Underactive Thyroid in a Basset - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2013, 03:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Underactive Thyroid in a Basset

Eclair saw the vet for her annual today and has put on 10lbs in 12 months. I don't overfeed according to the vet, she gets minimal treats and regular exercise. The vet suspects an underactive thyroid. Blood work has been sent off and we will regrou next weekend. Has anyone experienced thyroid issues n their Basset? Is it common, what will it mean for her? I'm freakingout!
eclairs mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2013, 07:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Yes, Lucas is being treated for an under active thyroid. He has no weight issues (slim), a little lethargic (have/had put this down to having been a paraplegic along with two slipped discs), bald patches on his flanks (both sides) & a thin hash coat. First blood test showed thyroid levels were 'just' within range but TSH levels were non existent from this our vet has began treating him with soloxine, 12 weeks on another blood test, thyroid levels slightly improved but bald areas are just as bad if not worse & still itchy. This is not normal for thyroid - the patches yes but not itching - & I'm beginning to wonder if the diagnosis is correct! Think when he has his next blood test shall be asking for broader spectrum hormone levels to be checked.
Vectisvagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:26 AM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

She is nueter correct, it is a far more frequent occurance in nueter dogs than intact although there is thought to be a strong genetic link as well. Had a beagle that was on thyroid medication it work very effectively without any adverse side effects.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks guys, did lots of research this weekend, she has many of the symptoms that individually seem like nothing, but together add up to more. Yes Mikey, she is spay. I saw the vet in passing at the store today, we have to await her blood results to confirm it, but he reassured me that its quite contrlable with a simple synthetic medication and monitoring.
At least its not life threatening!
eclairs mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement