could help but outside of taking her out more often, don't know how I would handle it. Keep us posted.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

Sorry to hear about the lovely lollipop. It sounds distressing, hope she found a way to do her business.
Worm
Old 02-11-2013, 04:41 PM   #8 (permalink)

Ok cool, thanks for the advice. I'm standing sentry now and we'll see what happens!
Old 02-11-2013, 10:16 PM   #9 (permalink)

I know it doesn't help now, but for the future... My folk have a mini-doxie and Dad always creates an area for her my putting plywood strung between the grill and a table to create a snow free area. Its about a 5x7 foot area for her (and of course immediate clean up)

Sophie (ATB (1996-2010)
Abby (ATB 2010 - 2012)
Jake (2001 - )
Ellie (2012 - )
Jnfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement