Sick Basset :( - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2013, 07:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation Sick Basset :(

Hello i have a 10 mo. old basset named Mopar. I started noticing him getting sick yesterday morning when i came home from work he was a bit lethargic and not himself. As the night went on his temp went up and he wouldn't eat i did convince him to drink a bit of ice water. i wiped him down with a wet cloth and set the fan in front of him. The temp went down later last night he seemed to be getting back to normal. then through the night he was back up when i left for work this morning he seemed to be ok a bit on the lazy side. when i came home he was back to a sick puppy again. i did finally get him to drink some chicken broth but he is so lethargic he cant even get up on the couch. the vet is closed tonight and i am going to get him in tomorrow. Also there is nothing he could have ate that would have made him sick either.

Any ideas on what is wrong with my poor baby?
Or what i can do to nurse him back to health?

Thanks,
Worried sick momma
Joandradt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2013, 08:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

I don't have a lot that can help....my heart goes out to you though, I know how awful it feels when are babies are sick. My only advice would be to get him to a vet asap.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

It's the worst when you can't get them to the vet until the next day. I have been that person sitting up all night with a sick pet more times than I can tell you. Do you have a vet with emergency hours? If you think he's worsening overnight, at least that is an option. They're pricey, but so worth it.

I hope he does ok until you can get him in to see the doctor. In the meantime, do a search here on the forum and see if you can find any info that can help you in the meantime. Also, do a google search, too. I don't know anything helpful to tell you, but searching the web may help.

I hope to hear that he's on the mend very soon. Keep us posted

Molly McFreckles' World:
The adventures of a Basset Hound living with Addison's Disease and a baby brother named Winston
MollyMcFrecklesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

I am so sorry to hear your baby is sick. It is always so heartbreaking and stressful.

Around here (Roanoke, VA) we have an Emergency Vet Clinic that is open when normal business hours are closed. They are pretty pricey, but I have myself used them and they were great. If you have anything like that in your area, I would take him ASAP. If not, I would try everything to get liquids in him. (eyedroppers, feeding melon (full of water), ice cubes, etc) I would also try to keep his temp down. Then be at the vets before they open and not leave until the see the little guy.

I wish you both the best, and keep us posted on his condition.

Sophie (ATB (1996-2010)
Abby (ATB 2010 - 2012)
Jake (2001 - )
Ellie (2012 - )
Jnfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:21 AM   #5 (permalink)

How is the little guy this morning? I am not on here much anymore, but I wanted to stop by and check on him.

Molly McFreckles' World:
The adventures of a Basset Hound living with Addison's Disease and a baby brother named Winston
Old 02-02-2013, 09:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

Default Sick Basset :(

Hope his doing better!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Dooley Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:52 AM   #7 (permalink)

sorry to hear your basset is sick, please keep us posted if you want. we'll be thinking of you here.

yeah if it were my basset, i'd want to know what was causing the fever... the vets would be the answer i think. because many things can cause fever and they prob need to check additional tests to find out. such as blood tests, other tests, maybe imaging, etc.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:09 AM   #8 (permalink)

Update on Mopar:
Thanks everyone for being concerned! The vet wasn't opened like i had thought... so i had found some Clavamox from last time he was sick and gave him that and some homemade chicken and noodles and perked up and is almost back to normal. Has no fever and is eating and drinking normal... running, playing, barking, and getting into stuff like the normal little Mo! Thanks again to you all! this is my first time using this site and it wont be my last.
Joandradt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:17 AM   #9 (permalink)

Glad he is on his way back to normal!!

Molly McFreckles' World:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement