Sleepy owner... - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2013, 01:48 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Sleepy owner...

My two year old basset hound is a terrible sleeper. She plays every night before bed to tire her out, then goes to sleep for a few hours and wakes back up around twelve or one. I'll let her out to go potty and after she comes in she barks nonstop for at least an hour. It's not even a howl, it almost sounds like she's screaming. There's nothing new outside that would have scared her. My other basset hound isn't at all bothered by her barking which leads me to believe whatever has scared her may be in her head. Any advice would me much appreciated as this owner needs some sleep.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Bella0415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2013, 12:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

Is she barking at the door ,at you ,or is it directed somewhere else.I would think if something outside scared her she would start barking out there first
bubbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

If Maddie did this, I would go outside with her on that potty trip and see if there's something going on that might cause the near screaming. If that gets ruled out as the cause, then I would watch her to see if she's doing that due to another cause rather than fear. Does she not want you to go back to bed? Does she do this even if you stay in the room with her?

Does the other dog go out on this midnight potty trip? I find it interesting the barking doesn't bother them.

-San.
-SAN. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

Default Sleepy owner...

She always starts the barking while outside and I will go to make sure there's nothing that could cause her to be scared and my other basset hound will go out at the same time and not find anything to be bothered by and come back in. I make her come inside too so she doesn't wake the neighbors but she will continue to bark at the door no matter how much you either try to comfort her or ignore her. We've tried both. I'm not sure if its some sort of anxiety attack because she is scared of a lot of things.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:23 PM   #5 (permalink)

Geez, that sounds miserable. Sorry, I have no insight into your problem. Sounds like you are trying the whole spectrum. Have you tried a toy that may occupy her like a Kong filled with peanut butter that may keep her busy and off the barking? Just a thought...

I don't have that problem, both of mine are ALWAYS ready for bedtime. They usually go out for the last time around 11pm, then are generally ready in the AM around 7 (not great for weekends in my opinion!) Once in a while one or both will want out at some insane hour like 4-5 am. If I take them out, they will sleep in a bit later.

Sophie (ATB (1996-2010)
Abby (ATB 2010 - 2012)
Jake (2001 - )
Ellie (2012 - )
Jnfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:19 AM   #6 (permalink)

Hershey wakes up EVERY night at 2am to be let out, we have tried everything as well. Took food/ water away after supper, let her out before we go to bed and she still whines to be let out every night. We are lucky it is winter right now cause she isn't interested in staying out long but in the summer time she likes to sniff and check out the yard before coming back in Im hoping that when we get the new puppy it wont follow Hershey in going out everynight, however it might make house training a bit easier
Annieann77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:08 PM   #7 (permalink)

I'm not sure what type of area you live in, but I suspect a nocturnal critter in the yard that the other dog is used to. Maybe even something near that she smells and not necessarily sees.
We have a 1/2 acre wooded non-fenced backyard and Maggie sometimes goes nuts at night at the sliding glass door at something we can't see.
Not that my guess helps much...hope things get better!
1 whole love bug
MaggieMaysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:41 PM   #8 (permalink)

Could be something as weird as a limb in the breeze if you can't see anything .Be sure it is well lit.Possibly put a leash on her take her out see if you can narrow down what is scaring her and when you bring her in get her away from the door before you take off the leash,in fact once you get her away from the door sit on the floor with her ,maybe with a treat or two and talk to her in a calming voice so she settles down. Do not know if this will actually help and it means a bit extra for you to do but it would be worth it if it helps.
bubbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:46 PM   #9 (permalink)

Default Sleepy owner...

Thanks everyone for the ideas. She's a little more work than my older hound but I love her just the same. I'm just glad she's mine because I think sometimes someone else may have given her away or worse put her out on the street by now.

Old 02-15-2013, 04:29 PM   #10 (permalink)

I totally feel your pain. I have two 15 month old basset boys that are doing this EVERY night!!! It's like they wait until I'm ready for bed then make a mad dash outside and start barking. There's nothing out there, I always check, but they will bark for two hours straight. I've tried everything and nothing is working. They basically wear themselves out then finally come in and get in bed around 2am. I'm wore out all the time.
mabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement