Obsessive Barking - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2013, 05:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Obsessive Barking

My 15 month old basset brothers over the past week have taken to constant, obsessive barking. They wait until we head to bed, lay down for about 5 minutes, then they storm out the doggie door and the barking begins. Every night this week they start barking by 11 p.m. and do it almost constantly until 3-4 a.m. We have checked outside to see if there are any triggers and there aren't. They just wander around the yard barking and howling. It got bad enough where we puchased one of those ultrasonic sound machines that would emit that high pitch sound to discourage the barking and it did absolutely nothing.

I need help with this!!! If I crate them they bark. If we lock them out of our room they bark. If we do nothing they bark. Nobody in our house and around our neighborhood is getting any sleep. I just don't know what to do!

Please please please help!
mabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2013, 06:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

First of all I'd be shutting that doggie door before the neighbors get really ticked.
Chili-Ch Soundtrack Spice Up Your Life
Curry-Ch Soundtrack Canadian Brass
Pepper-Ch Pennieslogon Living La Vida Loca CGN
Vina-Ch Soundtrack Grand Illusion
Leila-Ch Soundtrack Almost Paradise
Deela-Ch Soundtrack Wink Of An Eye
Hermione - Soundtrack Spellbound
Eowyn - Soundtrack Rain Dance
Soundtrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

My beagle will go out just as it's getting dark and for the next 2 hours it's in and out to howl..she's totally obsessed with this. At the end of 2 hours, I lock the dog door until she calms down. She doesn't howl inside anymore...I sprayed her with water one night and that solved the indoor problem. I know that this is mostly instinct with her and that at night she can hear and smell better...call it instinct, boredom, lack of exercise, habit, whatever....frankly, I think she just enjoys it so I have compromised and let her have her two hours...but then, my neighbors are far away enough not to be bothered.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

Default Obsessive Barking

Gandy has nights line that and locking the dog door takes care of it.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
CatherineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

Fortunately, I don't have too much of that problem, however, we just got over Ellie yapping at Jake because SHE wanted to play, him, not so much. But we were inside and our neighbors aren't too close.

I am NOT an expert at behavior, but my first thing would be block off the doggie door at night (neighbors would probably appreciate), do something to wear them out just before bedtime so they are sleepy.

Is it possible that they are missing you at night and don't want to be left alone? Are they house trained enough that they could have a bed(s) in your room to be close to you?

Just my immediate thoughts...

ETA... Mine do not like to be separated from me any more than necessary. I am gone to work during the day, but the moment I get home, they are with me, either watching tv, ect... or up in the bedroom for sleep time.

Sophie (ATB (1996-2010)
Abby (ATB 2010 - 2012)
Jake (2001 - )
Ellie (2012 - )

Last edited by Jnfr; 02-01-2013 at 09:21 PM.
Jnfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:59 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the suggestions. They sleep in our bed, or should i say did sleep in our bed, prior to the last week howling adventure. I did block the doggie door about 2am. That stopped it for that night. I don't want them having accidents in the house. God knows potty training them both was a nightmare. At this point, if shutting the dog door doesn't do it I don't know what to do. One of those vibrating collars maybe? I just don't understand why this has happened all of the sudden. There has been no change in anything. Schedule is exactly the same, playtime and walks the same, etc. It's like they are seeing or hearing something out there in the yard. I can't stop nature so I'm at my wits end.
mabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement