Colitis symptoms in rehomed Basset -Stress related? - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2013, 04:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Colitis symptoms in rehomed Basset -Stress related?

Our new Basset has settled in on the surface of it extremely well. She seems very happy & loves our other Basset. However she's much more clingy than him & seems slightly more anxious (understandable in the circumstances). We've had her 2 months & she's suffered colitis symptoms on & off. We've taken her up to the vets & they say she's well & maybe just a bit anxious due to rehoming. She was in a very stable & happy home previously & they treated her like a baby. Her previous owner sadly died. Therefore is it likely these symptoms may be mostly stress related? I myself suffer from stress related IBS so I feel for her. I've moved her onto hypoallergenic food (naturediet) but wondered if anybody else had any experience of this & any ideas that may help her. She's such a sweet girl!
Basset Mummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2013, 05:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I am so sorry to hear of your Basset suffering from colitis it's miserable for dog & owner, our two suffered for years (they are related) & well do I remember sleeping on the floor beside them at night letting them out every 45 mins & having to wipe blood off their trousers!. Good on you for taking on a pre loved Basset & yes if she is anxious, clingy or stressful it can easily set it off, one of ours can still suffer (though not requiring meds as in the past) by my going away for a couple of nights or just out for the day.

For years believed it stemmed from food intolerance's, I'd try a new food & all would be well for a couple of months & then it would start again, every 2/3 weeks. I'm told it is not unusual for a dog to settle on a new food for a short while before it causes problems. I'd then try something else & yes all would be well for some months untill the vicious cycle began again, did try nature diet (wanting to get closer to more natural food) but for us it was the worst, the quality was inconsistent & at times rancid but believe their quality control is better now. Eventually tried Robbies & success, for three years they rarely suffered but didn't like the high % of rice so after years of pontificating about it changed them to raw with bones (having narrowed it down to lamb vertebra) & success, they very very rarely have a problem. I'm a great believer in a varied diet for a healthy gut (yes I know colitis stems from the colon) & personally disagree with bulking up food with any form of grains, but what you really need is to find something that gives her relief. Rarely have to resort to a vet visit for colitis now, knowing my dogs at the first sign of problems always have kaolin & morphine in the house and give a couple of doses to settle things down.

It is still early days for her, having been lucky enough to have had two loving homes, Robbies worked for us & another that is often derided but works wonders is old fashioned Chappie. Good luck to you both from across the Solent.
Vectisvagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for your reply & good wishes. Yes Chappie is what we feed our other Basset on & was recommended by his breeder along with Arden Grange kibble. It was my plan to hopefully feed her on that as its one of the better main brands but I got her naturediet in the hope it would be easy on her tummy. We'll see I suppose! Although she does eat her meals she sometimes looks a little reluctant and I think it's because she's a little uncomfortable. Other days when she's feeling better, she'll scoff it down. She'll go a few days being fine & then have an upset tummy. Although she's very happy & loved I think it must have been a great shock to her to leave her Mum. They were always together before she sadly passed away. She's a quiet & needy little soul where my male Basset is a self sufficient & confident boy. She's like my little shadow! She also trembles a little when first going to sleep. She doesn't do it at any other time & has been checked over at the vets & they think that its due to being slightly anxious. Stops immediately you fuss her. Maybe she just needs lots of reassurance & time to adjust. I have noticed she's really latched onto my Mum who is a similar age, build & likeness to her previous owner. Saying all this she's very happy though & sits cuddled up to my other Basset. They wash each others faces & play together so well. Plus my 7 year old daughter absolutely adores her. Just a shame to see her having this & was interested to see if other people had experienced this with their dogs & if it improves.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

sorry, I have no advice to add to help you baby. I hope she settles in soon. And your mom may be a great comfort to transition her since she is much like her former owner.

All I can say, is be patient, and give her lots of cuddles during her adaption.

Sophie (ATB (1996-2010)
Abby (ATB 2010 - 2012)
Jake (2001 - )
Ellie (2012 - )
Jnfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:55 AM   #5 (permalink)

Yes, we woke up to a poo explosion in the kitchen this morning. Going to return to fresh chicken & rice for a few days as that helped a few weeks ago. To make matters worse, after spending the first 40 mins of the day furiously cleaning & scrubbing the kitchen floor the cat then decided to do projectile vomit on my shiny clean floor & I had that to clean it all again!. Poo & sick seem to be my life in a nutshell so far today. Dog now having cuddles on the sofa poor mite & I hopefully might get a cup of tea before anyone else has the runs or is sick!!
Old 02-10-2013, 05:29 AM   #6 (permalink)

Poor all of you! Never had colitis in our family but a friend of mine has some problems with her French bulldog. She swears by Naturediet senior lite - no idea why as Bridget is neither fat or senior - but it seems to work for her. She also gives probiotics in a pill form. I hope your lady is feeling better soon.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:33 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basset Mummy View Post
Our new Basset has settled in on the surface of it extremely well. She seems very happy & loves our other Basset. However she's much more clingy than him & seems slightly more anxious (understandable in the circumstances). We've had her 2 months & she's suffered colitis symptoms on & off. We've taken her up to the vets & they say she's well & maybe just a bit anxious due to rehoming. She was in a very stable & happy home previously & they treated her like a baby. Her previous owner sadly died. Therefore is it likely these symptoms may be mostly stress related? I myself suffer from stress related IBS so I feel for her. I've moved her onto hypoallergenic food (naturediet) but wondered if anybody else had any experience of this & any ideas that may help her. She's such a sweet girl!
Just a thought, but have you had a fecal done? My Frankie came to us at 4 months, doing this kind of thing on and off until I finally collected some of what he was producing and had my vet run one. Including a check for Giardia, Salmonella, Coccidia etc. His result came back positive for roundworm eggs, and GIARDIA!!! I was horrified, especially as he came from somebody I'd known for years. I'm 99.9% certain it wasn't picked up on our property (my late hound wasn't suffering, and nor was our then Whippet youngster although I had her checked!!)

Frankie was treated although it took a switch from a high dose Panacur to Metronadazole (sp?) before we started to get negative results.

Meantime, it left him with a tendency to go to this firm in the morning, slop by the end of the day to the point that in the end, having gone back and forth to the vet for weeks, I saw one who was over from the sister practice who gave him an anti inflammatory shot, and a case of Hills ID, suggesting that once he finished the ID, I switch him to a fish based diet. The improvement was virtually instant (such a relief not to be standing out there dreading what he was next going to produce ) and I started making up Coley and mashed potato, moving on to Arden Grange Sensitive. Expensive (it's haddock and potato) but if it keeps him regular and away from the vet, worth every penny.

A fecal test is highly recommended, although yes, this could be down to stress.

Another thought - there is a product in the UK called Kalm Aid. Frankie was on this to help him through surgery to flush and pack his anal glands, and also have two masses taken off his tail set-on. He was making a right meal of all that, but Kalm Aid sorted him out!! Rescue Remedy in water can help too although that's more difficult to administer if you have numbers all using the same bowl.

Last edited by FranksMum; 02-10-2013 at 05:35 AM.
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:43 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Franks Mum, not had a dog suffer from giardia (thank g), do they get chronic diarrhea with blood or do they also suffer from mucus, jelly & sausage like covered stools ?
Old 02-10-2013, 11:12 AM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks for all the comments. I spoke to my vet over the phone today and I'm going to take her in tomorrow for a check up. The vet said she didn't feel the need to see her today (avoiding emergency call out on a Sunday) & unless she got worse, tomorrow would be fine. I'll mention to the vet about those tests. She wasn't really tempted by the boiled chicken and rice. The chicken yes, but the rice no. Even with the chicken she was pretty uninterested. Vet said to starve her for the rest of the day. She's lethargic and just slept most of the day but seems happy when fussed. I think she may have a sore tummy as she walks a little slowly etc. I felt all over and she doesn't react to pressure on any one point and is not bloated or swollen. Having just gone through a very bad attack of IBS myself this month I kind of know how she feels. I think I might order the Arden Grange sensitive next time instead of larger breed normal kibble. Hopefully she'll feel better soon. I'm such a worrier with the animals/children etc! I hate to see them poorly!
Old 02-10-2013, 11:35 AM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

So so sorry she must be feeling very uncomfortable. I learnt early on (for our two) that giving chicken & rice after sickness, diarrhoea or colitis that it only made things far worse. Have you tried a little scrambled egg, fish (as FM mentioned) is good, bland & perhaps try potato rather than rice. As tinned Chappie has such great reports (even from vets) why not try her on that for a while I've often thought (found) with colitis that a wet food rather than a dry kibble is easier on the stomach?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement