Colitis symptoms in rehomed Basset -Stress related? - Page 2 - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2013, 01:34 PM   #11 (permalink)

Yes once she's back on food my plan is to try to get her to join Harry on Chappie & a handful of Arden Grange kibble. That's what Harry's breeder recommended & he's thrived on it. Just difficult getting the right food combination for Mrs Basset! You give them something to make them feel better & it probably makes them worse. So frustrating! Hopefully it'll improve as she settles in more. She's a bit perkier now but has an empty tummy which may make her feel better. Her tummy has been gurgling away. See what the vet thinks tomorrow. Thanks for all the thoughts!
Basset Mummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2013, 08:12 AM   #12 (permalink)

Right, dog has been up to the vets. Possibly colitis but are testing for parasites too. I've got to take 3 days worth of stool samples up on Wednesday! (My! My life just gets more glamorous by the minute!). Had more runny bottom on the kitchen floor first thing too! Dog has been given a steroid shot to ease colitis symptoms & got probiotics to take. Also given Hills prescription food from the vets for a week. This morning the dog wouldn't touch anything, even fresh chicken, but 4 hrs after vet visit she ate a very small amount of food & seems slightly brighter. Steroid shot short lasting though (24hrs) so see if its just that. In my opinion I have a feeling it's colitis, maybe stress from rehoming, vet didn't think it was anything too sinister but its a good idea to check for parasites as she's a rehomed dog. Hoping my little lady feels better soon!
Old 02-11-2013, 08:34 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectisvagrant View Post
Franks Mum, not had a dog suffer from giardia (thank g), do they get chronic diarrhea with blood or do they also suffer from mucus, jelly & sausage like covered stools ?
Frankie had all of that before we treated him. Once we started to get neg.fecals, he'd start the day with perfectly normal stools, but by the end of the day, had gone to slop - no blood however, and not coated stools (nor before treatment) just this end of the day nonsense. Until we got it all calmed down, as described. I didn't now about this either, before him, but had to read up on it fast. I gather, incidentally, that even with neg.fecals, that might only mean he's not shedding at that time, and that further, treatment may not get them all, some burrowing into the gut to lie dormant until the animal becomes stressed at which point it could all kick off again. I think that's correct. Pray God this doesn't happen with Frankie!!

Hope you don't have a meal on the go

Edit - I should have said I hope you get to the 'bottom' of what's going on with your girl - pun intended!

Last edited by FranksMum; 02-11-2013 at 08:40 AM.
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:30 AM   #14 (permalink)

Thanks, love the name Frank for a Basset by the way! Yes I think you're right on the shedding. I've got to collect 3 days worth as one day could be clear. Hopefully if there's something there, they will find it. One of my cats had cat flu when young & thats similiar. Although he's now 16 & fighting fit, if stressed he sheds & sneezes & looks poorly for a few days (he did this when we first got the dogs, now he is best friends with them!). Hopefully we'll sort it. I had to go for blood tests for my IBS this morning, at this rate I'll be getting my PHD in dodgy bellies!! Dog & Human!
Old 02-12-2013, 08:20 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basset Mummy View Post
Thanks, love the name Frank for a Basset by the way!
Frankie - named after a certain 'fallen from grace' Italian jockey - I'm a big (disappointed) fan! Frankie's registered name is *kennel name* Latin Lover, so my sister immediately says well he HAS to be Frankie!!!
Old 02-12-2013, 12:10 PM   #16 (permalink)

LOL! That's just brilliant! Yes I have to agree he's become a bit of a disappointment recently!! On the sick dog front, I'm pleased to say my little lady dog is vastly improved. Eating again and looking a lot more chipper! However second Basset who is fighting fit has had runny poo with mucas in, so the vet has prescribed strong antibiotics for them both as she now suspects it is a parasite or possible bug (probably a parasite - mine are keen cat & horse poo eaters!). Dropping stool samples in tomorrow!

I'm hoping it's something temporary rather than having long term stress or allergy related colitis. It was strange as her previous owner fed her supermarket cheap food (Aldi's own) so she can't be too food sensitive. I have no Aldi nearby so couldn't keep her on the same food. And apparently no history of Colitis I've since discovered. Anyway I have Hills prescription for them both at the moment, so I've started mixing that in with the rice and chicken. Stomach and poo is somewhat improving! In the longterm I plan to get them both on the Chappie & Arden Grange mix that Harry has done so well on. She's now walking and acting normally and around 70% up to speed so maybe the antibiotics are kicking in. Here's hoping!!
Old 02-12-2013, 02:35 PM   #17 (permalink)

Hiya Basset Mummy,

Glad to hear the gal is doing better. and yeah, prob good to get checked out. i wasn't sure what was going on with Worm's tummy early in January when he had diarrhea and loose stools. I was waiting for it to go away on it's own and it didn't.

took him to vet and found he has a Clostridium infection-- kinda strange bacterial infection. he was full of those little buggers. they put him on 2 antibiotics (can be difficult to eliminate as they are anaerobic bacteria) and fortunately for him, it cleared everything by Day 4. everything started going back to normal after then.

hope it is the same for your gal and she has a full recovery soon. thank you for taking her in!
Old 02-15-2013, 09:34 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basset Mummy View Post
(probably a parasite - mine are keen cat & horse poo eaters!). Dropping stool samples in tomorrow!
Just a thought - our second Basset who came to us from a 'reputable breeder' at 10 weeks, shortly afterwards went down with something dire. Try as we/they might, none of the vets at the practice we used was able to get to the root of what was going on and fact is, had it been known at the time (this was back at the beginning of the 70s) I'd have said he had Parvo. He was such a sick boy that even after he was finally making progress, we had to leave him back to his breeder to continue with his recovery as we were leaving for Canada. He joined us some 4 months later.

Homer wasn't going off our property yet when he went down with whatever it was, so the ONLY thing, other than the fact our first, older hound was going out off our property and could have walked something back in, was the fact he would lick at bird droppings in the garden = E.Coli!!!

I hope you get an answer because 'inconclusive' is so frustrating, and nothing empties a Bank account faster
Old 02-17-2013, 10:26 AM   #19 (permalink)

Hi all,

Well the stool sample tests came back positive for Campylobacter which she probably picked up from eating poo or drinking dirty water in the fields. She's been on antibiotics all week and the runny poo has completely cleared up & returned to normal, so the vet thinks that's the bacteria dealt with. However she's had a bad case of it and it's left her with an inflamed stomach. She's been belching like and old drunk and had big tummy rumbles. She has also been feeling under the weather and off her food still. However the vet has now put her on anti acids, other medicine to ease the gut and probiotics and she's slowly improving. I'm going to be really paranoid when she goes out in future now!

Some dogs/people get this and it's very mild, but others can have a bad time with it. She doesn't have Pancreatitis luckily and the vet is very confidant that her tummy is just in a bad way after a bad bout of this little bacteria. She tested negative for all other parasites and bacteria's.

Thanks for all the help through a difficult week or so! Got my fingers crossed we're on the right road to full recovery!

So please we insured her as it's mounting up. The only positive thing about it all is that she has lost some of the weight she needed to. She was 32kg and needed to be about 25kg. (previous owner fed her human food etc). She's now at 27kg which she has got to in just over 2 months. Not an ideal weight to reach your target weight though!
Old 02-17-2013, 12:52 PM   #20 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Good news, glad you have got things sorted. Hope her stomach settles soon.
Vectisvagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement